Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 563
    Given: 356

Player-by-Player Assessment of the Drake game

I’ve listed these in order of what I felt was the best to worst performance.

Wesley Johnson – Yet another double-double for this kid, he’s very exciting to watch and gave us some good offense. He had another pair of blocked shots on defense yet still needs to improve there. He was Walter’s player of the game and I agree. Oh, and how about that dunk early in the game? I thought he left the floor way too early – guess not. Amazing, he could easily give Clark a run for his money in a slam dunk contest. Must do much better defending the hoop though.

Rahshon Clark – Nice play from Clark. Still wating for that break-out game from him, yet his play has been steady all year – so I can’t get on him for that. A rebound shy of yet another double-double for Clark. 3/7 for 3-pointers too. I’d just like to see more leadership from him.

Dodie Dunson – What an effort from Dodie. 16 points and 4/5 from 3-point land. Zero turnovers was the biggest stat in my opinion. He’s not flashy, yet is very smart with the basketball. And how about him driving the lane a couple times? Nifty stuff – some other players should take note of that, as should Dodie. I hope yesterday was a sign of things to come from him. And that three point shot at the end, I know it was still in your hand when the buzzer when off, but you didn’t know that. Helluva shot, maybe the best of your young career. Too bad it didn’t count.

Cory McIntosh – 10 points, 4 assists and just 2 turnovers. Now that’s the type of game we expect from Cory. Again, not flashy but solid play. Still needs to do a lot better on defense though.

Mike Taylor – I am soon going to be labeled a “Taylor hater”, yet in fact I love the kid – just wish he’d play smarter basketball. Yes, he got 12 points, 5 assists and 3 rebounds. Yet he was also 1/3 behind the free-throw line and had 8 turnovers. Eight! I know he was somewhat out of position playing the 1 instead of the 2 and I’d understand if the press caused most of those turnovers. But it didn’t. I felt he handled the press well for the most part, but made poor decisions on the offensive end. In the first half, too many times he took wacky shots with plenty of time left. And when he made passes in the 2nd have, too many times they were telegraphed and weak. Yesterday was the pinnacle of what I was talking about after the MN game. We’re not going to get 30 from Mike every game and when we don’t, he can’t turn the ball over 8 times. You’re better than that Mike. The fans know it, your coach knows it and so do you.

Jessan Gray – After a nifty performance vs. Drake, Jessan came out yesterday and had a rough game. Just 5 points, 4 rebounds combined with 3 turnovers. It wasn’t a bad game on offense, yet his play inside on defense hurt us and led to far too many easy baskets. The guards did a poor job of slowing them down the perimeter while Jessan, Jiri and Wesley did little to help inside.

Jiri Hubalek – In the post-game, your coach took a shot across your bow Jiri. I hope you got that message, otherwise you’ll be getting to know the bench all too well, while hurting your team in the process. When the coach only has the confidence to play one center and even that guy only gets 12 minutes – when the team we’re playing is killing us with easy baskets inside – you know something is very wrong. The only good thing I can say about Jiri is he was 3/5 from the field.

Brock Jacobson – You played one minute. I’m not sure why, but you did. Thanks?

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

Re: Player-by-Player Assessment of the Drake game

I see Hubalek as the one guy not buying in right now. I saw some attitude from him yesterday...it will be interesting to see what develops there.

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,506
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JJ4ISU View Post
    I see Hubalek as the one guy not buying in right now. I saw some attitude from him yesterday...it will be interesting to see what develops there.
    He walks around hanging his head and complaining to refs.

We really have NO inside game. I'm thinking we should give Streff a shot down low to bang on offense. He is 250+. At least he has some size. Everyone else looks like a wing down low including Hubalek. Unless Streff has bailed for his shot the Real World reality show. I read he was a finalist.

My words of advice for this season: Enjoy the wins but don't expect them.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I will give Drake credit. They executed their game plan very well. Forced us into a scoring fest and slowed/confused us with their press and zone defenses.

I've always liked Tom Davis and I'd be delighted to see him lead that team into the NCAA tourney. I have no idea if they're good enough, but I hope they can get it done.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

In my opinion, Dunson should start. I think he's earned that with this game and I think he's a better defender than McIntosh. The only thing I could see stopping that at this point is the need at PG, and I don't know if Dodie is the kind of guy you want handling the ball full time.

I was worried about Hubalek before he came back, and now I'm even more worried about him. After the last game I questioned if he was coachable, and it is really starting to look like he is. What does he want out of the staff, and why shouldn't the staff expect maximum effort out of him? I understand his shooting is a supposed strength, but I doubt that's all McD wants from him on the floor. Because right now, tha't's all he's giving.

I love Taylor. I do. But the guy is still on pace for around 170 turnovers this season. That is freaking god awful. Everybody talks about Tinsley's struggles his first year with TO's... well he had 156 in 37 games. That's 4.21 per game. Taylor is still averaging a robust 6 per game. That has got to be cleaned up or we're going to struggle mightily this year. We cannot afford to give away possessions when we struggle scoring already.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I wonder if that 33 point show he put on at Minnesota has gotten to Taylor's head. He had in my opinion, his best all-around game directly following the MN game, vs. Lake Superior State.

22 points, 6/9 from 3-point land, 7 assists, 3 steals and just 2 turnovers.

Since then, he's played poor. Turnovers and poor shots have been the signature of his play. And in both of those games, we've lost.

For now, this team will live and die by Taylor's play on offense.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 417
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 97

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I wonder if that 33 point show he put on at Minnesota has gotten to Taylor's head.
    Oh, I'm sure it did. He's 20 after all. I once made a 3 in a game against DMACC and was high as a kite for 2 weeks. Hell, I still brag about it today.

All of these guys are in a tough situation. It's going to be up and down all year. We'll some crazy things this year.

Fanatic #25

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As far as Jiri, he has always ******* about everything on the court, held his head and gets very emotional. GMAC commented on his call in show tonight that certain players were taking criticism too seriously and hanging themselves on things and that he had a long talk with those individuals today. I would bet my next paycheck that Jiri was the first one talked to. I watched him all summer in the capital city league and he reminded me of a 5 year old kid. And many people watching the games quickly turned on Jiri and he was even heckled there.

“Also, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I don’t want to leave any of that behind.” - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Walk On
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

BigBake, you played against DMACC, where did you play if you don't mind my asking? Just curious.

For I for S forever!

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think Taylor has a lot of potential, and has to play to learn from his mistakes, but you have to know when things aren't going your way and stop trying to take the team on your back. I know McDermott wants him to learn, but sometimes when someone's havin a bad game, I think you gotta pull him for a while.

While I think Taylor is very promising for the future, one stat sticks out in my mind. He has 48 turnovers to 256 minutes played. The rest of our team combined has 64 turnovers to 1,344 minutes played. Now I know that Taylor handling the ball a lot affects that stat, but I think Dodie Dunson needs to be more involved in the ball handling duties, as he has 2 turnovers to 151 minutes played and an incredible 4.5 assist/turnover ratio (he's one of three players with an assist/turnover ratio better than 1.0). Just my thoughts.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 664
    Given: 386

Well I just got back from vacation and didn't get to see any of the game. I just saw that we lost on the ESPN ticker Sunday afternoon.

My question: What happened?

Were we down the whole game? Did we lose a lead? What happened at the end? Did Dunson hit a 3 but it was after the clock expired?

I read we were down by a little towards the end but came back. Also, we score 78 points...and lose??? Sounds like another Mike Taylor turnover show.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 849
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 69

"We really have NO inside game. I'm thinking we should give Streff a shot down low to bang on offense. He is 250+. At least he has some size. Everyone else looks like a wing down low including Hubalek. Unless Streff has bailed for his shot the Real World reality show. I read he was a finalist."

im telling ya we shoudlve kept agnew around

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,154
    Given: 2,015

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Well I just got back from vacation and didn't get to see any of the game. I just saw that we lost on the ESPN ticker Sunday afternoon.

My question: What happened?

Were we down the whole game? Did we lose a lead? What happened at the end? Did Dunson hit a 3 but it was after the clock expired?

I read we were down by a little towards the end but came back. Also, we score 78 points...and lose??? Sounds like another Mike Taylor turnover show.
    We were down pretty much the whole game, 12 with 7 minutes left, 10 with 5 minutes left.

Played horrible defense most of the game, except the last 5 minutes. Dunson played well, hit a layup to tie the game with 14 seconds left or so. Then we let Drake get right to the hoop (I think Cory Mac was burned) for a layup to go up two with 4.4, then Dunson hit the three just after time expired.

Marsden and Corey Johnson didn't play because they were sick/bad matchups (I've heard both). Hubalek was late to the morning meeting, didn't start and only played 12 minutes, so it was basically a 6 man team.

We handled the press fairly well, but turned over the ball alot on offense.

Basically it was one of those days where it seemed like everything went wrong.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 2

If I were Gmac, I would tell Hubalek to plant himself on the low block and not even think about shooting threes until he made some twos and got to the line a couple of times. I know he's European and plays that style game, but if you're 6-10 on a team that needs a big guy, at least pretend you're not a 5-10 point guard that can only shoot threes.