Thread: Playoff Format

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Playoff Format

I'm proposing a 16-team playoff, and it solves many of the current problems with the current format.
    I agree with ISUFan22 everyone plays 11 games and starts on same weekend with one bye per team

1)All Conference winners make it (11 teams)
    2)5 At-large bids get in (harris poll and coaches poll average determines this)
    3)Each playoff game is played at a major bowl site (championship game remains the same as now)
    4)Sugar/Rose/Orange/Fiesta Bowls continue rotating every year with 2 of them hosting semi-final games and the other 2 hosting quarterfinal games
    5)Gator/Capitol One/Cotton/Outback Bowls rotate every year with 2 of them hosting quarterfinal games and the other 2 hosting the #1 and #2 seeds first round games.
    6)Chick Fil-A/Alamo/Sun/Holiday/Insight/Liberty bowls all host 1st round games
    7)Seeds in the playoff are determined by harris and coaches poll average ranking...at large teams are seeds 12,13,14,15,16 and for small conference winners, overall record determines seed.
    8)Use NCAA Basketball Bracket Format
    9)This leaves 15 other bowls for 30 teams... for a grand total of 46 teams going to the postseason, which would eliminate the controversy surrounding whether or not .500 teams should make it (like iowa)
    10)remaining bowls take remaining top 25 ranked teams (again coaches and harris poll average)...this year there would be 12 teams that are ranked but not going to the playoff....leaving 18 additional spots for unranked teams.

This years bracket...

1. Ohio St. (Big 10 Champ.)
    16. Notre Dame (#5 at-large seed)

8. BYU (Mountain West Champ.)
    9. Houston (C-USA Champ.)

5. Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ.)
    12. Michigan (#1 at-large seed)

4. USC (Pac-10 Champ.)
    13. LSU (#2 at-large seed)

6. Boise St. (WAC Champ.)
    11. Troy (Sun Belt Champ.)

3. Louisville (Big East Champ.)
    14. Wisconsin (#3 at-large seed)

7. Wake Forest (ACC Champ.)
    10. C. Michigan (MAC Champ.)

2. Florida (SEC Champ.)
    15. Auburn (#4 at-large seed)

I realize that the difference between Florida and Michigan is the #2/#12 seeds....but both play tough teams and your going to have to beat those teams to win it all anyways....

This creates some very intriguing match-ups in round one which would draw tremendous interest to those games as well as later round games which would keep those bowl sites satisfied.

Obviously this is my first post but I've been a member here since this site was less than a month old and I always have just read topics but I feel this would be a great way to go... tell me what you think!

Last edited by spinback32; 12-04-2006 at 08:17 PM.

Chile Mac is Back!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 1,123

Re: Playoff Format

I like it, but it won't happen because it would keep many schools out of bowls (which may not be a bad idea at this point). It reminds me of something the sports paper "The National" did a while back, when it was still in existence (early 90's). They did a mythical playoff bracket with bowls. Does anyone remember this?

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

correction...there would be 17 additional bowl games...
    true some teams would be left home,but thats part of the point..to make it more of an accomplishment to make a bowl game.

This year there is 64 teams going to bowl games.Thats over half....under this format 50 teams would still go leaving 14 additional teams at home..

Here's the teams that would most likely be left out this year...
    1)Florida St. 6-6
    2)Miami (FL) 6-6
    3)Minnesota 6-6
    4)Iowa 6-6
    5)Oklahoma St. 6-6
    6)New Mexico 6-6
    7)Alabama 6-6
    8)East Carolina 7-5
    9)Rice 7-5
    10)Northern Illinois 7-5
    11)Arizona St. 7-5
    12)Mid Tenn. St. 7-5
    13)Utah 7-5
    14)Kentucky 7-5 or Kansas St. 7-5

This includes teams like Florida St., Miami, Iowa, Arizona St., who have all severly underachieved this year and don't deserve to be going to a bowl.

One other alternative would be to take those 16 teams and let a committee rank them....

Last edited by spinback32; 12-04-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

My roommate and I also discussed that if we can't go to a full blown playoff system..then you have a flux system...on years like this you have a plus one game between florida and michigan and the winner plays ohio st. or maybe a 4 team playoff including boise st.

