Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 145,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,704
    Points
    145,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

    Youth of the Big XII

    I was curious, because I thought we had a young team what the rest of the league looked like. I took the top seven in the rotation through the weekend games (by minutes played) and averaged out their years. It looks like we have one of the older squads in the league with only Missouri and Nebraska ahead of us. Kansas is BY FAR the youngest team. That tells me that we need this to be our year, no matter how young we think our team is. We will lose three starters next year and bring in one new face and we have seen what the other teams are bringing in...

    Missouri (3.00)
    Taylor (jr)
    Carroll (sr)
    Lyons (sr)
    Tiller (jr)
    Lawrence (sr)
    Denmon (fr)
    Safford (so)

    Nebraska (3.00)
    Harley (sr)
    Henry (jr)
    Dagunduro (sr)
    Anderson (jr)
    McCray (fr)
    Miller (so)
    Velender (sr)

    Iowa State (2.86)
    Garrett (so)
    Thompson (sr)
    Peterson (sr)
    Eikmeier (fr)
    Vanderbeken (jr)
    Brackins (so)
    Haluska (sr)

    Texas (2.71)
    Abrams (sr)
    Mason (jr)
    James (jr)
    Atchley (sr)
    Ward (fr)
    Johnson (so)
    Chapman (so)

    Texas A&M (2.71)
    Sloan (jr)
    Carter (sr)
    Davis (jr)
    Roland (jr)
    Elonu (jr)
    Holmes (so)
    Harris (fr)

    Oklahoma State (2.57)
    Anderson (so)
    Eaton (sr)
    Thomas (so)
    Muonelo (jr)
    Harris (sr)
    Page (fr)
    Moses (so)

    Baylor (2.43)
    Dugat (sr)
    Jerrells (sr)
    Rogers (sr)
    Dunn (so)
    Acy (fr)
    Jones (fr)
    Ellis (fr)

    Oklahoma (2.43)
    Griffin (so)
    Griffin (so)
    Warren (fr)
    Johnson (sr)
    Crocker (jr)
    Davis (so)
    Wright (jr)

    Texas Tech (2.43)
    Roberson (so)
    Voskuil (sr)
    Roberts (so)
    Okorie (jr)
    Grahm (fr)
    Cook (jr)
    Singletary (so)

    Kansas State (2.29)
    Pullen (so)
    Kent (sr)
    Clemente (jr)
    Samuels (fr)
    Anderson (so)
    Sutton (so)
    Brown (so)

    Colorado (2.00)
    Higgins (so)
    Tomlinson (fr)
    Dufault (fr)
    Thorne (jr)
    Crawford (so)
    Jackson-Wilson (sr)
    Eckoff (fr)

    Kansas (1.86)
    Collins (jr)
    Reed (so)
    Morningstar (jr)
    Morris (fr)
    Aldrich (so)
    Taylor (fr)
    Releford (fr)



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  2. #2
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 302,318, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    22,990
    Points
    302,318
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 706

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    That is an interesting stat. I don't know if seniority means as much as it used to with one and two year players, though. I think it does mean we have an advantage in at least one area.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 145,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,704
    Points
    145,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    Quote Originally Posted by LindenCy View Post
    That is an interesting stat. I don't know if seniority means as much as it used to with one and two year players, though. I think it does mean we have an advantage in at least one area.
    When you consider Oklahoma could lose a freshman and sophmore to the draft then I guess your right. I guess my point was thta this is the year we need to make a serious move or we may lose ground...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 27,762, Level: 51
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    BigDISU1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Oskaloosa, Iowa
    Posts
    1,195
    Points
    27,762
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Youth of the Big XII


    starters:
    Diante so
    Lucca so
    Wes fr
    JVB jr
    Brackins so

    reserves:
    Haluska sr
    Peterson sr

    Throw in this "end of year" starting line-up (I think you predicted this in a different thread) and add 2 seniors (for 7 players total), we drop down a bit... 2.57






  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 145,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,704
    Points
    145,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDISU1 View Post
    starters:
    Diante so
    Lucca so
    Wes fr
    JVB jr
    Brackins so

    reserves:
    Haluska sr
    Peterson sr

    Throw in this "end of year" starting line-up (I think you predicted this in a different thread) and add 2 seniors (for 7 players total), we drop down a bit... 2.57
    True, but we are still relying on seniors for alot of minutes, even if they are walk ons...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  6. #6
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 227,061, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,180
    Points
    227,061
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 331

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    We lose 3 starters in Haluska, Thompson and Peterson. While that will hurt our experience, I don't think the backups behind them or that far behind like on some teams. So I think it's kind of mis-leading.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  7. #7
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    Some of it is misleading. Oklahoma has the best player in the league in Griffin and he's only a sophomore. While some experience does matter, some of these teams have some better young talent than we currently have...

    It is an interesting stat to look at though. At the very least, I think it shows the consistency that's expected from each team.


    I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Points: 14,652, Level: 36
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    422
    Points
    14,652
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    I have a feeling as the season goes on guys like Hamilton and Buckley will be a much larger part of the rotation. All 3 Seniors are role players. They are great kids and I hope they continue to contribute but the younger kids will be logging more minutes as the season rolls along.



  9. #9
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 274,187, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,168
    Points
    274,187
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    On paper, we are going to be younger next year than we are this year.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 253,607, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,409
    Points
    253,607
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 351

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    Lucca



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 253,607, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,409
    Points
    253,607
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 351

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    Lucca will be starting soon so we lose only 2 starters. We just got better next year!



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 385,662, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,589
    Points
    385,662
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 399
    Given: 279

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    True, but we are still relying on seniors for alot of minutes, even if they are walk ons...

    Im hoping these guys are the training wheels for our new guys and once they come off, the others can take over on their own.



  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 18,486, Level: 41
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    Posts
    721
    Points
    18,486
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    Interesting stats, it shows a couple of things:

    1.) cybsball20, you have a lot of time on your hands!
    2.) It could be one reason we were able to come back on Friday night

    I only got to watch the Saturday and Sunday games, but I was overall impressed with JVB and Hamilton. I will not be a bit surprised if Thompson is playing less than 10 minutes a game by the time we get to conference play. I do think that Petey and SH will be playing quite a bit all year in the 2 spot, and Lucca will clearly take over the the 3 spot.

    Overall, I was pleasantly surprised and look forward to how this team gets better over the year.

    Thanks for the work looking all this info up for us!



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 145,413, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,704
    Points
    145,413
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    Quote Originally Posted by JRE1975 View Post
    1.) cybsball20, you have a lot of time on your hands!
    I don't require much sleep...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 58,116, Level: 74
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,406
    Points
    58,116
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

    Re: Youth of the Big XII

    Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I was curious, because I thought we had a young team what the rest of the league looked like. I took the top seven in the rotation through the weekend games (by minutes played) and averaged out their years. It looks like we have one of the older squads in the league with only Missouri and Nebraska ahead of us. Kansas is BY FAR the youngest team. That tells me that we need this to be our year, no matter how young we think our team is. We will lose three starters next year and bring in one new face and we have seen what the other teams are bringing in...

    Missouri (3.00)
    Taylor (jr)
    Carroll (sr)
    Lyons (sr)
    Tiller (jr)
    Lawrence (sr)
    Denmon (fr)
    Safford (so)

    Nebraska (3.00)
    Harley (sr)
    Henry (jr)
    Dagunduro (sr)
    Anderson (jr)
    McCray (fr)
    Miller (so)
    Velender (sr)

    Iowa State (2.86)
    Garrett (so)
    Thompson (sr)
    Peterson (sr)
    Eikmeier (fr)
    Vanderbeken (jr)
    Brackins (so)
    Haluska (sr)

    Texas (2.71)
    Abrams (sr)
    Mason (jr)
    James (jr)
    Atchley (sr)
    Ward (fr)
    Johnson (so)
    Chapman (so)

    Texas A&M (2.71)
    Sloan (jr)
    Carter (sr)
    Davis (jr)
    Roland (jr)
    Elonu (jr)
    Holmes (so)
    Harris (fr)

    Oklahoma State (2.57)
    Anderson (so)
    Eaton (sr)
    Thomas (so)
    Muonelo (jr)
    Harris (sr)
    Page (fr)
    Moses (so)

    Baylor (2.43)
    Dugat (sr)
    Jerrells (sr)
    Rogers (sr)
    Dunn (so)
    Acy (fr)
    Jones (fr)
    Ellis (fr)

    Oklahoma (2.43)
    Griffin (so)
    Griffin (so)
    Warren (fr)
    Johnson (sr)
    Crocker (jr)
    Davis (so)
    Wright (jr)

    Texas Tech (2.43)
    Roberson (so)
    Voskuil (sr)
    Roberts (so)
    Okorie (jr)
    Grahm (fr)
    Cook (jr)
    Singletary (so)

    Kansas State (2.29)
    Pullen (so)
    Kent (sr)
    Clemente (jr)
    Samuels (fr)
    Anderson (so)
    Sutton (so)
    Brown (so)

    Colorado (2.00)
    Higgins (so)
    Tomlinson (fr)
    Dufault (fr)
    Thorne (jr)
    Crawford (so)
    Jackson-Wilson (sr)
    Eckoff (fr)

    Kansas (1.86)
    Collins (jr)
    Reed (so)
    Morningstar (jr)
    Morris (fr)
    Aldrich (so)
    Taylor (fr)
    Releford (fr)

    Good analysis - I enjoyed seeing that.

    If you are analyzing it as where the teams are going to be in 1, 2, 3 years down the road, you might want to make some adjustments for those likely to leave early. Blake Griffin is sure to leave after this season, so he could be considered a Sr. if you are looking at it like that. Daimon James is another guy who is likely to be drafted after this year. Coach Self is recruiting as if Sherron Collins won't be around next season. After that, there's a number of guys who could leave this season, but will might still leave early. Craig Brackens is probably on that list, along with guys like Cole Aldrich, Willie Warren, James Anderson, and possibly LaceDarius Dunn.

    I think when it all shakes out during conference play, KU's top 7 will be more like:

    Collins (jr - If Self's recruiting strategy for 2009 is any indication, he probably will go pro after this season, so he's counted as a sr in this analysis)
    Taylor (fr)
    Reed (so)
    Little (jr - currently injured so no minutes)
    Aldrich (so - counted as a jr b/c likely he won't be at KU for 3 more seasons)
    Markief Morris (fr)
    Marcus Morris (fr)

    So I guess that gives KU a 2.14 looking at it from this viewpoint. The 8th and 9th guys are also freshmen, so KU is definitely very young. I guess that is expected when the whole team decides to leave all at once.

    ----

    Switching gears, looking at ISU, it seems the most replaceable players are the seniors in our top 7. In my opinion, Haluska, Thompson, and (especially) Peterson are below-average at their position in regards to the Big XII as a whole. The potential of our younger guys far exceeds the current ability of these three seniors, I believe. So ISU's age score is probably inflated as to the true age of the talent on the team. Mac seems to be lining up more and more talent down the road as well, which is great. If ISU can find a way to keep Brackins around for four years and pick up Barnes, the Garrett, Barnes, Brackens trio with a solid supporting cast (Eikmeier as a shooter, for example, would be a huge offensive asset to supplement these three) could have a good shot at putting ISU in the top 3 in the Big XII in 2010-2011.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM