Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Football

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Iowa Football

Since Iowa turned the corner in '01, they've had success but when you take out the '02 season their big 10 conference record is hardly as impressive as one might think.

Record vs. Opponent

Illinois 4-0 (they suck)
    Penn St. 3-0 (probably the most impressive record)
    Minnesota 4-1 (the Iowa State of the Big 10)
    Indiana 2-1 (they also suck)
    Wisconsin 3-2 (Also a pretty good record)
    Purdue 3-2 (been bad but they are coming back)

Michigan St. 1-2
    Northwestern 1-2
    Ohio St. 1-3
    Michigan 1-4

Overall Conference Record (23-17)

As you can see, generally good teams have owned them over the past few years. I'm not trying to take away what Iowa has done but they havent been as dominate as EIU fans would like u to think they've been.

All that BS about goin to january bowl games....well it helps to have 3 bowl games slotted for that time (BCS, outback, and capitol one) And when all bowl games care about is money, all Iowa has to do is finish in the top 4 or 5 to go to a January bowl game because bowls take them over more deserving teams (add in the alamo bowl this year, it isn't a jan. 1 bowl but they are undeserving of it. Again, not trying to take away from Iowa but going to January 1st bowl games doesn't mean what they think it does.

Rookie
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Iowa Football

I agree with your point about the bowls. It is a case of colleges trying to have it both ways. ISU went to bowl games in recent history with a "well its just the ____ (Fill in bowl name)" followed by "were going to a Jan 1st bowl." They are all just bowl games minus the BCS. All of the other bowls are trying to make money. It is big business and since there are so many the best package determines who plays when, not the best record.
    That being said, I would love that conference record over the same time period.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 650
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by spinback32 View Post
    Since Iowa turned the corner in '01, they've had success but when you take out the '02 season their big 10 conference record is hardly as impressive as one might think.
    Umm, I've never thought they have been impressive. They've been playing in a weak conference for years, which is why their record gets padded. I would't say they've turned the corner either (as far as being an actually deserving ranked team), they've been very fortunate to have a schedule full of bad teams which they've taken advantage of. Not that its their fault, they are just lucky to not have to play a bunch of really good teams every year.

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Well it is partly deserving. Are we there? Nope. Every teams is going to be picked over by a team at some point in their history. Unfortunately this isnt a way around it. But if you keep putting yourself in that position than that has to say something positive about the program.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

I would hardly call the Big 10 weak this year though. OSU the best team in the country and Michigan arguably the 2nd best in the country with Wisconsin a pretty solid #3 team at #7 in the BCS standings. Big 10 is probably the best conference in the country this year IMO. That's not giving props to Iowa though, they did lose to some pretty mediocre teams and even some of the bad ones gave them a run.

The Big 12 was really down this year sadly which really makes our season look even worse with just 4 wins.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 42

Travman -
    Do you really disagree with most of the posts on this site or do you just enjoy stirring up controversy? All of the posts I've read of yours take up positions that are contrary to those in the thread (i.e defending Ron Maly, defending Big 10, etc).

Just wondering where you are coming from.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I would hardly call the Big 10 weak this year though. OSU the best team in the country and Michigan arguably the 2nd best in the country with Wisconsin a pretty solid #3 team at #7 in the BCS standings. Big 10 is probably the best conference in the country this year IMO. That's not giving props to Iowa though, they did lose to some pretty mediocre teams and even some of the bad ones gave them a run.

The Big 12 was really down this year sadly which really makes our season look even worse with just 4 wins.
    I will agree the OSU, Mich, and Wisc, had great years, but after that what is there in the big 10 this year? Penn St. was average and they're #4...the big 10 was top heavy and they might have had the best top 3 in the country but I don't think they were the best conference. I'd take the SEC, even tho I despise most of the teams, before the Big 10. The Big 12 was week this year but if a ref wouldn't have blown it Oklahoma would be in the argument for national title consideration and so would have Texas had they not lost Colt McCoy. Okie St., K-State, and Texas A&M all rebounded this year and will be contenders next year along with Tech if they don't get rid of Leach. Mizzou was a surprise this year, and Nebraska showed that they are for real. Colorado looks to be back on the upswing and Kansas has potential again next year. Not to mention ISU who is probably a couple years away from being in the Big 12 north hunt again.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 105

Watch out for the "quit worrying about Iowa" post that's bound to be coming from one of our buddies. We're not allowed to talk about them because it means we are their little brother.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 74

I don't think Iowa gets a pass this year because the Big 10 was a good conference. True, I won't argue that OSU and Michigan may be the best two teams in the country, but they both took care of Iowa. Wisconsin has a solid record, but the only quality team the Badgers played was Michigan, which they lost. Wisconsin also took care of Iowa, obviously.

The January bowl argument is weak, no doubt. Finish third behind Michigan and OSU and you are in. This year with both going to the BCS, a 4th place finish in the Big 10 and you play in January. Throwing out the rest of the league, which is pretty bad, it leaves these leftover bowls to Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn State which had been down for a while.

ISU fans would love to get a bowl as high as even the Alamo. If ISU could get into the Alamo or better with the record Iowa posted this year, Mac would have gotten there 5 times. And we know that we did not have that many teams deserving of a bowl at that level.

The Big 10 has great bowl agreements, and a league that drops off quite a bit after the top 2, Iowa has certainly taken advantage of that. Though their record against the top competition definately shows that they aren't on the top tier yet, despite what many of their fans would try to tell you.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,040
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post

I am going to have to agree to dissagree on that one, the SEC is loaded.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think we Iowa State fans don't like to give Iowa quite as much credit as they deserve. Is that a bad thing? No way! However, Iowa has put together a tradition of winning in football, something we haven't quite done yet. Sure, when they say that they went to January bowl games 4 years in a row, we know that statement is very deceiving.

However, I have to look at myself and recall that like many other Cyclone fans, I have bragged about going to 5 bowl games in 6 years. Although it was a real accomplishment, it wasn't nearly as good as it would lead one to believe. Generally you would think of a bowl team as being in the top portion of a conference, just as you would think of a January bowl team as one of the elite in a conference. I just believe that we should look at ourselves before pointing the finger at the other side of the state.

With that being said, I would agree with nearly all of the points made on this post regarding Iowa (minus the bit about the Big 10 being the strongest conference).

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    The January bowl argument is weak, no doubt. Finish third behind Michigan and OSU and you are in. This year with both going to the BCS, a 4th place finish in the Big 10 and you play in January. Throwing out the rest of the league, which is pretty bad, it leaves these leftover bowls to Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn State which had been down for a while.

ISU fans would love to get a bowl as high as even the Alamo. If ISU could get into the Alamo or better with the record Iowa posted this year, Mac would have gotten there 5 times. And we know that we did not have that many teams deserving of a bowl at that level.
    This is a very good point. Dont know why, but I didnt think of it that way.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by spinback32 View Post

Record vs. Opponent

Illinois 4-0 (they suck)
    Penn St. 3-0 (probably the most impressive record)
    Minnesota 4-1 (the Iowa State of the Big 10)
    Indiana 2-1 (they also suck)
    Wisconsin 3-2 (Also a pretty good record)
    Purdue 3-2 (been bad but they are coming back)

Michigan St. 1-2
    Northwestern 1-2
    Ohio St. 1-3
    Michigan 1-4

Overall Conference Record (23-17)

As you can see, generally good teams have owned them over the past few years. I'm not trying to take away what Iowa has done but they havent been as dominate as EIU fans would like u to think they've been.

All that BS about goin to january bowl games....well it helps to have 3 bowl games slotted for that time (BCS, outback, and capitol one) And when all bowl games care about is money, all Iowa has to do is finish in the top 4 or 5 to go to a January bowl game because bowls take them over more deserving teams (add in the alamo bowl this year, it isn't a jan. 1 bowl but they are undeserving of it. Again, not trying to take away from Iowa but going to January 1st bowl games doesn't mean what they think it does.
    I think its great ISU has hired a new coach and it appears a good choice. I think the belittling Iowa to make ones self feel better is getting a little old. Iowa has won two Big Ten titles in the last few years and appeared in New Years games something ISU has not done. Iowa also won several Big Ten titles in the 80s as well as appear in New Years games. So I dont thinkg its fair saying Iowa has not done much. Hopefully with a new coach ISU can approach those accomplishments and it will be great for the state of Iowa. At the current time I think ISU would do well to concentrate on getting themselves to the next level and not worry about Iowa. Then Iowa will have to look at ISU's accomplishments.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by jparker22 View Post
    ISU went to bowl games in recent history with a "well its just the ____ (Fill in bowl name)" followed by "were going to a Jan 1st bowl."
    If I remember correctly, didn't their last glorious Jan. 1 bowl start at 10:00 a.m. CST? Whoopee! Prestigious indeed!

Walk On
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Iowa had a great run from 2002-2004. It seemed like they could do no wrong. They won several games over that period of time that they had no business winning. Purdue in 02, LSU in 04, etc. With the exception of ISU in 2002, Iowa won seemingly every close game and found ways to win. It helped having Kaeding and some good offensive lines.

In 2005 and 2006, times have changed. Iowa is now finding ways to lose all the games that they had been winning. There have been several games that they have frankly just ****** away. The breaks are not falling there way, example the onside kickoff call against Florida.

Ferentz got a reputation as a great o-line coach. It is interesting that since his one coach (do not know name) left for Green Bay the offensive line has been average at best.

What does this mean going forward? I have no idea. For 3 years, it looked like Ferentz was the best coach in college football. The last 2 he has looked very average. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. The string of all the breaks going their way had to end as some point in time. I am very interested to see which way Iowa goes in the next couple of years.