Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 483,979, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,020
    Points
    483,979
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95

    In defense of the BCS mess...

    First off, let me say this: the BCS is a mess. It doesn't work most years and this year is a great example of it. I for one though, actually like it. This mess makes college football unique, and it amplifies the importance of every single game in a way that is just not present in any other sport at any other level. College football bowl season is awesome in my opinion. A ton of games, with both teams just slugging it out, playing for everything, even in the lower tier bowls. Of course you would have everyone going at it if there was a playoff, but I feel that the season itself is a playoff. If you're in a BCS conference and you run the table, you have a 90% shot of playing for the national title. It's not perfect, but thats why I like it. There is heartbreak, there are underdogs, and every week of the season can change everything. Plus, the bowl system leaves something for programs in our shoes to look forward to at the end of the season. If there was a 16 team playoff, we would almost never make the playoffs. A lower tier bowl doesn't exactly mean a ton, but it gives our fans something to hope for, and if we consistently make lower tier bowls, it gives momentum in reaching a big one. Imo, a playoff would make college football just like every other sport, and it would lose some of it's unique charm. Long live the mess!
    (feel free to blast me, call me an idiot or request the return of neg rep, I like the current system)


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 80,683, Level: 88
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,461
    Points
    80,683
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

    Re: In defense of the BCS mess...

    I mostly agree, except that I don't think it's a mess most years.

    I think it appears to be a mess most years. You can't really call it a mess until the last, official BCS poll comes out and puts #1 vs #2. Yes, there have been years where it isn't perfect, but it's not a perfect system. There isn't a perfect system in 1A college football.

    The BCS does what it set out to do. It never set out to answer all the debates, just to maybe help clarify them most years and do as little damage to the traditional system of college football. I think it has done that admirably well.


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,153, Level: 62
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    HandSanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bondurant, IA
    Posts
    3,583
    Points
    41,153
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 0

    Re: In defense of the BCS mess...

    Good Post. Everyone is always going to blame whatever is in place. I thought the reason the BCS existed was because people were ticked about voting not working. I mean how would the polls determine the 2 best teams this year? What if Alabama loses to Florida? You have Alabama, Florida, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, USC, Utah, Boise state, Penn state all in the mix for a shot for the title with 0-1 loss.

    I guess you could take an 8 team playoff, but how many games can you really play in one season? How does that Money get shifted etc.. Also, Then the arguement is who gets left out of the 8 team playoff. If you took this weeks BCS standings then OSU and Boise State get left out. How would it work? 1 versus 8 and play the game at the #1 venue? If you played in the divisional conference with a title game you would have the chance to play 16 games?

    So either Florida or Alabama will be one of the teams in the NC if they win their last game.

    I really think OU is in control of their destiny because they have to play @ #BCS 12 OSU. If they win they should jump Texas. Then if they can go to KC and beat Mizzou they really deserve to go the NC. Then texas gets the at large bid.


    Last edited by HandSanitizer; 11-23-2008 at 09:11 PM.

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 118,866, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    balken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,643
    Points
    118,866
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: In defense of the BCS mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    I mostly agree, except that I don't think it's a mess most years.

    I think it appears to be a mess most years. You can't really call it a mess until the last, official BCS poll comes out and puts #1 vs #2.
    Largely agree. Part of the reason it appears to be a mess is that sports talk radio and our friends at ESPN and others spend the final half of the season discussing elaborate scenarios that could leave between 17 and 23 different teams with a claim to the title were it not for the dreaded BCS. Satan himself is rumored to be a part of the BCS panel.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 154,158, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,377
    Points
    154,158
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 12

    Re: In defense of the BCS mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    First off, let me say this: the BCS is a mess. It doesn't work most years and this year is a great example of it. I for one though, actually like it. This mess makes college football unique, and it amplifies the importance of every single game in a way that is just not present in any other sport at any other level. College football bowl season is awesome in my opinion. A ton of games, with both teams just slugging it out, playing for everything, even in the lower tier bowls. Of course you would have everyone going at it if there was a playoff, but I feel that the season itself is a playoff. If you're in a BCS conference and you run the table, you have a 90% shot of playing for the national title. It's not perfect, but thats why I like it. There is heartbreak, there are underdogs, and every week of the season can change everything. Plus, the bowl system leaves something for programs in our shoes to look forward to at the end of the season. If there was a 16 team playoff, we would almost never make the playoffs. A lower tier bowl doesn't exactly mean a ton, but it gives our fans something to hope for, and if we consistently make lower tier bowls, it gives momentum in reaching a big one. Imo, a playoff would make college football just like every other sport, and it would lose some of it's unique charm. Long live the mess!
    (feel free to blast me, call me an idiot or request the return of neg rep, I like the current system)
    Examples?


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 483,979, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,020
    Points
    483,979
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95

    Re: In defense of the BCS mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Examples?
    3 undefeated BCS conference teams in 2005. Every time Ohio State goes and gets pounded by an SEC team. Utah likely going undefeated for the 2nd time in 5 years, with no shot at playing for title, despite playing a schedule as tough as most schools in the Big 10, Big East, ACC or Pac-10. If you didn't read the rest of my post, I like the BCS. A lot. It doesn't "work" as well as a playoff would. It gets it right quite a bit, but gets it wrong, too.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 80,683, Level: 88
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,461
    Points
    80,683
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

    Re: In defense of the BCS mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    Good Post. Everyone is always going to blame whatever is in place. I thought the reason the BCS existed was because people were ticked about voting not working. I mean how would the polls determine the 2 best teams this year? What if Alabama loses to Florida? You have Alabama, Florida, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, USC, Utah, Boise state, Penn state all in the mix for a shot for the title with 0-1 loss.

    I guess you could take an 8 team playoff, but how many games can you really play in one season? How does that Money get shifted etc.. Also, Then the arguement is who gets left out of the 8 team playoff. If you took this weeks BCS standings then OSU and Boise State get left out. How would it work? 1 versus 8 and play the game at the #1 venue? If you played in the divisional conference with a title game you would have the chance to play 16 games?

    So either Florida or Alabama will be one of the teams in the NC if they win their last game.

    I really think OU is in control of their destiny because they have to play @ #BCS 12 OSU. If they win they should jump Texas. Then if they can go to KC and beat Mizzou they really deserve to go the NC. Then texas gets the at large bid.

    Everyone in the Big XII was in control of it's own destiny coming into the season. That's what I love about college football. If you're a BCS conference team, you're in control of your own destiny pretty much every year with rare exceptions. Win out, and you're going to make it to the BCS championship game. Any team that loses a game in the regular season has NO business complaining about not making the championship. Sorry Texas, should have beat Tech. Sorry Tech, should have beat Oklahoma. Sorry Florida, there's no excuse for not beating Ole Miss.

    Every single regular season game is important in terms of the BCS championship if you're going to be a contender. That sense or urgency exists in NO other sport or league in the nation UNTIL you get to a playoff. Unless you're going to do something amazingly clever and start a 119 team playoff in week 1, I don't see how it's going to be better than what we currently have.

    The ONLY thing that bothers me about the current system is undefeated teams getting left out of having a shot - even if it's a remote one. I'd really like to see Utah have a legit chance to prove that they are worthy of playing for the championship. Hawaii last year. Utah this year. Boise State a few years ago. I don't know the answer for sure, but I think in years where there are more than two legit undefeated teams (let's say, undefeated teams in the top 5), or remaining undefeated teams after playing the bowl games, there should be a "tournament of undefeateds" or something along those lines. If you've lost one or more games, I don't mind the BCS, since you're picking from a lot of 1 or 2 loss teams that are probably equally worthy.


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  8. #8
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CTAClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Amerika
    Posts
    9,218
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: In defense of the BCS mess...

    It's outdated and old-fashioned IMO.

    It still relies to heavily on polls.

    All the bowls don't have to go away. Why do people watch the .com bowls anyways when they have no significance in the National Championship?

    Every bowl game could stay. You take the current BCS bowls and expand them so they are a playoff system. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this and make it much more profitable than it already is.

    The argument used to be that they don't want players missing school and classes, and then they added a 12th game to the season and then they started adding Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday games. Then they started extending the bowl season so now the important bowl game take place in Mid-January. This whole bowl system is ridiculous. There is no way they can't make it work, especially when they have teams taking 8 weeks off before they play another game. It's an entire joke. There is no reason why you can't mix tradition and playoffs and make it work.


    "If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 154,158, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,377
    Points
    154,158
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 12

    Re: In defense of the BCS mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    3 undefeated BCS conference teams in 2005. Every time Ohio State goes and gets pounded by an SEC team. Utah likely going undefeated for the 2nd time in 5 years, with no shot at playing for title, despite playing a schedule as tough as most schools in the Big 10, Big East, ACC or Pac-10. If you didn't read the rest of my post, I like the BCS. A lot. It doesn't "work" as well as a playoff would. It gets it right quite a bit, but gets it wrong, too.
    I got it. My perspective is that we were better off pre BCS and w/o a playoff, "the old days". I say it all the time and I know you'll agree that D-1 football is the greatest sport in the world because every game is a playoff game and the bowl system is a unique tradition.

    In the old system tOSU goes to the Rose Bowl (gets pounded by USC) and everone says "OK, check them off the list of NC contenders. Meanwhile, an undefeated Utah team wins whatever their bowl game is and since as you say "they play a schedule as tough as most schools in "BCS" conferences they get a serious look and analysis by sports journalists and perhaps get the NC nod.

    No more "chaos" or "b***s***" than we have with the BCS.

    And don't get me started on a playoff, I really don't think people will like what D-1 will become if they start one. If App St. wins the D-1AA championship this year that's four in a row. BORING.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 80,683, Level: 88
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,267
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,461
    Points
    80,683
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

    Re: In defense of the BCS mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    I got it. My perspective is that we were better off pre BCS and w/o a playoff, "the old days". I say it all the time and I know you'll agree that D-1 football is the greatest sport in the world because every game is a playoff game and the bowl system is a unique tradition.

    In the old system tOSU goes to the Rose Bowl (gets pounded by USC) and everone says "OK, check them off the list of NC contenders. Meanwhile, an undefeated Utah team wins whatever their bowl game is and since as you say "they play a schedule as tough as most schools in "BCS" conferences they get a serious look and analysis by sports journalists and perhaps get the NC nod.

    No more "chaos" or "b***s***" than we have with the BCS.

    And don't get me started on a playoff, I really don't think people will like what D-1 will become if they start one. If App St. wins the D-1AA championship this year that's four in a row. BORING.
    There's certain charm in the old system, and I'd actually not mind if they just went back to it and then gave us a +1 game after the bowl games between #1 and #2. That was the problem that the BCS was trying to solve in the first place. It would put a lot more emphasis on ALL of the bowl games, since any one of them between legitimate teams might produce a contender for the national championship.


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 483,979, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,020
    Points
    483,979
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95

    Re: In defense of the BCS mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    I got it. My perspective is that we were better off pre BCS and w/o a playoff, "the old days". I say it all the time and I know you'll agree that D-1 football is the greatest sport in the world because every game is a playoff game and the bowl system is a unique tradition.

    In the old system tOSU goes to the Rose Bowl (gets pounded by USC) and everone says "OK, check them off the list of NC contenders. Meanwhile, an undefeated Utah team wins whatever their bowl game is and since as you say "they play a schedule as tough as most schools in "BCS" conferences they get a serious look and analysis by sports journalists and perhaps get the NC nod.

    No more "chaos" or "b***s***" than we have with the BCS.

    And don't get me started on a playoff, I really don't think people will like what D-1 will become if they start one. If App St. wins the D-1AA championship this year that's four in a row. BORING.
    Agree 100%


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 17,509, Level: 40
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    931
    Points
    17,509
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: In defense of the BCS mess...

    Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    It's outdated and old-fashioned IMO.

    It still relies to heavily on polls.

    All the bowls don't have to go away. Why do people watch the .com bowls anyways when they have no significance in the National Championship?

    Every bowl game could stay. You take the current BCS bowls and expand them so they are a playoff system. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do this and make it much more profitable than it already is.

    The argument used to be that they don't want players missing school and classes, and then they added a 12th game to the season and then they started adding Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday games. Then they started extending the bowl season so now the important bowl game take place in Mid-January. This whole bowl system is ridiculous. There is no way they can't make it work, especially when they have teams taking 8 weeks off before they play another game. It's an entire joke. There is no reason why you can't mix tradition and playoffs and make it work.
    This was the best post I have seen so far ! I agree with everything in this article.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM