Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 67

2009 Offensive Depth Chart and Analysis (long)

Here is my prediction for the depth chart going into the North Dakota State game next season with a breakdown of each position group.

Offense

QB - Arnaud, Tiller

Arnaud was the best player for Iowa State this season, and he will go into next season as the unquestioned leader and starting QB for ISU (although the coaches will not come out and say that in order to give AA some extra motivation). He has NFL size, arm, and athleticism. That being said, I expect to see Tiller in meaningful game situations to take advantage of his athleticism and speed. I look for a 90% AA / 10% JT split in playing time.

RB - Robinson, Williams, Schwartz

This will be the tightest position battle on the offense. I think Robinson wins by virtue of his experience and his breakaway speed. I think we will see allot of all three of these guys next season. We will be in two back sets much more than we have ever seen at ISU. The best thing is that this is a battle between 3 quality options and each brings different things to the table. ARob is the home run threat, Williams is the slasher, and Schwartz is the hammer.

TE - Franklin, Catlett, Bykowski

We saw the TE position used more and more down the stretch for ISU. Hopefully that trend continues, as this is perhaps the best group of TE's at ISU, ever. All have great hands, and Franklin brings great speed to the position. Catlett is a great blocker, and Bykowski is 6'8" with soft hands, something you can't teach.

WR - Darks, Hamilton, Johnson, Jones, Reynolds.

This isn't really a depth chart, all 5 of these guys will play and play allot. Darks is going to be the leading receiver, Jones and Hamilton are going to the the possession guys, and Johnson and Reynolds are the big play receivers. ISU desperately needs Money to give the receiving corps a make you miss kind of athlete. Our receivers did a decent job getting open and catching the ball, but nearly always went down on first contact. Hopefully a year in the weight room will help Darks and Johnson in this area.

OL - Lamaak, KO, Alvarez, Stephens, Haughton, Hicks, Baysinger

I think the first 5 guys listed here will be the starters, with Hicks and Baysinger providing depth. There is potential in this group. The coaches need to establish a set rotation so these guys can develop some continuity. Injuries really took a toll here this season. I don't think we will see Knapp back for next season, as it sounds like his knee injury is potentially career ending. If he does make it back though, he will be the starter at center. Overall though, this will be an above average offensive line, provided there isn't another rash of injuries.

Offensive overview -

I'll get it out there right off the bat. This will be the best offense at Iowa State in the Big 12 era. Arnaud is going to take the step that we all thought Meyer would, going from good to great. There is talent all over the field at the skill positions. There will be QUALITY competition for playing time at WR, TE, and RB. The Oline started to gel towards the end of the season. KO and Haughton showed their potential and will make great strides form their freshman to sophomore seasons. ISU will be very balanced on offense, probably 60% pass to 40% run. I look for AA to go over 3500 yards through the air. I don't think we will have a 1000 yard back since we will be rotating a few guys at the position, but we will see good production from the position as a whole.

Defense

Coming soon.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

Re: 2009 Offensive Depth Chart and Analysis (long)

I agree that this is going to be a terrific offense next year. idk about AA going over 3500. we are going to run the football a lot. with tiller we can pretty much run the wildcat offense except with a QB in there. line him up with ARob to the right and Bo to his left that would be a really nice change of pace set to run one series with some option run, and fake option passes

ALL IN

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 0

After reading that article on Bo earlier I still expect him to get a huge number of carries. I love A-Rob but if Bo really is 224 that would give us a great option back there.

Edit: I should say that I really like the offense for next season. It's like the Clones and the Chiefs have the same problem - a decent enough offense to get it done this year, coupled with a defense that can't even slow anybody down.

I really do believe we win 6 or 7 games next year though. Call me a kool-aid drinker (and most people would know better than that) but I think it's not only doable but likely.

Last edited by BryceC; 11-24-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 111

I would agree with most of this analysis.

The offense showed hints and promise - I think most would have to do with ironing things out up front. Next year, better execution will be expected (no missed blocks/assignments, dropping passes, missing cuts, etc.)

While Reynolds could provide an additional big threat, I think landing James Carpenter would be more important than Reynolds. Heck, let's get both - what a coup that would be!

When reading I thought you were incorrect about Hamilton - I thought he was graduating. Let's hope he comes back and has an RJ-type effort to his final season.

Last, AA is definitely the leader of this team, in particular the offense. The main question: Who are the other leaders? I think this was a missing piece of the puzzle this year. Maybe Bates was one, too, and having him lead really affected the locker room more than anyone cares to admit.

From most accounts, it looks like Bo Williams is another leader. Now all we need is leaders on the other side of the ball.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Here is my prediction for the depth chart going into the North Dakota State game next season with a breakdown of each position group.

Offense

QB - Arnaud, Tiller

Arnaud was the best player for Iowa State this season, and he will go into next season as the unquestioned leader and starting QB for ISU (although the coaches will not come out and say that in order to give AA some extra motivation). He has NFL size, arm, and athleticism. That being said, I expect to see Tiller in meaningful game situations to take advantage of his athleticism and speed. I look for a 90% AA / 10% JT split in playing time.

RB - Robinson, Williams, Schwartz

This will be the tightest position battle on the offense. I think Robinson wins by virtue of his experience and his breakaway speed. I think we will see allot of all three of these guys next season. We will be in two back sets much more than we have ever seen at ISU. The best thing is that this is a battle between 3 quality options and each brings different things to the table. ARob is the home run threat, Williams is the slasher, and Schwartz is the hammer.

TE - Franklin, Catlett, Bykowski

We saw the TE position used more and more down the stretch for ISU. Hopefully that trend continues, as this is perhaps the best group of TE's at ISU, ever. All have great hands, and Franklin brings great speed to the position. Catlett is a great blocker, and Bykowski is 6'8" with soft hands, something you can't teach.

WR - Darks, Hamilton, Johnson, Jones, Reynolds.

This isn't really a depth chart, all 5 of these guys will play and play allot. Darks is going to be the leading receiver, Jones and Hamilton are going to the the possession guys, and Johnson and Reynolds are the big play receivers. ISU desperately needs Money to give the receiving corps a make you miss kind of athlete. Our receivers did a decent job getting open and catching the ball, but nearly always went down on first contact. Hopefully a year in the weight room will help Darks and Johnson in this area.

OL - Lamaak, KO, Alvarez, Stephens, Haughton, Hicks, Baysinger

I think the first 5 guys listed here will be the starters, with Hicks and Baysinger providing depth. There is potential in this group. The coaches need to establish a set rotation so these guys can develop some continuity. Injuries really took a toll here this season. I don't think we will see Knapp back for next season, as it sounds like his knee injury is potentially career ending. If he does make it back though, he will be the starter at center. Overall though, this will be an above average offensive line, provided there isn't another rash of injuries.

Offensive overview -

I'll get it out there right off the bat. This will be the best offense at Iowa State in the Big 12 era. Arnaud is going to take the step that we all thought Meyer would, going from good to great. There is talent all over the field at the skill positions. There will be QUALITY competition for playing time at WR, TE, and RB. The Oline started to gel towards the end of the season. KO and Haughton showed their potential and will make great strides form their freshman to sophomore seasons. ISU will be very balanced on offense, probably 60% pass to 40% run. I look for AA to go over 3500 yards through the air. I don't think we will have a 1000 yard back since we will be rotating a few guys at the position, but we will see good production from the position as a whole.

Defense

Coming soon.
    I have waited all year for a defense to show up. Good to see that it is coming soon. Hopefully by the first game next year.

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Yep, I agree about the offense. It looks great on paper and knowing what we know about those who have already played this season.

It all comes down to defense. And all facets of that defense.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 539
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 4

James Carpenter is gone.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 107

I agree that our offense will be very potent. Capable of putting up at least 30 points in any of the games on our schedule. However, all that means nothing when the opposition puts up 45...

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 442
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 6

I'd also like to point out that all but 4 of those guys will be back in 2010. Hamilton, Jones, Catlett, and Stephenson will be the only ones not returning. If next year is gonna be very good, 2010 could be amazing in terms of offense.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyForPresident View Post
    James Carpenter is gone.
    Is that official now? Is it Texas Tech?

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,542
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 136

I am not the least bit worried about our offense. We moved the ball well the last several games on the ground and in the air.

Im excited to to Schwartz and Bo along with Arob. Also will be nice to see Sed get some more PT and maybe we can throw it up to him a little more.

#BEATIOWA

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 295

Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    I am not the least bit worried about our offense. We moved the ball well the last several games on the ground and in the air.

Im excited to to Schwartz and Bo along with Arob. Also will be nice to see Sed get some more PT and maybe we can throw it up to him a little more.

Exactly... plus a healthy oline. The young guys looked great at the end of the year (Alvarez, KO, Haughton)

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCLONES15 View Post
    Is that official now? Is it Texas Tech?

there's a link to a premium story on scout that says he's narrowed his list to five but doesn't state who they are, so unless the poster put down confidential info, it's not official as far as i could find

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Exactly... plus a healthy oline. The young guys looked great at the end of the year (Alvarez, KO, Haughton)
    I really thought Alvarez was getting some nice blocks last weekend. I noticed a couple plays where he was pushing guys around 8 yards downfield.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 96

Good stuff, but I wouldnt take too much stock in the depth chats. The only thing certin in the depth chats since Chizik became coach is change. Look at the spring ball chat compaired to the KSU depth chart. Players we thought would start didnt play much and no name players having a huge impact.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne