Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Iowa State vs. Iowa...who's better?

Interested in you wrestling heads take on our instate rivalry. How will the good guys do this season. (and I'm refering to Iowa State)

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56

Re: Iowa State vs. Iowa...who's better?

It's really going to be a toss-up for the dual meet. I think Iowa still has the edge in tournament wrestling just because of their ability to get bonus points in wrestlebacks that ISU hasn't shown yet.

The one big wildcard that I see is how does Beatty handle the jump in weight classes. From what I have seen he definately looks the part, but there is a style difference when you move weights that may give him problems.

We've got couple of young guys that will see action throughout the year and if they can step up and push the other guys that'll really help us.

My prediction: ISU wins that dual Iowa wins the title. Sorry but I just don't see a national title yet.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Dual meet is a toss-up, especially at this point in the season. We should get a top 3 finish in NCAA's at end of season as well.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    It's really going to be a toss-up for the dual meet. I think Iowa still has the edge in tournament wrestling just because of their ability to get bonus points in wrestlebacks that ISU hasn't shown yet.

The one big wildcard that I see is how does Beatty handle the jump in weight classes. From what I have seen he definately looks the part, but there is a style difference when you move weights that may give him problems.

We've got couple of young guys that will see action throughout the year and if they can step up and push the other guys that'll really help us.

My prediction: ISU wins that dual Iowa wins the title. Sorry but I just don't see a national title yet.
    I agree with everything. We probably have the better dual team, but Iowa has a better tournament team (at least until we prove otherwise).

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 434
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Interested in you wrestling heads take on our instate rivalry. How will the good guys do this season. (and I'm refering to Iowa State)
    I think the Hawks deserve to be the favorite going into the year, but I have a feeling that this may be the Clones year. I am not an expert but have followed the sport for a number of years. I agree with what others have said about Iowa's ability to score bonus points. I feel that Varner is ready to take the next step as is Reader.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Hawks deserve the favorite role, defending champion with points returning, change in coaching staff.
    ISU should be a very serious challenger for the title, due in part for the same reasons. As mentioned earlier - they need bonus points, something not garnered very often last year. Bonus points and solid wrestling by everyone will obtain the title.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

I think Iowa's better. They have a more aggressive style and our guys are working towards that as a team.

Until we are able to get bonus points and be aggressive on our feet at the lower weight classes, we will be behind the Hawks.

That said, there's a lot of wrestling to be done and I think we do have a talent to win it all. We just have to work harder than Iowa to get to their level and overpass them. I surely hope it does happen!

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 329
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I agree that Iowa deserves the Top Spot, until someone knocks them off.

I think ISU has a great shot at beating Iowa and also winning a National Title.

I think 133 will be key:
    Iowa'a Slaton is Ranked #1, but ISU's Fanthorpe (#5) is more than capable of beating him and being a Nat Champ. ISU needs that to happen.

The Tournament will come down to: Who can wrestle to their potential. I Like our chances with Reader, Zambriskie, Sanderson, Gallick, Fanthorpe, and Varner.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Beatty's at the same weight he was last year - 197. He has beefed up but...? They also have ?? at 157/165 and at Heavy. ISU on the other hand lost Bertilino and basically replaced him with Ward, everywhere else we're more experienced and ready to go. Let's not forget last year was also a year many of these guys transitioned up a weight class. Also - agressiveness is great but let the Hawks wrestle wild-eyed like Brands, I'll take Cael and his style any day! We win both!

Rookie
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swooper View Post
    Beatty's at the same weight he was last year - 197. He has beefed up but...? They also have ?? at 157/165 and at Heavy. ISU on the other hand lost Bertilino and basically replaced him with Ward, everywhere else we're more experienced and ready to go. Let's not forget last year was also a year many of these guys transitioned up a weight class. Also - agressiveness is great but let the Hawks wrestle wild-eyed like Brands, I'll take Cael and his style any day! We win both!
    I haven't seen ISU wrestle yet, but I think one of Cael's main goals is to push the action and attack. Something ours guys didn't do before against Iowa. When Cael wrestled, he was always moving and constantly attacking from every angle.... of coarse he made it look easy. Just listening to some of the interviews gives a clue that they plan to be more aggressive.

Loyal Sons for ever True

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

If ISU can score bonus points this year, this will be very close. I would not be shocked at all to see ISU win the dual meet. I want to see what Iowa is going to do at 57,33, 41. Morningstar at 65, well, TBD. Iowa has some questions...now, its nice having a question at 33 when the guy returning was runner up, but it sounds like Dennis could beat out Slaton. Same with Tsirtsis and Leclere at 41, Leclere went to nationals last year and he will likely get beaten out.

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    If ISU can score bonus points this year, this will be very close. I would not be shocked at all to see ISU win the dual meet. I want to see what Iowa is going to do at 57,33, 41. Morningstar at 65, well, TBD. Iowa has some questions...now, its nice having a question at 33 when the guy returning was runner up, but it sounds like Dennis could beat out Slaton. Same with Tsirtsis and Leclere at 41, Leclere went to nationals last year and he will likely get beaten out.
    Right now it looks like Ballweg, Dennis, and Tsirtsis.
    Kinda funny about Slaton....#1 in the country and #2 in the wrestling room!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Since the meet will be at Carver and there will be thousands of crazed bumble bees in the seats, you have to give the advantage to Iowa. I don't think Iowa State will be able to win even if they split the matches 5 and 5 , Iowa carries too many potential bonus points.

After seeing ISU beat Utah Valley, afterwards I would have said we'd be lucky to win 4 matches (Sanderson, Reader, Varner and Zabriskie) with the potential of ONLY winning 2 matches. Since the Harold Nichols Open I believe the team picked it up from their first meet and can achieve 4-5 match wins.

Key wins in order for ISU to win will need to come from Fanthorpe and Gallick. and no huge bonus points given up at 125, 149 "yeah right", 174 & 184. Iowa has the potential of picking up 16-20+ points just from these four wts and ISU could win the 6 other matches by decision and still lose the meet by 2 pts.

Brands will have the Iowa wrestlers and fans frothing at the mouth like mad dogs before this meet even gets started. The edge clearly goes to Hawkeyes in the dual and depending on progress and injury, Iowa still has more depth for replacement thru the season and onto tournament time. I hope I'm wrong, GO STATE!

Last edited by james; 11-18-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    Like I told you last year . . "real" fans of college wrestling had better start hoping that someone other than Iowa, Okie State, Minneeesoota can win the title . . wrestling is on life support right now.

Gable and company arrived at the party a little too late to save it. He was too busy winning all those uncontested championships. LOL

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Madclone1 View Post
    Like I told you last year . . "real" fans of college wrestling had better start hoping that someone other than Iowa, Okie State, Minneeesoota can win the title . . wrestling is on life support right now.

Gable and company arrived at the party a little too late to save it. He was too busy winning all those uncontested championships. LOL

I understand the point about Gable, but I think it's fine with Iowa, MN, Okie State and us being in the convo.

Most Wrestling fans ARE in Iowa and Minnesota anyways...There are good programs that struggle to get 1,000 people at their meets....

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...