Identity theft. Help Please!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 22,196, Level: 45
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    htownclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,898
    Points
    22,196
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Identity theft. Help Please!

    So I got a call from Wells Fargo last week telling me that someone had hacked into my online account and attempted to transfer all of my money out of my account and into another account. (They were probably really disappointed when they saw the balance.)

    So this means they had my soc. security # and now have all my information. I have called the big 3 credit bureau's and put a fraud alert on them. What bothers me is that it really does nothing to prevent someone from still using my credit. They told me if I want to freeze my credit to completely 100% prevent someone from using it, I'd have to pay $14 to freeze and $14 to unfreeze it every time I needed to use it. Seemingly a nice way for them to make money.

    I've heard by law they are supposed to do it for free, but the process is extremely lengthy and you have to file a police report, etc. I've been on the phone with automated messages all weekend and only once was able to talk to a real person. Of course he was foreign and I couldn't understand a damn word he said and he eventually hung up the phone on me. He was from TransUnion.

    Has anyone ever had this happen to them, or know exactly the process to go through?

    It is so hard to find any of that info on their websites cause the credit bureau's themselves don't want you to freeze it cause they make money from giving out your information.

    HELP PLEASE!


    You can't polish a turd.

  2. #2
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 362,200, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    23,228
    Points
    362,200
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 416
    Given: 862

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    Identity Theft 911 - Identity Theft Knowledge Center(TM) - If You're a Victim

    Here's a start.

    Does Wells Fargo offer resolution assistance?



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 22,196, Level: 45
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    htownclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,898
    Points
    22,196
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    Identity Theft 911 - Identity Theft Knowledge Center(TM) - If You're a Victim

    Here's a start.

    Does Wells Fargo offer resolution assistance?
    Well they froze my account before the money was transferred. So I didn't lose that money. They are going to be opening up a new account for me. It just freaks me out cause I have no idea how they got that info. If they wanted to, they could already have out mortgages, have credit cards and anything else they want.


    You can't polish a turd.

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 20,605, Level: 43
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,406
    Points
    20,605
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 35

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by htownclone View Post
    So I got a call from Wells Fargo last week telling me that someone had hacked into my online account and attempted to transfer all of my money out of my account and into another account. (They were probably really disappointed when they saw the balance.)

    So this means they had my soc. security # and now have all my information. I have called the big 3 credit bureau's and put a fraud alert on them. What bothers me is that it really does nothing to prevent someone from still using my credit. They told me if I want to freeze my credit to completely 100% prevent someone from using it, I'd have to pay $14 to freeze and $14 to unfreeze it every time I needed to use it. Seemingly a nice way for them to make money.

    I've heard by law they are supposed to do it for free, but the process is extremely lengthy and you have to file a police report, etc. I've been on the phone with automated messages all weekend and only once was able to talk to a real person. Of course he was foreign and I couldn't understand a damn word he said and he eventually hung up the phone on me. He was from TransUnion.

    Has anyone ever had this happen to them, or know exactly the process to go through?

    It is so hard to find any of that info on their websites cause the credit bureau's themselves don't want you to freeze it cause they make money from giving out your information.

    HELP PLEASE!
    Just curious how this could have happened. If they have your username/password combination they can access your on-line account without your SSN. That might not have been compromised. Do you use a wireless router? Do you have the security settings all set as high as possible? Is the router WPA or WEP? WEP is essentially worthless if someone is determined to get your info.



  5. #5
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 272,568, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,896
    Points
    272,568
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 669
    Given: 388

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    I would suggest Lifelock. They will monitor your credit and its only $10 per month. They will stop/fix any fraud at no cost to you.

    www.lifelock.com



  6. #6
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 362,200, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    23,228
    Points
    362,200
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 416
    Given: 862

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    Just curious how this could have happened. If they have your username/password combination they can access your on-line account without your SSN. That might not have been compromised. Do you use a wireless router? Do you have the security settings all set as high as possible? Is the router WPA or WEP? WEP is essentially worthless if someone is determined to get your info.
    That's true - but even if they could see the traffic to his bank, as long as he's on a secure page they shouldn't be able to crack that - unless he got phished and gave them everything that they need.

