Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

What are our chances?

We have a very tough non conference schedule this year which includes a 6 road game streak, two top 15 teams and two defending conference champs.

@ Northern Iowa- has a 77-73 win over North Dakota State- ISU will win easily
    @ Creighton- has two loses to Nebraska and Arkansas St.- ISU will win easily
    @ Prairie View A&M- who- ISU wins easily
    @ Stanford- #8 team with a lost to Baylor and win over Minn, probably ranked higher then they should be- a very tough game that ISU will be lucky to win.
    @ San Diego State- not a bad team but not to Big12 caliber- ISU should win this game, but with the Stanford game being the day before this could be too close for comfort.
    @ Iowa- one win against nobody and currently losing to Kansas- ISU should win this game again, but it is a rivalry and the end of a very long road trip for ISU.
    Drake- has one win over the same nobody that Iowa played- ISU will win this one but it may be the toughest of the intrastate games.
    Detroit Mercy- has a loss to Cincinnati- easy win for ISU
    Minnesota- is 1-1 with a loss to Stanford- this is always a tough game but I expect ISU to win this game.
    Niagara- lost 116-50 to Michigan St- easy win for ISU
    Lamar or North Dakota- either way a win
    Vanderbilt- #14 team with two wins- another tough game but at home, I'm smelling upset.
    IPFW- has one bad lose to Illinois- an easy win for ISU.

I think if we can escape nc unbeaten, we will be in the top 10 and maybe the top 5. I see us losing 2 or 3 non conference games, but I'm hoping to go undefeated. If we make it to December undefeated, I like our chances to run the slate untouched.

I say 12-2 in non conference- who would of thought that the men have a chance to finish with the same non-conference record as the women.

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 32

Re: What are our chances?

Wow...I know its early and both are undefeated, but don't look into this too much. The chances of either going undeated are slim, let alone both. Granted, I would love to see the Twister Sisters in the Top 10 and I think they can be, but basketball is a crazy sport, especially women's bball. Just ask Toccara and Nicky.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I think if we can escape nc unbeaten, we will be in the top 10 and maybe the top 5. I see us losing 2 or 3 non conference games, but I'm hoping to go undefeated. If we make it to December undefeated, I like our chances to run the slate untouched.

I say 12-2 in non conference
    Make it through undefeated, and we'd pretty much have to be top-10. It's not likely, though. I'm not confident at all about Stanford or Vandy, and we could easily drop one to Iowa, Drake, Minn, or SD. Any more than 3 losses in non-conf would be disappointing.

I caught about 10 minutes of the Iowa-KU game on the radio this afternoon. Iowa's zone D was getting torched repeatedly. Kansas was 8-19 on threes against them. Last season, KU was 120-377 on threes for the season (for comparison, ISU was 267-735). If Iowa plays like that against ISU, it'll be raining threes in CHA.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, Iowa just lost 76-55 to KANSAS. The Kansas team that finished 10th in the Big12 last year with a 16-15 overall record and finished dead last in the conference two years ago. I think it is safe to assume we will beat Iowa in a few weeks.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ZJohnson View Post
    Wow...I know its early and both are undefeated, but don't look into this too much. The chances of either going undeated are slim, let alone both. Granted, I would love to see the Twister Sisters in the Top 10 and I think they can be, but basketball is a crazy sport, especially women's bball. Just ask Toccara and Nicky.
    Like I said, I think we will lose 2 or 3 games, but I'm always hoping for something better- just like I hope we can win on Saturday even though history tells me we are going to lose. The reason the men have a shot at finishing NC with a simular record as the women is because they have a joke of a schedule while the women have one of the toughest schedules in the country.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

We have a very tough non conference schedule this year which includes a 6 road game streak, two top 15 teams and two defending conference champs.

@ Northern Iowa- has a 77-73 win over North Dakota State- ISU will win easily
    @ Creighton- has two loses to Nebraska and Arkansas St.- ISU will win easily
    @ Prairie View A&M- who- ISU wins easily
    @ Stanford- #8 team with a lost to Baylor and win over Minn, probably ranked higher then they should be- a very tough game that ISU will be lucky to win.
    @ San Diego State- not a bad team but not to Big12 caliber- ISU should win this game, but with the Stanford game being the day before this could be too close for comfort.
    @ Iowa- one win against nobody and currently losing to Kansas- ISU should win this game again, but it is a rivalry and the end of a very long road trip for ISU.
    Drake- has one win over the same nobody that Iowa played- ISU will win this one but it may be the toughest of the intrastate games.
    Detroit Mercy- has a loss to Cincinnati- easy win for ISU
    Minnesota- is 1-1 with a loss to Stanford- this is always a tough game but I expect ISU to win this game.
    Niagara- lost 116-50 to Michigan St- easy win for ISU
    Lamar or North Dakota- either way a win
    Vanderbilt- #14 team with two wins- another tough game but at home, I'm smelling upset.
    IPFW- has one bad lose to Illinois- an easy win for ISU.

I say 12-2 in non conference- who would of thought that the men have a chance to finish with the same non-conference record as the women.
    None of the instate games are going to be "easy," especially when you are the top dog.

I think Stanford will be tough, if our 3s fall and we can make Appel work hard and wear/tire her down, we have a solid chance. I don't think they are near the team they were with Candice. Appel is a solid body post, but running her tires her out. That means making her work hard defensively and offensively. The Baylor game isn't much of a tell-tale as that was a payback game for Baylor, and I personally think Baylor is going to be top dog and a top 5 team this year. Even if we lose, if it is a close game, it will be good for ISUs reputation.

San Diego State is a solid well coached team that is the top team in their conference.

Big 12. I thought KSU would be our competitor in the Big 12 North, but I watched them play Northwestern last night, and they aren't the same scoring team without Dietz. Of course NW has a great new coach. Leihning is awesome, but her 3 point shooting is around 25%. The interesting game I want to see is Texas at ISU.

I think ISU is a top 15 team depending on well our posts perform on offense and our dribble penetration does. Yes, we rely on 3s. But we need the post and penetration to open those shots up. Arlen and Williams really help to address those issues and I think will suprise some teams as they are Freshman that we under the recruiting radar and weren't scouted. And Wieben and Bolte need to be consistent scorers.

Altough the UMKC game isn't much of a tell-tale, they are a much better team this year, and they took Kansas and Mizzou to the wire last year, one game to OT. Yes, KU and MU weren't top teams, but they are Big 12 teams and are both well coached.

See my previous post from Graham Hays when he says ISU is a team to watch.

I'd say if the stars align, ISU goes to the sweet sixteen/elite eight with good seeding.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Make it through undefeated, and we'd pretty much have to be top-10. It's not likely, though. I'm not confident at all about Stanford or Vandy, and we could easily drop one to Iowa, Drake, Minn, or SD. Any more than 3 losses in non-conf would be disappointing.

I caught about 10 minutes of the Iowa-KU game on the radio this afternoon. Iowa's zone D was getting torched repeatedly. Kansas was 8-19 on threes against them. Last season, KU was 120-377 on threes for the season (for comparison, ISU was 267-735). If Iowa plays like that against ISU, it'll be raining threes in CHA.
    Vandy is going to be tougher than Stanford in my opinion, but we get to play them at Hilton. We lost by a dozen or so to Vandy last year at their place I believe. And Vandy and Stanford as good as they are, will be nervous about playing us as well.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Vandy is going to be tougher than Stanford in my opinion, but we get to play them at Hilton. We lost by a dozen or so to Vandy last year at their place I believe. And Vandy and Stanford as good as they are, will be nervous about playing us as well.
    I agree with this completely. Stanford is still a good team, but they are not deserving of the #8 ranking after losing to Baylor like they did and narrowly winning over Minnesota. Stanford will still be tough and the fact that we are meeting them on a neutral court in a tournament will make it that much tougher. I think Vanderbilt is a better team, but we play them at home.

Think about this, there is a good chance that if we run the table before Vanderbilt, we will be ranked higher then Vanderbilt when we play them.

Oh, we also moved up one spot in the voting, we are now 27th in the AP poll and Old Dominion will likely get dropped this week so if we just win our games this week we may crack the top25 in next weeks poll.

Last edited by jaretac; 11-18-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Think about this, there is a good chance that if we run the table before Vanderbilt, we will be ranked higher then Vanderbilt when we play them.
    I'm not sure this is true. Vandy was picked to win the SEC (over Tennessee), so they have a lot of respect already built up. Other than #15 Notre Dame and ISU, they don't play a single team in non-conf that received votes in the most recent AP poll.

The only teams they face that finished in the top 100 in RPI last year (other than ND and ISU) are:
    Western Kentucky -- game already happened (Vandy won 90-72)
    Michigan -- recently lost to perennial doormat Akron
    Virginia Tech -- narrowly defeated a UNC-Greensboro team (at home) that was 6-24 last year
    Liberty -- lost a home game to Virginia Commonwealth.

The only real chance of a loss among those four is Liberty, and that game is @ Vandy.

If you really want to split hairs, their game vs Notre Dame during the same week as the ISU game (ND on Tues, ISU on Sat), so even if they lose to ND there won't be new polls between the ND game and the ISU game. :)

Long story short, I fully expect Vandy to come into the ISU game with either 0 or 1 loss and a top-10 ranking.

Last edited by mred; 11-18-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

and we could easily drop one to Iowa, Drake, Minn, or SD.
    I forgot Creighton in that list. They always play ISU well.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not sure this is true. Vandy was picked to win the SEC (over Tennessee), so they have a lot of respect already built up. Other than #15 Notre Dame and ISU, they don't play a single team in non-conf that received votes in the most recent AP poll.
    That is part of the reason that ISU may be higher. We play a #8 team a week from Sunday, and Vandy is ranked #14. If we win out in a tournament that is thousands of miles from home that includes a top 10 team, we will shot up the rankings rapidly. Plus, we play 6 road games back to back to back to back to back to back, in a schedule that includes a numerous rivals and two defending conference champs.

If ISU and Vandy win all their games before they play each other, ISU will come in more tested then Vandy which should result in a slightly better ranking. If we win all our game before then and are not higher then Vandy in the polls, we will be only one or two spots lower.

Last edited by jaretac; 11-18-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 929

I forgot Creighton in that list. They always play ISU well.
    Creighton lost at home to Nebraska yesterday.

Also, KSU barely eeked out a win at a bad bad Northwestern team. (in a completely empty gym. it was on the Big 11 Network ) Are there any other good B12 north teams this year?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post

Also, KSU barely eeked out a win at a bad bad Northwestern team. (in a completely empty gym. it was on the Big 11 Network ) Are there any other good B12 north teams this year?
    Well, Kansas beat Iowa, that has got to account for something

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

About a third of the fans at that game were Nebraska fans, from what I hear, and it was a close game.

Last year, Creighton opened up a 10-point lead on us at Hilton with 10 minutes to go before we came from behind to win it. That season, Creighton lost to Kansas by 35, Nebraska by 14, and Drake twice by a total of 42. They did beat Kansas State by 7, so go figure.

Official attendance: 411. Ouch.

The way Kansas handled Iowa, they could be ok. I still think Kansas State and Nebraska will be pretty good as well. I don't expect much out of the other two. The five highest-ranked teams in the conference are in the south, and that's the way it should be until we can prove we belong.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I watched that game last night. NO WAY was there 411 people there. 41, maybe. And that's not an exaggeration.