Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 0

Does Gmac need to temporarily change his gameplan?

With the players we have right now, there is no way the we can be successful running that 1/2 court game. It was good for UNI because they had a great big man (Coleman). We don't, we have perimeter players that need to use their length and quickness as a compliment to shooting ability. Maybe they could try playing more zone and trapping defense to create more turnovers and use the athleticism to our advantage. Our help side defense is really bad. Then again, I am no coach. But I do like to play basketball on my PS2.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Does Gmac need to temporarily change his gameplan?

I think man-to-man is the way to go right now. When playing the zone, you've got to learn how to react, and know how your fellow players are going to react in certain situations. In man-to-man, you've got to mainly worry about your player. One thing we do need to do better is helping when we get beat, which happens a lot right now. Our players have got to learn to sag a little from their man to give help if needed. All-in-all, it takes time to learn about your teamates, and we should start figuring things out in a couple months.

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 154

I think he'll adapt the gameplan as we get into tougher competition and everybody settles in some. We were without Jiri for a while and that prevented everybody from getting to play together a lot. I think if Dunson and Gray continue to increase their level of play, they'll continue to get more and more minutes. Jiri really needs to work on his shot and learn to play inside instead of out 12-15 feet. Dunson is coming on strong and if Taylor and McIntosh don't start creating on offense, he'll see a lot of minutes down the stretch.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by mike4cy View Post
    Maybe they could try playing more zone and trapping defense to create more turnovers and use the athleticism to our advantage. Our help side defense is really bad.
    That strategy was tried last year; it failed, and led to the dismissal of the previous coach. The Big 12 competition would eat the zone trap alive, just like it did last year. The kids need to learn how to play man-to-man defense. ISU should be striving for long term success, not short term gratification.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny8 View Post
    One thing we do need to do better is helping when we get beat, which happens a lot right now. Our players have got to learn to sag a little from their man to give help if needed.
    I completely agree. And, if they aren't going to play help defense, they need to fight like hell to get through those screens. Right now, there are some slow feet on the court.

**Not every life is perfect, but every life is precious. Support Rescue.**
    http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/nebraskabostonterrierrescue.html

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    That strategy was tried last year; it failed, and led to the dismissal of the previous coach. The Big 12 competition would eat the zone trap alive, just like it did last year. The kids need to learn how to play man-to-man defense. ISU should be striving for long term success, not short term gratification.
    I don't mean live and die by zone D, just give the other team a different look. Like I said, I am no basketball guru.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 15

I agree, I think coach McDermott needs to shake things up a bit on defense. I certainly wish he'd use his "press" some more. It works like a charm in desperate situations.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 447
    Given: 312

UNI under Ben Jacobsen has 72 plays with 2-4 offshoots for each. They looked fairly smooth. We look a long way from 72 plays. Our defense looks more polished than our offense at this point.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Our defense looks more polished than our offense at this point.
    I don't know if I'd say polished when referencing our 'clones. I'm a defensive stickler. I'd rather win games on defense than score lots of points to win on offense. I agree with the "slow feet" but I think it's correctable with playing time, becoming more familiar with ourselves. We truly need to play better defense, better help defense (especially in transition).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 1

I think we need to stick to the hard-nosed man-to-man that Gmac will eventually fully get across to this team. He alluded to the fact that the effort is usually there, but players are focusing too much on staying on the player they are guarding and not looking back to the ball for help opportunities.

In my opinion, the most needed change needs to happen on offense. I have been frustrated that there is no post presence whatsoever. I know that we don't have that dominant big man we need, but simply entering it into the post, even with a guard posting up makes every offense better by giving the opportunity for a kick-out for an open shot. Also, when teams zone us up, we need to get the ball to the middle of that zone for the same reason. The middle of the floor is a zone killer, opening up the possibility to pass to four shooters for an open score. Plus, if other teams then stay home on the shooters, that opens up a drive to the basket by the high post. Gmac started emphasizing this in the 2nd half of the Drake game, so I am encouraged.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

I think our man defense is fine, we just need to learn to play some better "help defense" when someone has their man get past them. I noticed this in the UNI and Drake games that someone would get beat by their man and the nearest defender did not come over to help.

One offense I think Mac has allowed them to run at times which is usually when we made some runs to get back into games. We just need a good balance of run and gun and 1/2 court play and our players need to know when they can push the ball and when not. That is Taylor's biggest problem right now is wanting to take it straight to the hoop every time down the floor. This team is still finding it's identity but I think once they know what they are cabable of and what they aren't that they'll cut down on the turnovers and find a nice balance.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Some of our defensive problems lie in the personnel GMac has to work with. The holdovers from last year have a big hole to dig out of in terms of learning to play tough, fundamentally sound man defense. The new guys and transfers are likely in a similar boat. I think mixing defenses up occasionally might not be a bad approach. However, to change it up for the sake of creating some short-term solution would be foolish in my opinion. Let's teach the new 4-year guys like Dodie, Cory and Wes how to play defense the correct way and reap the rewards later on.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,171
    Given: 602

Everything will come in time. Right now the kids are thinking instead of reacting. That in itself is enough to make them a step slow.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111

I don't think we should write off this season, but McD is building for the future and that future includes tough nosed man to man. He said when he got hired that he will build the program his way and it takes a while to get a program to where you want it. It took him three years to get to the tourney at UNI. I bet it will take him three years here too, but he'll do it right and will build the PROGRAM up for sustained success.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not going to question DMAC's gameplan. It's his full-time job & I trust his judgement. I'll let him do his job & he'll let me do mine. Let's just enjoy having him as a coach... the WINS will come.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."- President Ronald Reagan, 1985