Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 12

Rob Jeter

If I remember correctly, the U of Wisconsin - Milwaukee coach (Rob Jeter) was the other one that Jamie was courting when we got Greg McD. He was an assistant at Wisconsin when Pollard was there.

How did he do during Sunday's game as far as coaching? Looks like his record at UW-M has been good.

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 444
    Given: 889

Re: Rob Jeter

They/He did well out of timeouts and the like. They run a good offensive set and execute pretty well. However, I noticed they didn't adjust well to our outside shooting and multiple shooters. Also, I pegged their team playing with more heart than talent. But nothing shouted out: We should have hired him.

-keep

Speechless
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,868
    Given: 1,608

You're right. I think we've definitely got the right guy.
    I feel badly for him as the sacrificial lamb that JP trotted out there as a rumor, but it's worked out well for us.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 443

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    You're right. I think we've definitely got the right guy.
    I feel badly for him as the sacrificial lamb that JP trotted out there as a rumor, but it's worked out well for us.
    I was thrilled when we hired GMac! And I am not going to bash him at all...this year! But I am not sure what any of us have seen to make the statement that "it's worked out well for us"? What has worked out well?

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 579
    Given: 405

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    I was thrilled when we hired GMac! And I am not going to bash him at all...this year! But I am not sure what any of us have seen to make the statement that "it's worked out well for us"? What has worked out well?

That we seem to have a guy who loves to be here and the players seem to respect. I like that we won three in a row so far and the players havent given up when they were down. Im actually pretty excited for basketball this year, more than the previous few. This team looks like they have some fun kids, good kids, that I can really cheer for.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    That we seem to have a guy who loves to be here and the players seem to respect. I like that we won three in a row so far and the players havent given up when they were down. Im actually pretty excited for basketball this year, more than the previous few. This team looks like they have some fun kids, good kids, that I can really cheer for.
    I understand what you are saying. And I agree. BUT the process to getting to this point has been painful to say the least. Not all GMac's fault. But what if we finish in the bottom 2 of our league this year? I know that is not the positive frame of mind to have at the beginning of a season but it very well could happen! If it does...that is going to be a long January/February stretch! And if it does...there will not be much positivity on this board at all. What if we have another kid leave the program? Or two? That stuff has not been very much fun to watch!

Again, I apologize for not being over-enthusiastic. I guess I am just being cautious? I would love nothing more than to see GMac cutting down the nets in the Big XII championship! I just think we are a lot closer to finishing last than we are finishing first.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I understand what you are saying. And I agree. BUT the process to getting to this point has been painful to say the least. Not all GMac's fault. But what if we finish in the bottom 2 of our league this year? I know that is not the positive frame of mind to have at the beginning of a season but it very well could happen! If it does...that is going to be a long January/February stretch! And if it does...there will not be much positivity on this board at all. What if we have another kid leave the program? Or two? That stuff has not been very much fun to watch!

Again, I apologize for not being over-enthusiastic. I guess I am just being cautious? I would love nothing more than to see GMac cutting down the nets in the Big XII championship! I just think we are a lot closer to finishing last than we are finishing first.
    I know we are only 3 games in and I've stated before that we are much better than last year. Big difference for me is the ceiling for improvement is so much higher than in the past.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 444
    Given: 889

two MAJOR upgrades I see at the start of this year versus where we finished last year is:

1. 3 point shooting. We have more shooters than non-shooters. Between the extended three point line and our shooters, the post opens up.

2. Dribble penetration. DG, LS and WE all get to the hoop and make defenders commit to a double team. Granted DG is struggling a bit at finishing, but attacking the basket opens up more options.

Notice I didn't say from the start of last year to the start of this year... I am talking about how we finished a full season to today where we are starting a new one. It gives me much hope and assurance in GMac (not that I had doubts) .... I am glad of the progress I have seen from last year to this year AND from Fridays game to Sundays game.

-keep

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 23

I think there is no question that is true but I really don't think people are asking GMac cut down the nets for a Big 12 championship. Finishing in the top half of the big 12 seems to be a goal being throw around here a lot.

I went to the game on friday and I didn't think there was a chance in **** we were going to pull that one out but I hope this team surprises me a lot like that this year. I know it is only 3 games in but in all reality I don't think it is a strectch to say we look better that we did last year...And as long as the shooting keeps up we will win more games than last year...

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

You're right to apologize. Greg McDermott is the man. He's cleaned up the roster now and he's going to show us his coaching ability. Thanks for apologizing, and don't let's hear that you hate Cael Sanderson and Greg Geoffrey.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jj-cyclones View Post
    I think there is no question that is true but I really don't think people are asking GMac cut down the nets for a Big 12 championship. Finishing in the top half of the big 12 seems to be a goal being throw around here a lot.
    That is a fair goal for this season! I would be very satisfied with the growth shown in order to finish in the top half of the Big XII!

I realize that the program was a mess at the time of the transition from WM to GMac. I think basketball is easier to turn around than football is as well. It is way too early to know how this season will turn out! But no matter what...being 3-0 is as good as we can be right now! That is for sure!

Recruit
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 9

I have to say, I sometimes wish we had hired Jeter, but for personal reasons. I'm a huge fan of McDermott and think he has the program headed in a better direction than Wayne Morgan. One of Jeter's assisitant coaches (Chad Boudreau) would have came with him to ISU. He was an assistant at Indian Hills in Ottumwa and played his high school ball at Harmony of Farmington, IA. He also babysat my cousins and I when we were little. It would have been pretty cool to say my old babysitter is an assistant coach at ISU. I wandered down to the bench and got to see him and his mom was at the game as well. He even invited my cousin up from Simpson for the game. Very good guy and a great coach.

But like I've said, I also am really happy with Greg McDermott. I think we have a bright future with him.

Last edited by seiowaclone; 11-17-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 911
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by kg-cyclone View Post
    I know we are only 3 games in and I've stated before that we are much better than last year. Big difference for me is the ceiling for improvement is so much higher than in the past.
    What did you think of the games this weekend? Were you happy with how we played? Any surprises?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jsb View Post
    What did you think of the games this weekend? Were you happy with how we played? Any surprises?
    1st game...Disappointed in our shooting, but knew that there were some butterflies for a lot of the guys. Vanderbeken played better than I expected (still worry about him in Big 12 play) Overall it was basically what I expected. Colorado runs a similar offense...should help us in that regard.

2nd...Expected better shooting than Friday night, but again I've seen our guys a lot more than most. So I wasn't shocked by anything.

3rd...Thought this was one that we could drop, but we played well. Would have been nice to see Lucca and Eikmeier in the game at the same time...Just because I'm curous to see what the defense does.

Based on practices and games...this team has some potential to do some nice things.