Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Not Enough Minority Coaches Being Hired

According to the Black Coaches and Administrators (BCA), not enough minority coaches are being hired.

ESPN - Black Coaches and Administrators: Not enough black coaches hired in football

I think this will come with time. Before too long, we will see plenty of minorities being hired.

I think this is a good point:

"The NCAA does not hire coaches. The athletic directors are responsible for hiring and thus responsible for the hiring process and results," said Charlotte Westerhaus, NCAA vice president of diversity and inclusion.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 840
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Re: Not Enough Minority Coaches Being Hired

Given the importance of winning these days I find it hard to believe that a AD and president would not hire the most qualified coach because he is not white.

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 465

Why aren't there any Somonian HCs?

Why aren't there any Native American HCs?

Why aren't there any Asian HCs?

I sure hope the BCA are fighting for those minorities too. Or are they racist by only advocating one "race"?

-keep.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 294

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    Why aren't there any Somonian HCs?

Why aren't there any Native American HCs?

Why aren't there any Asian HCs?

I sure hope the BCA are fighting for those minorities too. Or are they racist by only advocating one "race"?

-keep.
    Didn't Norm Chow state he felt that he had no shot due to his Asian-American ethnicity? I thought I read that he had a goal of becoming the first Asian-American head coach. Then Vince Young destroyed that dream...

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,472
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 36

Blah, blah, blah...

"Explode and tear this whole town apart
    Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart
    Find somebody itching for something to start"

"The Promised Land" Bruce Springsteen

Pro
    Thumbs Up

One thing to keep in mind is that many people that have negative racial views have them in a more subtle than obvious way.

Look at the Wayne Morgan era at ISU: according to a lot of people I've talked with the team was "full of thugs", "had a lazy coach", "had no discipline", and "the players are impossible to coach".....

Well, it turns out guys like Blalock, Stinson, etc from those eras were actually nice guys and Stinson is a very smart basketball player and really coachable. They weren't thugs, or lazy, or anything like that. They just didn't fit the image of what some ISU fans wanted to see.

I'm not accusing ISU of anything and I'm not accusing anyone on this board about anything. It's just when I talk to the casual ISU basketball fan about the Wayne Morgan days those are the types of comments I generally hear, and I'm just not 100% certain if those comments are fair.

Instead I think some fans were just uncomfortable with the style of play, the image of the coaching staff, and the players on the team.

Generally boosters and fans want to see coaches that fit a profile they are comfortable with. I think it's part of the reason why Mike Davis left Indiana, and why Ty Willingham was forced out of Norte Dame.

I'm not saying anyone is a blatant racist as far as ADs go, but during the interview process if they're white, they generally are going to be comfortable interviewing a white person. Not saying that's right, but it's the way it is and it's hard for minorities to overcome this as I often feel like they aren't given a fair shakedown...

It will be interesting to see what happens, and I hope a coach gets the job because they are the better candidate and not for any other reason..

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Legend
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 252

Do they say what the percentage of black coaches compared to the percentage of the population in America is at this point?

Also there are not enough white president elects of the United States right now either. It at 100% if you have not checked lately. That is really unfair to us white guys.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 332

Ask them who the president is? It appears a lot of this country is not racist and they need to worry about other things.

@RandomGeoFacts

Swarm & Punish
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that many people that have negative racial views have them in a more subtle than obvious way.

Look at the Wayne Morgan era at ISU: according to a lot of people I've talked with the team was "full of thugs", "had a lazy coach", "had no discipline", and "the players are impossible to coach".....

Well, it turns out guys like Blalock, Stinson, etc from those eras were actually nice guys and Stinson is a very smart basketball player and really coachable. They weren't thugs, or lazy, or anything like that. They just didn't fit the image of what some ISU fans wanted to see.

I'm not accusing ISU of anything and I'm not accusing anyone on this board about anything. It's just when I talk to the casual ISU basketball fan about the Wayne Morgan days those are the types of comments I generally hear, and I'm just not 100% certain if those comments are fair.

Instead I think some fans were just uncomfortable with the style of play, the image of the coaching staff, and the players on the team.

Generally boosters and fans want to see coaches that fit a profile they are comfortable with. I think it's part of the reason why Mike Davis left Indiana, and why Ty Willingham was forced out of Norte Dame.

I'm not saying anyone is a blatant racist as far as ADs go, but during the interview process if they're white, they generally are going to be comfortable interviewing a white person. Not saying that's right, but it's the way it is and it's hard for minorities to overcome this as I often feel like they aren't given a fair shakedown...

It will be interesting to see what happens, and I hope a coach gets the job because they are the better candidate and not for any other reason..
    bold part: You lost me there...

but its GREAT to have another post/thread on the WM HC job and firing.

-keep.

Swarm & Punish
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post

Are the bold parts "negative racial views have them in a more subtle than obvious way".

I would say YES.

-keep

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    bold part: You lost me there...

but its GREAT to have another post/thread on the WM HC job and firing.

-keep.

Nick Nurse said that Stinson has the highest basketball IQ and one of the most coachable players he has ever had, and he has coached ALOT of players...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 28

I would argue there aren't enough white players in the NBA. More should be signed on teams even if they aren't the best player available. Who cares if they suck, equality is all that matters anyway.

Swarm & Punish
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Nick Nurse said that Stinson has the highest basketball IQ and one of the most coachable players he has ever had, and he has coached ALOT of players...
    everyone grows up, see MTaylor on a different subject (and what is a coach supposed to say about a player to the press?). At ISU, he did his fair share of 'playing' coach.

-keep.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isutrevman View Post
    I would argue there aren't enough white players in the NBA. More should be signed on teams even if they aren't the best player available. Who cares if they suck, equality is all that matters anyway.
    I agree. I don't know what the BCA would say to say to that, but they would either have to agree with you or say something contradictory (or racist).

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isutrevman View Post

You just made the point why there should perhaps be more minority coaches... If there are more minority players, wouldn't you think that they're be more qualified minority coaches as these players careers end?

By the way, this is about college sports. I think the NBA is doing a little bit better of a job employing minority coaches than the NCAA.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...