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 7

Re: Playoff Format - long

A playoff simply won't happen until the BCS power conferences come to the right agreement. I have a lawyer friend that works at the NCAA headquarters. They told me flat out what is going on is a struggle between the BCS conferences and the NCAA on who runs a football playoff.

Ever notice how little to no mention the NCAA gets during the bowl season? That is not an accident. That is because the conferences control the bowls. And thus the conferences control the MONEY that flows from the bowls. Guess what would happen if the conferences let the NCAA in on the action in a playoff. Yep, the NCAA would get themselves a large slice of the pie.

Just think. In basketball the NCAA pays out roughly $150,000 for every game that is played to each participatant. That is less than $20 million dollars. Since the NCAA just signed a 10 year $2+ BILLION dollar deal with CBS they are paying only around 10% of the money from the basketball tournament to the participants of said tournament. If you were the commish of a conference, or an AD (like Pollard) looking for extra revenue, would you like to duplicate the same process with football?

So, what would it take to actually have a playoff? In my opinion it would take the BCS conferences threatening to leave the NCAA unless those money grubbing lawyers stayed out of the way.

Addict
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

I was always curious how much teams received for playing in the NCAA tournement. And I can see where a playoff would be a disadvantage money wise for the conference's.
    It sounds to me that maybe the NCAA tourney needs to rework how much they pay out as well.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

Well we have gotten the root of the problem with changing from a bowl system to a playoff one, money. Good luck getting the NCAA, a handful of big time conferences (who all think they are the best), and some big times from bowl games to come together. I challenge anyone to go into a room with big 10 reps, Rose bowl reps, and NCAA reps and get anything done.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 3

So you are suggesting a possible 16 game year for some teams???

When is the season going to end? Will there be two weeks before bowl games start, etc.?

In my opinion the only playoff system that will happen is where all the bowls are played and then afterwards you take the top 2 teams to play for the national title. OR a plus 2 where the top four teams get into a Final Four playoff scenerio. I think this would work great because there have traditionally been surprises in the BCS games where teams expected to win lose.

Also, under your system ISU would have never made a postseason. Sure they would have played in some crap bowl games like they already have, but those "crap" bowl games become even worse with a 16 game playoff system in the spotlight. I think the bowl system is fine, with possibly a +1 or +2 playoff system helping out.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    So you are suggesting a possible 16 game year for some teams???

When is the season going to end? Will there be two weeks before bowl games start, etc.?

Also, under your system ISU would have never made a postseason. Sure they would have played in some crap bowl games like they already have, but those "crap" bowl games become even worse with a 16 game playoff system in the spotlight. I think the bowl system is fine, with possibly a +1 or +2 playoff system helping out.
    ----Yes there would possibly be 16 game seasons for a couple teams, but in this day in age alot of teams are already playing 14 with no problem so u can't tell me that 16 would be too much to ask especially with a month break after 12....If everyone started on August 20th, and played 11 games like I mentioned, and everyone had one bye...the conference title games would (this year) be the weekend of November 11th and 12th.....non playoff bowl games would be played december 3rd-10th (average of 2 bowl games a night with one at 5 and one at 8 o'clock) with the playoff starting december 14th-16th, quarterfinals on december 22nd-23rd, semifinals december 29th-30th, and the championship game on saturday January 6th.

----A Bowl game is still a bowl game. It's the postseason and ISU fans would go to the bowl game. Look at The Chase in NASCAR....do the drivers who miss The Chase just throw in the towel? of course not because they can still savage a strong finish to their season as a momentum builder for next year. Same concept applys here, ISU wins their bowl game and they have that to build on for next year.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HGPuck View Post
    Well we have gotten the root of the problem with changing from a bowl system to a playoff one, money. Good luck getting the NCAA, a handful of big time conferences (who all think they are the best), and some big times from bowl games to come together. I challenge anyone to go into a room with big 10 reps, Rose bowl reps, and NCAA reps and get anything done.
    Fortunately we're not the ones going into those meetings trying to convince different parties that there should be some sort of a playoff system. At the very least I believe they could reach a unanimous decision that some years, like this one, there needs to be a plus one game between Michigan and Florida and the winner plays OSU and the loser still goes to a BCS bowl, or if there is a 4 team playoff the two winners play for the tite and the two losers play each other in a BCS bowl game

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

Asking them to play 16 games is not fair to the student athlete. You are increasing their risk of getting hurt, which could be a million dollar injury. This is the difference between bball and football. Also, sure you can still have bowl games but good luck getting the kind of sponsorship the games have now if you also have a playoff system. Not saying I like the current system and I think a playoff would be good, but just don't think a 16 team system would work very well. I think the best outcome would be some kind of a four team playoff that would incorporate the four big bowls in some way.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HGPuck View Post
    Asking them to play 16 games is not fair to the student athlete. You are increasing their risk of getting hurt, which could be a million dollar injury. This is the difference between bball and football. Also, sure you can still have bowl games but good luck getting the kind of sponsorship the games have now if you also have a playoff system. Not saying I like the current system and I think a playoff would be good, but just don't think a 16 team system would work very well.
    True it does increase their risk of getting hurt but any player could get a career ending injury on any play, any game, any year. Many players play hundreds of games in their career and adding a max of 2 games to that is worth the chance of playing for a national championship. I shortened the regular season by a game and the conf. championship game would be 12, a first round game would put them at 13, and quarterfinal game would be 14 (which is what many championship contenders currently play). So essentially the risk/reward would be such that an athlete would be risking injury in a national semifinal game and maybe a national title game.

Last edited by spinback32; 12-05-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Playoff Format - My idea

What is the benefit of a playoff system to a team like Iowa State? Or Kansas? Or Missouri?

One of the BCS systems biggest flaws is the artificial rankings that are used. Name and tradition plays WAY too much into where a team ends up. Teams like Iowa State would struggle to make it into such a playoff with a 10-2 record, while teams like Michigan or Notre Dame would make it every year with a 10-2 record. That is simply not fair. And I think our president and AD can see that and would never vote for playoff using the BCS system.

Here is my proposal:

Take the 6 BCS conferences and add 2 two conferences. Force all 8 of them to go to at least 12 teams and create divisions. How do you make the playoffs? Simple, you win your division. Period. Each conference plays a title game. (That keeps the conferences involved in the money) You are left with 8 teams. Play the first round in the 4 BCS bowls. Play rounds 2 and 3 at a chosen site. Like maybe the host of the Super Bowl.

Rookie
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This gives way too much power to the little conferences. In this scenario the Sunbelt would be getting as much money as the Big 12. That would be terrible for teams like Baylor, Minnesota, Northwestern, Iowa State. Because Troy would get more money/recognition for being in this "tournament". I think it is good to have better conferences than others because it gives a little more authority to the better schools.

A playoff system will never work in college football. There will always be a fight about who gets in no matter what system you run. Just like every year in college basketball the talk about who got snubbed. It would be the same in football with your proposed 4 at-large bids.
    Lets say as an example Notre Dame was 12th in one poll and 13th in the other and West Virgina is 13th in one poll and 12th in the other. What is the tie breaker and who should get in? Too many flaws unless you have a panel that sits down and selects the 16 best teams, much like college basketball. This would include all BCS champs.

I would like to see a playoff system, but I just can see the majority of people giving up that much money. The said thing is, we have a good system now. It mathematically puts the two best teams in a bowl to play each other.

Rookie
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Playoff Format - My idea

Quote Originally Posted by uthaman View Post
    Here is my proposal:

Take the 6 BCS conferences and add 2 two conferences. Force all 8 of them to go to at least 12 teams and create divisions. How do you make the playoffs? Simple, you win your division. Period. Each conference plays a title game. (That keeps the conferences involved in the money) You are left with 8 teams. Play the first round in the 4 BCS bowls. Play rounds 2 and 3 at a chosen site. Like maybe the host of the Super Bowl.
    Best proposal yet. But what other two conferences?

and what about Notre Dame and their sacred schedule? Haha just kidding. Notre Dame can blow me!