Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: UT@KU

  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 59,057, Level: 75
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,460
    Points
    59,057
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 13

    UT@KU

    Not much of a surprise here. UT wins 35-7 on the road. KU had the ball in UT's territory down 21-7 in the third, but couldn't score and UT reeled off two quick TDs. KU at 6-5 (3-4) now with Mizzou (@ Arrowhead) left to play.

    Check out the highlights on ESPN.com or somewhere to see a hell of a catch by KU WR Dezmon Briscoe. KU will likely have the best returning duo of receivers in the conference next season with Briscoe and Meier returning. Reesing could possibly the best returning QB in the conference with Robinson, Bradford, and McCoy all draft-eligible.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 180,434, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,894
    Points
    180,434
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 728

    Re: UT@KU

    Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    Check out the highlights on ESPN.com or somewhere to see a hell of a catch by KU WR Dezmon Briscoe. KU will likely have the best returning duo of receivers in the conference next season with Briscoe and Meier returning. Reesing could possibly the best returning QB in the conference with Robinson, Bradford, and McCoy all draft-eligible.
    So, the fact that they graduate all three guard-center-guard offensive linemen, both defensive ends, and all three linebackers is a good thing?



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,532, Level: 63
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,679
    Points
    42,532
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 14

    Re: UT@KU

    Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    Reesing could possibly the best returning QB in the conference with Robinson, Bradford, and McCoy all draft-eligible.
    Teams are learning that the key to controlling Reesing is to force him to operate in the pocket. He is more prone to making mistakes when his vision is obstructed. Not allowing him to get outside limits his ability to buy time needed for long pass plays and also restricts his running threat. At best, I see him being middle of the pack next year.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 59,057, Level: 75
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,460
    Points
    59,057
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 13

    Re: UT@KU

    Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    So, the fact that they graduate all three guard-center-guard offensive linemen, both defensive ends, and all three linebackers is a good thing?
    I'm not really worried about the loss of those interior linemen. There are freshmen and sophomores who have been getting serious playing time at those spots already, and they are the three easiest positions to replace on an offense.

    The loss of the DEs will hurt against the run, but they don't even play any more on 2nd or 3rd and 8 or more. Like the interior offensive line, they can be replaced.

    The loss of the linebackers will surely hurt, though, especially against the run. Mortenson and Rivera would be great linebackers in the Big 10. They just play in the wrong league, because they are a little slow to be defending all the speed in the Big 12. The loss of James Holt, the weakside linebacker, will hurt more than anyone, I believe, and I don't see anyone on KU's rotser or on the recruiting list who can replace him effectively right now.

    On paper, KU should be better next year. The schedule sets up nicely to go 6-0 before playing a stretch of OU, @TT, @KSU, NU, @UT, MU (in KC). So KU is probably looking 7-5 next year (+ or - one win either way).

    After next year, KU does lose some real players, but this also coincides with getting Baylor, A&M, and OSU back on the South rotation. After '09, KU will lose Reesing, Meier, and basically every running back on the roster, and maybe Briscoe, from the offense, and Darrell Stuckey (the best player on the defense) among others.

    The Orange Bowl and the new facilities have definitely helped with recruiting. I would expect to see some juco guys come in to try to fill the losses you mentioned, especially at LB.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 38,489, Level: 60
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,036
    Points
    38,489
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

    Re: UT@KU

    Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    Not much of a surprise here. UT wins 35-7 on the road. KU had the ball in UT's territory down 21-7 in the third, but couldn't score and UT reeled off two quick TDs. KU at 6-5 (3-4) now with Mizzou (@ Arrowhead) left to play.

    Check out the highlights on ESPN.com or somewhere to see a hell of a catch by KU WR Dezmon Briscoe. KU will likely have the best returning duo of receivers in the conference next season with Briscoe and Meier returning. Reesing could possibly the best returning QB in the conference with Robinson, Bradford, and McCoy all draft-eligible.
    Why not just post all this on the KU board?



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 59,057, Level: 75
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,460
    Points
    59,057
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 13

    Re: UT@KU

    Quote Originally Posted by Madclone1 View Post
    Why not just post all this on the KU board?
    Why do you have a Big XII board on this message board if you don't want to talk about KU vs. Texas? You didn't have to read it or post on it.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 119,267, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,644
    Points
    119,267
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

    Re: UT@KU

    Said it before, I'll say it again tonight.

    Welcome back to Earth, KU. Just wish we could have held on against them earlier in the season to starting bringing them back down sooner.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 22,441, Level: 45
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    EggMcClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,374
    Points
    22,441
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UT@KU

    They really were pretty good last year but this team is a shell of that one. Their defense is pretty brutal.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 119,267, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,644
    Points
    119,267
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

    Re: UT@KU

    Quote Originally Posted by EggMcClone View Post
    They really were pretty good last year but this team is a shell of that one. Their defense is pretty brutal.
    They had a running game last year with Jon Cornish.

    Jon Cornish is no longer there. They have no running game this year.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 59,057, Level: 75
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,460
    Points
    59,057
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 13

    Re: UT@KU

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    They had a running game last year with Jon Cornish.

    Jon Cornish is no longer there. They have no running game this year.
    Cornish wasn't on last years team.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 22,441, Level: 45
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    EggMcClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,374
    Points
    22,441
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UT@KU

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    They had a running game last year with Jon Cornish.

    Jon Cornish is no longer there. They have no running game this year.
    You're thinking of McAnderson. The run game has been spotty but they can't stop anybody.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 119,267, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,644
    Points
    119,267
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

    Re: UT@KU

    Quote Originally Posted by EggMcClone View Post
    You're thinking of McAnderson. The run game has been spotty but they can't stop anybody.
    Yeah, that guy.

    I'm kind of surprised that Texas didn't score more, considering they have computers and others to impress.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 59,057, Level: 75
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,460
    Points
    59,057
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 13

    Re: UT@KU

    You guys are right about the defense. It hasn't been good, which is partly due to the tougher schedule, partly due to losing the D-coordinator, and partly due to the loss of McClinton and Talib.

    I and most KU fans definitely underestimated the impact of the second and third of those factors.

    It's going to be hard to compete at KU long-term. The best recruits KU can hope for have to pass all the Texas and Oklahoma schools up. Although the new facilities are top-notch, the stadium is, quite honestly, a joke of a BCS-school stadium, as evidenced by the track that still encircles the field. Also, as much as I've tried to defend it in the past, the fan support isn't great, and is very bandwagon-ish. I bet there was less people in Memorial in the second half today than in JT. KU was only down 14 at half and a lot of people left and never re-appeared.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 119,267, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,644
    Points
    119,267
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 110

    Re: UT@KU

    Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    Also, as much as I've tried to defend it in the past, the fan support isn't great, and is very bandwagon-ish. I bet there was less people in Memorial in the second half today than in JT. KU was only down 14 at half and a lot of people left and never re-appeared.
    I noticed this as well today and thought it was odd, considering they still have a winning record.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 38,489, Level: 60
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,036
    Points
    38,489
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

    Re: UT@KU

    Quote Originally Posted by kucyclone View Post
    Why do you have a Big XII board on this message board if you don't want to talk about KU vs. Texas? You didn't have to read it or post on it.
    Because I find it irritating a ku fan never seems to post anything about Iowa State . . . . change you moniker.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM