Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 13

The way too early '09 prediction thread

I know it's way too soon, but with the 2008 season now over, it's that time again to look ahead to next season. We lose no NFL caliber players, and return quite a few experienced starters. If we can muster up an average defense, we will go to a bowl game. Right now, the defense is holding the rest of the team back. I expect the running game to be improved next year, not only because Bo Williams will be playing, but also because the O-Line should be better I hope.

My MVPs for next year:
    Offense- Austen Arnaud, he should get more publicity next year now that the Big 12 will probably lose most of it's star QBs. I expect a big year out of him, and want to see improvement.
    Defense- D-Line, somebody has got to step up and get pressure on the QB, if we don't we are doomed.

This is just a rough prediction for next year's games:

North Dakota State W- We should drill them in this game, and I would like to see the defense making some 3 and outs, not just turnovers.

Iowa * - This one's a toss up, could go either way. If Greene's back we'll be in trouble. I would expect Iowa to be favored by 7 going into this one.

at Kent State W- I expect to win this one by at least 3 touchdowns. We end the road losing streak here.

Army W- Again, expect to win this by 3+ TDs. If any of the 3 "easy" non-conference games are close, that would be a bad sign.

Kansas State W- gotta get out on the right foot in conference play, K-State will have a first year coach and QB, so I think we should be able to win this one.

@Kansas L- this will be a high scoring game, but since Reesing will be back and it's on the road, we will probably lose.

Baylor * - This might be the most important conference home game as it would be a telling sign of how we would do the rest of the way. If we win it would be huge for our team. I don't know if we will be able to stop their offense, since they torched us this year.

@Nebraska L- I don't see us winning this one, we haven't won in Lincoln for forever, and Nebraska returns a bowl caliber team next year.

Texas A&M * - Another toss up, if the defense can make stops, we will win. Remember '05.

Oklahoma State L- Okie State's offense will probably be too much for the defense to handle. We will probably get crushed again.

Colorado W- Defense will be key once again, since CU has one of the weakest offenses in the Big XII. Seniors will come out with intensity which will propel us to a win. I think we will win close.

@Missouri L- Mizzou will still be too tough for us to handle, we lose by more than two TDs.

That would make at least 5 wins, so that's how many wins I'll be happy with. But if things go our way, I could see us going 8-4 which would be a miracle. We have to take advantage of the weak south teams next year. If we don't take advantage of it, I don't know if Chizik will be around much longer.

What do you all think?

Droppin' 3's like my name is Scotty C.

Philippians 4:13

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: The way too early '09 prediction thread

2-10. I refuse to be positive.

"They'd write things like...Lloyd. See you around....maybe."

--Lloyd Dobler

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

A lot of things have to get better before this program will get out of the Big 12 basement.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 123

I'm not predicting anything except that by August, over half of this board will expect a bowl game....

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Gotta go 8-4. Anything less would be a failure. Especially with the schedule that follows the next year.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Hard to say. I wouldn't write anyone off or assume much as of right now.

I would bet almost everything I own that Greene's going to the NFL. If not, then the Iowa boosters are paying him to stay another year....

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 134

3-9 last year. 2-10 this year. This is easy, 1-11 next year.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

1-11 unless ND has a QB that can throw the ball, then 0-12

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,290
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 24

10-2, we lose to Okie State & Kansas, whoa I think I just had a kool-aid moment...sorry. I will hope for ATLEAST 5 wins

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day".-Frank Sinatra

@cyfert26 on Twitter

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Hard to say. I wouldn't write anyone off or assume much as of right now.

I would bet almost everything I own that Greene's going to the NFL. If not, then the Iowa boosters are paying him to stay another year....
    If Greene stays it is because the boosters bought his grades. That guy is DUMB.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 13

If we had any defense this year, we would have won at least 5 games. I don't think the defense could have been any worse this year. The defense has no where to go but up.

Droppin' 3's like my name is Scotty C.

Philippians 4:13

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

3-9 or 4-8.

I'm not getting sucked in again until they show me SOMETHING on defense.

Starter
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

Because of a phenomenon I refer to as "win inflation", people's win predictions will gradually get higher as the months go on. It's quite comical. As if our players and coaches are magically advancing at a rate much more rapid than other teams. Everyone will be saying 2-5 wins now but that will become 6-9 by August somehow. I'm sure it happens with every fan base but I find it funny.

At this point, I'll go with 3-9. By August, that will probably be at 4-8 due to inflation but I will not go higher than that unless something drastic happens.

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonez7 View Post
    My MVPs for next year:
    Offense- Austen Arnaud, he should get more publicity next year now that the Big 12 will probably lose most of it's star QBs.
    Unfortunately, many of the star QB's will be back.

Gone:

Daniel - Senior
    Harrell - Senior
    Ganz - Senior
    Freeman - Junior (NFL)

Back:

McCoy - Junior
    Reesing - Junior
    Robinson - Junior
    Bradford - Sophomore
    Griffin - Freshman

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonez7 View Post
    I know it's way too soon, but with the 2008 season now over, it's that time again to look ahead to next season. We lose no NFL caliber players, and return quite a few experienced starters. If we can muster up an average defense, we will go to a bowl game. Right now, the defense is holding the rest of the team back. I expect the running game to be improved next year, not only because Bo Williams will be playing, but also because the O-Line should be better I hope.

My MVPs for next year:
    Offense- Austen Arnaud, he should get more publicity next year now that the Big 12 will probably lose most of it's star QBs. I expect a big year out of him, and want to see improvement.
    Defense- D-Line, somebody has got to step up and get pressure on the QB, if we don't we are doomed.

This is just a rough prediction for next year's games:

North Dakota State W- We should drill them in this game, and I would like to see the defense making some 3 and outs, not just turnovers.

Iowa * - This one's a toss up, could go either way. If Greene's back we'll be in trouble. I would expect Iowa to be favored by 7 going into this one.

at Kent State W- I expect to win this one by at least 3 touchdowns. We end the road losing streak here.

Army W- Again, expect to win this by 3+ TDs. If any of the 3 "easy" non-conference games are close, that would be a bad sign.

Kansas State W- gotta get out on the right foot in conference play, K-State will have a first year coach and QB, so I think we should be able to win this one.

@Kansas L- this will be a high scoring game, but since Reesing will be back and it's on the road, we will probably lose.

Baylor * - This might be the most important conference home game as it would be a telling sign of how we would do the rest of the way. If we win it would be huge for our team. I don't know if we will be able to stop their offense, since they torched us this year.

@Nebraska L- I don't see us winning this one, we haven't won in Lincoln for forever, and Nebraska returns a bowl caliber team next year.

Texas A&M * - Another toss up, if the defense can make stops, we will win. Remember '05.

Oklahoma State L- Okie State's offense will probably be too much for the defense to handle. We will probably get crushed again.

Colorado W- Defense will be key once again, since CU has one of the weakest offenses in the Big XII. Seniors will come out with intensity which will propel us to a win. I think we will win close.

@Missouri L- Mizzou will still be too tough for us to handle, we lose by more than two TDs.

That would make at least 5 wins, so that's how many wins I'll be happy with. But if things go our way, I could see us going 8-4 which would be a miracle. We have to take advantage of the weak south teams next year. If we don't take advantage of it, I don't know if Chizik will be around much longer.

What do you all think?
    1 - It will take a lot of improvement to get to an average D
    2 - Iowa with or without Greene will be favored by more than 7 and I agree it is a toss up but they do return 8 starters on D and that D is playing lights out right now. Plus they get an extra 15 practices for their freshman that we don't get meaning basically an extra spring practice for them so maybe a slight lean to a loss there.
    3 - I don't know how the hell you can expect us to win by 3 TD's to anyone on the ROAD. That means we will probably have to score 6 TD's or more but we should beat Kent St it just won't be by 3 TD's until we prove otherwise.
    4 - KState having a first year coach, how did that work out for us this year facing 1st year coaches at Nebraska, Texas A&M and Baylor.

So in all honesty I see next year being a 5-7 or 6-6 team right now, but a lot of things can happen between now and August.