MANHATTAN, Kan. – Iowa State quarterback Austen Arnaud hit on 31-of-45 passes for a school record 440 yards and three touchdowns Saturday. The Cyclone offense rolled up 626 yards of total offense, the school’s third-best tally ever and the all-time best against a conference opponent. Thirteen different Cyclones caught a pass. ISU drove up and down the field at Bill Snyder Family Stadium and scored on the last play of the game. Iowa State outgained Kansas State by more than 150 yards. But ultimately, the Wildcats still beat the Cyclones 38-30.

Three Cyclone turnovers (two interceptions) cost ISU dearly, including a key muffed fourth-quarter pitch at the Kansas State 3-yard line as Kansas State prevailed 38-30 in the season finale for both teams. Iowa State finished the season with a 2-10 record. Kansas State finishes 5-7.

“Personal stats mean nothing,” Arnaud said. “We have a lot of people coming back next year and we are committed to getting better. My heart goes out to the seniors who gave us everything they had.”

Outgoing Kansas State head coach Ron Price had high praise for Arnaud.

“I had a few words for (Arnaud) after the game,” Prince said. “I think he and the quarterback from Texas A&M are going to be real stars in this league. He’s a really good young man and obviously was really effective today.”

Iowa State held nothing back. The Cyclones used a fake punt lob from Brandtner to Taylor Mansfield that went for 22 yards and a first down during the game. ISU ran two flea flicker plays. The last play of the game saw Arnaud hit R.J. Sumrall on a 5-yard TD pass as time expired.

More...