Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

ISUFan22ís College Playoff system

ISUFan22’s College Playoff system

Notes:

- Shorten the season by one game
    - Everyone begins the season on the same weekend, each team gets only one bye week
    - All conferences must have a title game, scheduled for the same week
    - Every conference winner is automatically in
    - 3 at-large teams get in determined by current/similar-to-current BCS rules
    - All teams are seeded based on BCS rules, voting and/or records.
    - Top 2 seeded teams receive a bye.
    - Other bowls would exist, but there damn well would not be 32 of them.

Teams in Proposed Playoff for 2006

Big 10: Ohio State
    SEC: Florida
    ACC: Wake Forest
    Big 12: Oklahoma
    Big East: Louisville
    Pac-10: USC
    WAC: Boise State
    CUSA: Houston
    MAC: Central Michigan
    Mountain West: BYU
    Sun Belt: Troy
    At-Large: Michigan
    At-Large: Notre Dame
    At-Large: LSU

Bye

Ohio State
    Florida

Proposed 2006 Bracket

BYU
    Houston (winner to play Ohio State)

Notre Dame
    Boise State

Wake Forest
    Oklahoma

USC
    Michigan

LSU
    Louisville

Central Michigan
    Troy (winner to play Florida)

Proposed 2006 Schedule

Round 1 – Dec. 9th
    Round 2 – Dec. 16th
    Round 3 – Dec. 23
    Round 4 – Jan 6th

Of course, that propose bracket is very hypothetical, as I did not go through any sort of real seeding process. I just guesstemated where teams should fall just to get a format established.

For the teams that lose in the early rounds getting a bowl game - good question. Since everyone else is playing in their own bowl game - my thought is the playoffs are single elimination (of course) and once you lose, you're done for the season.

However, it would not be hard to implement some sort of bowl game for all the teams that failed to reach the title game, matching them up based on when the lost and having them play someone new. I could get on board with that too - being the bowl games are just as much for the fans getting to travel south as they are for the teams.

This system could easily be tweaked by adding 2 more at-large teams and eliminating the byes for Ohio State and Florida. Therefore adding 2 more teams and eliminating the "who gets a bye" controversy.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 12-04-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: ISUFan22ís College Playoff system

good system except for who determines the two teams that get byes? That is going to lead to controversy also, say there are a lot of teams that are close to even, how do you say you determine who gets bye?

Rookie
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thats great and everything, but rich get richer. Another month of TV exposure for the big time programs. I know everyone hates the number of bowl games, but its more money for the entire conference and it has helped to create parity. A playoff system also takes so much class time away from the athletes who already are missing class. It would take the student out of the STUDENT-athlete. I wouldn't mind it, but its only good for the fans.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

Easy, the top two teams the BCS.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

So does this system now eliminate bowls? What about all the other teams who had successful seasons but were not a member of the elite class? If there are still going to be bowl games then what about the teams that lose out in the playoff's? Is their season over or do they then get to play in a bowl game on top of their playoff games?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get puzzle pieced together in my head.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't buy into the "missing class" thing, not for a second. All other levels of college football can make their way through a playoff system without falling apart scholastically - why can't the big boys?

The bye stuff will have to be determined by the current BCS rankings. Sure, there will be controversy there - just as there is controversy in the MBB tourney for who gets the #1 spots. But after the initial seeds come out, you don't here of it anymore. Once you're in, you're in - and that's all that really matters.

The rest - is up to the teams.

Other bowls would still exist similar to what takes place today - just not as many of them.

For the teams that lose in the early round getting a bowl game - good question. Since everyone else is playing in their own bowl game - my thought is the playoffs are single elimination (of course) and once you lose, you're done for the season.

However, it would not be hard to implement some sort of bowl game for all the teams that failed to reach the title game, matching them up based on when the lost and having them play someone new. I could get on board with that too - being the bowl games are just as much for the fans getting to travel south as they are for the teams.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 12-04-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

No of these conferences need automatic bids. That is total crap to let BYU, CMU, and Troy in over teams like Califonia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Auburn, Nebraska, Wisconson, Texas, and Rutgers.

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

hmmm, an idea to decide a champion ON the field...you're crazy

what's wrong with computers and pollsters telling us who should play for the championship? oh wait...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acrozier22 View Post

No of these conferences need automatic bids. That is total crap to let BYU, CMU, and Troy in over teams like Califonia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Auburn, Nebraska, Wisconson, Texas, and Rutgers.
    Crap or not, they won their conference and deserve to be rewarded for it.

If you do a wholesale top x teams in the play-offs - you lose a little bit of what's great about college football - that each and every week is do-or-die.

With this system, you still get that. Troy & CMU don't have a great record - yet they won their conference. Like the MBB tourney - these teams get rewarded for such.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

Interesting concept. I'm sure there are a thousand different takes on how a playoff system would work.

But in my opinion they all result in too many games.

It would also be difficult to tell smaller teams and bowls that they no longer exist. Schools like the money and recognition of the bowl system. I agree there are too many bowls but now it is status quo. It would be hard to reduce that number now.

I don't recall who, but some broadcaster this weekend made a good point about bowl games being an event. With a playoff system, he pointed out that it would just be a game at some location and then off to the next location. There isn't time to spend at the city and make it a total event weekend like they do with the bowl system

As much as I dislike the BCS, I think the playoff system just might be worse.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Where would these playoff games be played at?

One option is home field advantage for the higher seeded team. But then what do you do with all the higher tier bowl games?

Another option is to hold the playoff games at the current BCS bowl sites. Although this is one way to keep the high tier bowls in a playoff system, I always wondered how the traveling logistics would work out for fans and teams. Imagine one weekend traveling to Miami, the next to new Orleans and finally to Pasadena. That would get tough on both the fans and the team.

What other ways could you do it? Ideas?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As I added to the original post, you'll still have the bowl games and if you allowed the teams in the playoffs that don't reach the title game to play in a bowl game....

You still get a playoff while at the same time getting a bowl game for every team.

Locations could be either way - higher seed at home or at neutral fields. I see the benefits to both sides of that one.

Legend
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 910
    Given: 189

I like it, but why not go with 5 at large teams so its a field of 16 and there are no byes during the playoffs. Also, take away that rule that only 2 teams from each conference can go, that way you would have Michigan, Wisconsin, Auburn, Notre Dame, and Arkansas all getting playoff bids.

I also dont think you would have to get rid of Bowl games, you would just have to get rid of some of the "non-traditional" bowl game (i.e. the Papajohns.com bowl).

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think we need to find a way to incorporate the bowl system into a playoff and I think we need to do away with championship games, the best team in the conference goes, the football championship is much better than basketball, basketball has to be done away with! I think bowls should remain for the other teams that aren't in the playoffs and that the championship game would be played in glendale this year, the two semi-finals would be in Miami and Pasadena, and the quarterfinals would be played in Tempe, New Orleans, Dallas, and Tampa and the other six would be played on campus

Big Shawn, Super Clone!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Why does Notre Dame get in above Auburn? They're ahead of them in the final BCS poll.....

That's the problem I have with people (not you in particular) screaming about a playoff in favor of the BCS. How do you decide the teams?

When you have two undefeateds, it's simple and nobody really complains. But how do you decide when you get to a number of 1 loss and moreso when you have a whole slew of 2 loss teams?

FWIW, I think you're on to something with conf champsionship being an automatic. How many independents are left besides the Irish?

And there's no reason to get rid of the bowls. You'd just "tier" them, not unlike the big 4 BCS bowls right now, but involve a few more. If you lose in week 1 of the playoffs, you go to tier 4 bowls, quarterfinals losers go to tier 3, semis to tier 2. And the top bowls would trade off on priority, even which tier, much like they do currently.

Maybe you don't have a sponsor for the championship game (it'll pay for itself, I'd think). Just have the NCAA national championship game that everybody can get their name on ever year, through the tv package.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 12-04-2006 at 01:39 PM.