Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Drake Game Crowd

There was an announced crowd of more than 14,000 at the game (tickets sold), but I would say there was more like 9,000. Why didn't people show up? Besides Cyclone Alley, there were very few students there. Overall, the crowd was weak until late in the game, and then it was too late. There were several times where the crowd could have helped the guys. I did think Cyclone Alley did their part, though.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Re: Drake Game Crowd

attendance has seemed to be kind of small so far this season. Hopefully come conference time it'll increase.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

One thing I have to get off my chest is my dissappointment in the Cyclone Alley support. Not only have we not been filling it up, but at the Drake game, I heard many comments from our fans to our players that were anything but encouraging. I know for a fact that the players heard these comments because I was in the front row and heard them clearly while the player was standing about 8 feet from me, and one player who had a comment said about them turned around and looked directly at the person who made the comment.

It's perfectly fine to be disappointed with our players and to talk amonst ourselves regarding our thoughts on the game, but to discourage our own players during the game is just plain disgusting. When our players our down, we need to lift them up. Let's all unite as fans and cheer on our Clones, win or lose.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not trying to knock the Alley as a whole, but they were MUCH quieter than they usually are along with the rest of the fans. It was a sad showing of support until 4:30 left in the game. It was really embarrassing when 12 Drake students in the upper deck were making so much noise that they seemed to be the home fans for most of the beginning of the second half. I did have to laugh when a school like Drake had student chants like "What's your ACT score?" when we were shooting free throws. Hopefully the Alley can make it 10 times this effect if they travel to Huskerville again.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,800
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    There was an announced crowd of more than 14,000 at the game (tickets sold), but I would say there was more like 9,000. Why didn't people show up?
    1. It was Drake.
    2. It was Drake.
    3. That's the die hard fans who show up regardless.
    4. It'll take some success before Hilton is packed again and that's just the reality of things.

Fanatic #25

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What do you mean it was Drake? Have you not seen the games that Drake has given us in the past? Do you not know that the MVC is not Conference USA? Ever heard of a good defensive coach named Dr. Tom? If you don't show up for a game like that, then you don't show up for half of the schedule. And how good of a fan base is that if you can justify that people should stay home for half of our schedule? Sorry, but that is an ignorant comment.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wasn't one of the knocks on Morgan that the Hilton Magic had disappeared under his watch? since the play on the floor was so spotty the fans showed up in fewer numbers and were less enthusiastic? Not good. I heard last year that a group of neb. students chanted "hilton magic...?" when they pummeled ISU last year. That really freakin' irked me! (I really hate all things nebraska). It's time for the reputation of the Magic to be lived up to again... irregardless of opponent. If I didn't live 800 miles from Ames I'd help do my part...

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    Wasn't one of the knocks on Morgan that the Hilton Magic had disappeared under his watch? since the play on the floor was so spotty the fans showed up in fewer numbers and were less enthusiastic? Not good. I heard last year that a group of neb. students chanted "hilton magic...?" when they pummeled ISU last year. That really freakin' irked me! (I really hate all things nebraska). It's time for the reputation of the Magic to be lived up to again... irregardless of opponent. If I didn't live 800 miles from Ames I'd help do my part...
    That may have been because a group of our fans went to Nebraska earlier in the season and chanted "Hilton West" or something to that effect when we beat the hell out of them at their place.

Giving up 40+ points to a guy named Maric at Hilton though....sheesh. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 12

This was only my fifth game at the Hilton but I think that there are some things that we could do to get the crowd louder. Do one of those crowd meters to get us louder. I mean the loudest I heard the crowd was win the Chizik was out at halftime. I know the Alley wasnt all that loud but I hope come Bix XII time that will change.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

It bothered me also that the students didn't show. Thanks to the ones that were there but when the upper sections on the ends are completely empty on a Sunday afternoon it is really, really disappointing. When I was in school (88-91) I never missed a game and gave me some of the best memories of my life. Come on students and get to the game!

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would say Cyclone Alley needs to be more creative and rowdy. They should be chanting cheers or making nose 99% of the time. The blue hairs are NOT, I repeat, NOT going to make any noise unless it's at a REAL obvious time. Even then it's a stretch. Now, I'm not a student anymore, I actually have to sit around some blue hairs and as much as I try, they WON'T get up and cheer. So, in conclusion, it's up to the students to really try to make up the difference.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
    I would say Cyclone Alley needs to be more creative and rowdy. They should be chanting cheers or making nose 99% of the time. The blue hairs are NOT, I repeat, NOT going to make any noise unless it's at a REAL obvious time. Even then it's a stretch. Now, I'm not a student anymore, I actually have to sit around some blue hairs and as much as I try, they WON'T get up and cheer. So, in conclusion, it's up to the students to really try to make up the difference.
    Tell me about it, here I was on a Sunday up standing up yelling and cheering while everyone around me is sitting down looking at me like I'm yelling at a children's christmas concert or something. Even my wife was too embarrassed to get up and cheer because no one else was.

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Thumbs Up

I think we need to come up with some more creative cheers. You can only chant "I-S-U" and "Lets Go Cyclones" so many times in a row before people stop cheering. I'm not Mr. Creative so any ideas would be appreciated. Another thing I think we need to hit more is the "You Can't Do That" cheer. For the first few games we seemed to be doing that a lot, but now it seems like no one wants to anymore. Giving our own players a mental boost is a must if we want Hilton Magic to return.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 12

I am sorry but I think the cheer "you cant do that" is one of the most annoying cheers that I have ever heard. I am not mr. creative either but that is one that I just can not stand.

Thumbs Up

Hmm......so that's why no one's been chanting it. I will admit it's a pretty awkward sounding cheer, but I just like mocking the other team in any way shape or form. We'll have to figure something good out.