    If they have his SSN and other information, he might have had someone else leak his data - maybe not even Wells Fargo, but someone else he's dealt with.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,172, Level: 61
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,178
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    tman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,060
    Points
    39,172
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 30

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    i thought lifelock was a hoax and they actually dont do anything


    Hooray for Metaphors!

  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 22,196, Level: 45
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    htownclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,898
    Points
    22,196
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    Just curious how this could have happened. If they have your username/password combination they can access your on-line account without your SSN. That might not have been compromised. Do you use a wireless router? Do you have the security settings all set as high as possible? Is the router WPA or WEP? WEP is essentially worthless if someone is determined to get your info.
    I think it's set on WEP, but with a password to use it. My username on wells fargo was my social security number.


    You can't polish a turd.

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 135,027, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,339
    Points
    135,027
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    I would suggest Lifelock. They will monitor your credit and its only $10 per month. They will stop/fix any fraud at no cost to you.

    www.lifelock.com

    Or try "Wifelock" a secure system which spends all of your money as quick it hits your account discouraging potential theives.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 343,463, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,603
    Points
    343,463
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 356

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    Or try "Wifelock" a secure system which spends all of your money as quick it hits your account discouraging potential theives.
    I'd been riding this service for years...



  11. #11
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 272,568, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,896
    Points
    272,568
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 669
    Given: 388

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by htownclone View Post
    I think it's set on WEP, but with a password to use it. My username on wells fargo was my social security number.
    My WF username was my social too...I just changed it a few weeks ago. Why that is the "name" they give you is beyond stupid...



  12. #12
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 251,669, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    17,874
    Points
    251,669
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,097
    Given: 924

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    We were victims last week. Luckily our credit card company calls right away if we're making purchases at places that aren't central iowa.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 20,605, Level: 43
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,406
    Points
    20,605
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 35

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by htownclone View Post
    I think it's set on WEP, but with a password to use it. My username on wells fargo was my social security number.
    Ouch. There's a double whammy there. I would switch your wireless router to WPA ASAP. WEP encryption is broken and is no longer secure. Could be somebody driving around the neighborhood looking for open networks, or in a worst case scenario one of your neighbors.

    Secondly, never ever ever use your SSN as your username. If Wells makes you do this they flunk IT security. I would think it would be configurable and you could switch it to something else. If somebody really wanted to hack your data, they could now have your SSN because of using WEP. Use of your SSN should be minimized at much as possibly on either hard copies or on-line transactions.

    Hope everything works out. That's certainly not fun.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 20,605, Level: 43
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Cyclone90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnston, IA
    Posts
    1,406
    Points
    20,605
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 35

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    That's true - but even if they could see the traffic to his bank, as long as he's on a secure page they shouldn't be able to crack that - unless he got phished and gave them everything that they need.

    If they have his SSN and other information, he might have had someone else leak his data - maybe not even Wells Fargo, but someone else he's dealt with.
    Right. My bad. https: shouldn't allow that to happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    My WF username was my social too...I just changed it a few weeks ago. Why that is the "name" they give you is beyond stupid...
    Now, if the hacker grabbed your SSN from some other non-secure on-line traffic, knows that Wells default username is your SSN, and got your password too, then it might happen.

    I just seems like more than a coincidence that the hacker knew your Wells user/pass combo.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 22,196, Level: 45
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    htownclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,898
    Points
    22,196
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Identity theft. Help Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    Ouch. There's a double whammy there. I would switch your wireless router to WPA ASAP. WEP encryption is broken and is no longer secure. Could be somebody driving around the neighborhood looking for open networks, or in a worst case scenario one of your neighbors.

    Secondly, never ever ever use your SSN as your username. If Wells makes you do this they flunk IT security. I would think it would be configurable and you could switch it to something else. If somebody really wanted to hack your data, they could now have your SSN because of using WEP. Use of your SSN should be minimized at much as possibly on either hard copies or on-line transactions.

    Hope everything works out. That's certainly not fun.
    Wells Fargo does it by default. I guess I assumed since that was what they gave me I wasn't worried about it, cause I don't use it for anything else at all. I just hate not knowing how the heck it happened. Wells Fargo wouldn't tell me how either. They wouldn't tell me a thing, which pisses me off beyond belief.


    You can't polish a turd.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM