For those who don't think we'll ever be able to keep Chizik
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

For those who don't think we'll ever be able to keep Chizik

Rutger's Schiano is staying put and has said no to Miami.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 586
    Given: 361

Re: For those who don't think we'll ever be able to keep Chizik

Did it ever occur to you that maybe he doesn't want the Miami job?

And, I don't blame him.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Smart move, he'd become the victim of enormous expectations.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

let's just wait until ISU is consistently challenging for the Big 12 north and winning 8-9 games a year before we start worrying about Chiz leaving just yet...

is it just me or is anyone else nervous about the patchwork recruiting class ISU will have come February? Perhaps Chiz can pull a GMac and still attract some quality, perhaps mix in some JUCO talent to fill in where the gaps will be greatest next year...

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I am very worried about this year's recruiting class. It will be a miracle if Chizik can get any talent at all at this point in the process. Offensive line is a must and we will have to bring in some jucos for sure.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Chizik isn't going to turn things around in an instant. It's going to take three to four years before his first recruits are upper-classmen and we get a better idea of the direction of the program. In both Bball and Football I'm excited about the new coaches, but we're going to have to be patient during the next couple years.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneFan65 View Post
    Chizik isn't going to turn things around in an instant. It's going to take three to four years before his first recruits are upper-classmen and we get a better idea of the direction of the program. In both Bball and Football I'm excited about the new coaches, but we're going to have to be patient during the next couple years.
    Thats the key point. We need to be patient. People aren't being patient with GMac right now and they should for him as well.

Walk On Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

schiono is now going to interview with miami, at least as of last night

the lonely cyclone in husker country

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Schiano is a Rutgers grad, so thats probably one reason.

He'll also be in the running for better jobs than Miami in the future.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,335
    Given: 935

As of SportsCenter tonite Schiano's staying put. Also, rumor is he's interested in the Penn St. job when Paterno finally retires (or dies).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Question Re: For those who don't think we'll ever be able to keep Chizik

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rock View Post
    He'll also be in the running for better jobs than Miami in the future.
    I'd opine that Miami is one of the premier jobs in college football; it seems most anybody can win a National Championship there (Howard Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Larry Coker). As for expectations, they'll always have them at Miami given their past success, but now would be a great time to take over given they're coming off a couple of disappointing seasons (by their standards).

Please name me three college programs that are a "better job" than Miami! The only thing they lack is "facilities", and Donna Shalala has promised that'll be remedied...

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Why all the concern about how long Chizik will stay at ISU? We're not marrying the guy! It is the norm for a coach to only stay at one program for 5-10 years. The tradition or stature of the program does not matter. Spurrier only stayed at Florida 10 or 11 years and that was his alma mater.

Between 5-10 years the coach either is ousted for lack of performance or he moves on to bigger and better opportunities. There are very few Bobby Bowden / Joe Paterno situations out there. Look at McCarney...12 years at ISU and he's the dean of coaches in the league (and I think I read somewhere the 8th longest tenured coach in D-I out of about 120 teams).

Frankly, I hope in 2 to 3 years other schools and the NFL are beating his door down because that will mean he has done great things at ISU!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    I'd opine that Miami is one of the premier jobs in college football; it seems most anybody can win a National Championship there (Howard Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson, Dennis Erickson, Butch Davis, Larry Coker). As for expectations, they'll always have them at Miami given their past success, but now would be a great time to take over given they're coming off a couple of disappointing seasons (by their standards).

Please name me three college programs that are a "better job" than Miami! The only thing they lack is "facilities", and Donna Shalala has promised that'll be remedied...
    Florida, Florida State, Texas, Oklahoma, and USC are all better jobs than The U. This is just to name a few... there are others that are better as well. I lived in Miami for a while. They have poor facilities as you indicate. They also have poor fan support and average (at best) alumni / booster support. If you think "anybody" can win a National Championship there look back beyond the past 25 years to get some perspective. The one thing they really have going is the fertile recruiting base.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    Florida, Florida State, Texas, Oklahoma, and USC are all better jobs than The U. This is just to name a few... there are others that are better as well. I lived in Miami for a while. They have poor facilities as you indicate. They also have poor fan support and average (at best) alumni / booster support. If you think "anybody" can win a National Championship there look back beyond the past 25 years to get some perspective. The one thing they really have going is the fertile recruiting base.
    What does 25 years ago have to do with now? As of 2006, the U has a tradition of winning national championships, fertile recruiting base and a university president who's vowed to improve facilities. I honestly don't know about the fan or booster support (though I doubt it's as bad as you portray) and was being fascetious with the comment about "anybody" being able to win there. What I do know is that "the U" has won more National Championships in the past 25 years than any of the schools you note! Isn't that what a coach signs on for, the chance to win a Championship? My opinion - Greg Schiano will never win a national title at Rutgers; assuming he's as good as he appears, he'd have a great shot at Miami! JMHO, and I'm not a Hurricane fan.

Silly argument anyway, unless you somehow quantify how to define a premier program.

P.S. I hope Gene Chizik stays at ISU for as long as it takes to bring us a conference championship and a BCS bowl! Hey, if Wake Forest can do it, ISU can always dream!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isu_bub View Post
    Thats the key point. We need to be patient. People aren't being patient with GMac right now and they should for him as well.
    Absolutely agree with this post, however, we are seeing the backlash of all of the drama that surrounded the football program this Fall.

Lot of folks seem to think that the reason there was a change was because there were "unreasonable" expectations. And I see a lot of posts on this site now saying how we "expect" great things from the new coaches, even though we didn't have the right to expect the football program to really be competitive after 12 years.

So it is open season on Iowa State coaches on this board. And if 11-12 years from now, we see Greg McDermott, Cael Sanderson, or Gene Chizik show that they cannot do the job, I will be there agreeing with them. However, since they have all just started, I would like to see whether or not they can actually coach, let alone succeed, before I make my mind up.

Jeffrey A Crawford