Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

anyone else see it? Pinkel?

anyone else see that Pinkle just got a big raise after beating ISU? he now makes $2.5 mil a year, making him tied for the 12th highest paid coach in the country with rich from mich.

i really think they might have overpaid a bit..........Pinkle really hasnt proven anything without having Daniel as his QB and i think there will be a steep decline in performance in 2009, get your money while you can i guess.

In the deed the glory..........the glory is above!

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,370
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 15

Re: anyone else see it? Pinkel?

I think Pinkle deserves it. He has done a good job.

Last edited by MNclone; 11-21-2008 at 07:31 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

thats what can happen when you go back to back Big 12 championships

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

plus their defense has a ton of seniors on it (not they are that good anyway) - i see them taking a step back next season

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 966
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 14

I haven't checked, but I assume the raise was tied to an extension in his contract, as well? If an extension was part of the raise, I guess they figured they had to do what they could to show recruits he is going to be around for at least five more years, and they are trying their best not to lose him to another school. Is this business as usual?

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 276
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 26

Seems like I heard somewhere the Uni of Washington was looking for a coach and Pinkle's name came up. Maybe they are just trying to keep other schools from poaching him.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 966
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by cygrads View Post
    Seems like I heard somewhere the Uni of Washington was looking for a coach and Pinkle's name came up. Maybe they are just trying to keep other schools from poaching him.
    My thoughts exactly. Now it will take close to not just 3 large to get him, but 3 REALLY LARGE, to get him.

Recruit
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by huskerman View Post
    anyone else see that Pinkle just got a big raise after beating ISU? he now makes $2.5 mil a year, making him tied for the 12th highest paid coach in the country with rich from mich.

i really think they might have overpaid a bit..........Pinkle really hasnt proven anything without having Daniel as his QB and i think there will be a steep decline in performance in 2009, get your money while you can i guess.
    I guess I can see why others would be surprised by this, but we Mizzou fans are happy about it. Most of us are. Please remember just how terrible Mizzou football was for so very long. Some guy comes along and turns us into a winner? He's going to get paid. Plus, I don't buy that Chase Daniel is the reason for all the winning - Chase is a really good college QB, but there are better. Pinkel won with Brad Smith, his first recruit to Mizzou. And as far as recruiting goes, Pinkel's been great.

As some else mentioned, there was the UW factor. Pinkel was at the top of the list, so he was going to get a raise/extension.

Finally, I'm not too worried about a defensive drop off. There are a lot of seniors, but a lot of them are already splitting snaps with more talented youngsters. A couple true freshmen (Kenji Jackson and Jacquies Smith) are splitting snaps with seniors (Garrett and Chavis). A junior, Brian Coulter, is now up there with Sulak. Kevin Rutland (RS Fr) is splitting snaps (not 50/50 though) with Bridges. I buy that there will be regression in offense and defense, but Mizzou should still contend for the North title.

One thing I find infuriating about Tiger fans is they don't appreciate what they have in the defense. By nearly every defensive metric, Mizzou's defense is in the top two or three in the Big 12. I can't complain about that. Still, Mizzou fans call for Eberflus's head. I don't get it.

Support of Mizzou's defensive goodness:

Defense Wins Championships

Muschamp and Eberflus (I'm not really saying they're equals - I was trying to make a point that Tiger fans need to appreciate the D...)

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Pinkel deserves it, he is a great coach. I'm sure Tennessee or Washington would love to have him there.

He has been able to keep the Missouri kids from going to other schools and still get good talent from Texas. With that Formula, Mizzou will be at or near the Top of the Big 12. If you want overpaid check out Iowa City, that place is a mess.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I guess I can see why others would be surprised by this, but we Mizzou fans are happy about it. Most of us are. Please remember just how terrible Mizzou football was for so very long. Some guy comes along and turns us into a winner? He's going to get paid. Plus, I don't buy that Chase Daniel is the reason for all the winning - Chase is a really good college QB, but there are better. Pinkel won with Brad Smith, his first recruit to Mizzou. And as far as recruiting goes, Pinkel's been great.

As some else mentioned, there was the UW factor. Pinkel was at the top of the list, so he was going to get a raise/extension.

Finally, I'm not too worried about a defensive drop off. There are a lot of seniors, but a lot of them are already splitting snaps with more talented youngsters. A couple true freshmen (Kenji Jackson and Jacquies Smith) are splitting snaps with seniors (Garrett and Chavis). A junior, Brian Coulter, is now up there with Sulak. Kevin Rutland (RS Fr) is splitting snaps (not 50/50 though) with Bridges. I buy that there will be regression in offense and defense, but Mizzou should still contend for the North title.

One thing I find infuriating about Tiger fans is they don't appreciate what they have in the defense. By nearly every defensive metric, Mizzou's defense is in the top two or three in the Big 12. I can't complain about that. Still, Mizzou fans call for Eberflus's head. I don't get it.

Support of Mizzou's defensive goodness:

Defense Wins Championships

Muschamp and Eberflus (I'm not really saying they're equals - I was trying to make a point that Tiger fans need to appreciate the D...)
    Hopefully you and your fellow Mizzou fans won't go crazy when there is a dropoff next year....because there WILL be a steep dropoff next year. Mizzou isn't good enough to "reload" yet, they still have to "rebuild" like the rest of us in the North.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by MNclone View Post
    I think Pinkle deserves it. He has done a good job.
    Agreed. He should get it.

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

Recruit
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Hopefully you and your fellow Mizzou fans won't go crazy when there is a dropoff next year....because there WILL be a steep dropoff next year. Mizzou isn't good enough to "reload" yet, they still have to "rebuild" like the rest of us in the North.
    I don't think there's much of a chance of a steep dropoff (partially because the young guys play so much right now and partially because the North isn't that competitive), but I understand why those not as familiar with the program think that.

Some of it depends on what's a "steep" dropoff. I think Mizzou will win 8 or 9 games and will be in the North hunt the entire conference season. No talk of national titles, but not bad.

It's just that so many young guys are playing so much now...

If Maclin and Weatherspoon come back, the dropoff will be negligible. If they both leave, then it'll be more like an 8 game season. (Mizzou fans will go Chicken Little as so many of them have forgotten from whence we came...)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 52

Just keep this site bookmarked and come back about this time next year.

We are playing more young guys than you guys are this year, and they're playing WAY more, out of necessity. Doesn't mean we're going to be any good next year.

Recruit
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Just keep this site bookmarked and come back about this time next year.

We are playing more young guys than you guys are this year, and they're playing WAY more, out of necessity. Doesn't mean we're going to be any good next year.
    Yes, but Mizzou's defense is #1 in the North by such a long way - the fact that our young guys are outplaying the seniors bodes very well for future success. #1 in conference play in yards/play against. CU and KU are next from the North and they're 6th. #2 in conference play in scoring defense - CU is the next north team and they're 6th.

I do expect some regression, I just don't see the sky falling.

Time will tell. I do expect ISU and CU to be better next year and NU and KU should be about the same, so that will lend to this regression. KSU hopefully will still suck - and I hope you guys bash them tomorrow.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Yes, but Mizzou's defense is #1 in the North by such a long way - the fact that our young guys are outplaying the seniors bodes very well for future success. #1 in conference play in yards/play against. CU and KU are next from the North and they're 6th. #2 in conference play in scoring defense - CU is the next north team and they're 6th.

I do expect some regression, I just don't see the sky falling.

Time will tell. I do expect ISU and CU to be better next year and NU and KU should be about the same, so that will lend to this regression. KSU hopefully will still suck - and I hope you guys bash them tomorrow.
    I can't really disagree with any of this. I would guess the schedules will play a big part in who wins the big 12 north next year.