Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 93

The KU Flop and the Importance of 2009 for ISU

As most of you probably know, KU and ISU swap opponents from the south every two years. One team gets the soft rotation of aTm, OSU, and Baylor while the other gets UT, OU, and TT. (Lucky for them they get one home and one away for OU and UT while be get all or nothing)

I see KU's experience this year and last year as a huge indication for why we need to win next year. A lot of people think we have a 4 or 5 year rebuild here, but with the hard rotation back on the schedule in year 4 and 5, I don't know that we will see much on the field.

The run that KU made last season was proof to many of us that the non-traditional schools in the Big 12 could break through. KU went 12-1 last season with an Orange Bowl win. They did this against the softer south rotation. The only regular season game they played against an opponent that finished the season ranked was a 36-28 loss to Mizzou.

Flash forward to this season with UT, OU, and TT on the schedule. KU was expected by many to once again compete with Mizzou for the north title. They are now 6-4 with upcoming games against UT and Mizzou. Dropping these they will go bowling at 6-6 and with a bowl loss could be looking at a losing season. If ISU could have held on at home, this team could be looking at going from a 12 win BCS bowl season to staying home in one short year.

We need to break through big in 2009. Because if we can't make some noise in 09, it may be 2012 before we have a big opportunity again, and that is a long time to wait when our last bowl game is already several years in the rear view mirror. We may have a much improved team by 2010, but with OU, UT, and TT on the schedule to go with Utah and at Iowa out of conference, a team much much much better than the one we have today could be fortunate to put together a 6 or 7 win season.

Chizik wants to compete with the big south schools, and hopefully someday we will, but I really don't see any way that those games aren't 3 L's in 2010 and 11. Just look at the separation between those schools and KU and Mizzou, who are way beyond where I would hope for us to be in a couple years.

I know rebuilding takes time, and I know Chizik is going to need patience. But I also feel there needs to be a real sense of urgency to do something next year. The team and the fanbase needs some success to help smooth out the bumps we are going to have further down the road. I don't want to say that next year is absolutely do or die, but I do feel that it is pretty darn close!

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Re: The KU Flop and the Importance of 2009 for ISU

I disagree...I think that a hard schedule is fine if you have a team that can play one game at a time. If you minimize the damage that is gained from playing UT, TTU and OU then the rest of the schedule can be very manageable. Why can't we win the north and go 9-3? If a team doesn't believe that the whole season is based on those three games, then it doesn't matter if you have to play the harder teams in the south.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 662
    Given: 551

Schedule always matters. It just does. You can't will that fact away.

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The schedule matters but it is what it is. If we want to be taken seriously, we have to play with the best. Okie State and Texas Tech a few years ago weren't the super-powers of the league and now they are good.

I want to have a program that can compete each year, not just in years where we play the "easier" south teams. I thought that's why we fired Mac and brought in Chizik: to get the program up to another level. I'm willing to wait 4-5 years if that's what it takes to get to that point.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

That rotation sucks. ISU and KU are the only teams that have to deal with that. It's not just the losses to those top South teams that hurt you, but also the injuries during that run that in turn hurts you against the rest of the North. Those 3 teams are so physical that you always seem to lose some starters after playing them. Personally I think Chizik should get 6 years before you can judge him, because when you are KU or ISU it takes a lot of time to rebuild. Mangino is still rebuilding and he's going on his 7th year. This is the first year he can actually use the Orange Bowl and the new facilities to help him recruit. If you're not one of the big boys it takes a long time.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,084
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 337

I agree with you about the 2010-2011 schedules being mighty tough...The magic formula for all north div schools is thus: Win all 4 nonconference games and then win half(4) of the conference games and go on your way to the bowl game....

I'm NOT DUMB enough to say that ISU can't make a bowl game in '10 or '11...but it mite just be a daunting task..improbable? Maybe Impossible?...not hardly, it is possible if Gene has done enough infrastructure work with the fb program!!

"you can't play what you can't recruit"...quoting Earle Bruce

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajsp View Post
    I disagree...I think that a hard schedule is fine if you have a team that can play one game at a time. If you minimize the damage that is gained from playing UT, TTU and OU then the rest of the schedule can be very manageable. Why can't we win the north and go 9-3? If a team doesn't believe that the whole season is based on those three games, then it doesn't matter if you have to play the harder teams in the south.
    I really don't think it will be that easy. A home date with Utah and a road game at Iowa in 2010 are pretty high hurdles to clear on the way to 9-3. And do you think the entire North will just roll over for us? I would expect there will be at least one top 25 program there as well.

Plus, let's say we do go 9-3. That would put us at 5-3 in conference, what are the chances that we get into the title game at 5-3?

Having a good team's season ruined by this schedule isn't unique to KU this season. Just look back at our own history. In 2002 we are 6-1, ranked in the top 10, with a QB getting some early heisman buzz. Enter the south, exit with a 7-7 season and a disaster on some blue turf. The season that followed was even uglier at 2-10.

I maintain that this team has to show something next season or getting through the 2010 and 11 seasons is going to be tough. And it isn't going to do us much good as far as recruiting, donations, or ticket sales are concerned either.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I honestly believe we won't see a winning season until at least 2 years from now but due to the difficult schedule, I do believe it will hurt the chance of Gene Chizik's keeping his job as a head coach at Iowa State. At that point, I could care less, we will have a newly rebuilt stadium and anyone in their right mind would love to have a job here at ISU.

Now, I hope I am wrong and we win big 12 north next year.

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    The schedule matters but it is what it is. If we want to be taken seriously, we have to play with the best. Okie State and Texas Tech a few years ago weren't the super-powers of the league and now they are good.

I want to have a program that can compete each year, not just in years where we play the "easier" south teams. I thought that's why we fired Mac and brought in Chizik: to get the program up to another level. I'm willing to wait 4-5 years if that's what it takes to get to that point.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we can never compete with these teams. I know it is Chiziks goal to do so, and I hope that we can get there. But does anyone here think that we will be ready to do that by 2010? Mizzou was close to having a national title shot last season and was in talks to start this season, and look how well they have faired against OU and UT.

My point would be that we are currently finishing up our 3rd consecutive year of bad football. If we have another bad season next year, our chances of bouncing back in 10 and 11 don't look good. At that point you are in a 6 season slump, 5 of them under Chizik. 5 seems to be the magic number a lot of people throw out there for how long he should have to get it done. I really feel like next year is the year, and if not, we may have to wait until year 6.... if people are patient enough.

I feel like Chizik is the man for the job and I want to see him stay here and succeed here, but I feel like with the way the rebuilding process is going, the rebuilding schedule and the football schedule may prevent him from showing us much before year 6, and I would hate to lose him because the fanbase wasn't willing to wait it out that long.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    We need to break through big in 2009. Because if we can't make some noise in 09, it may be 2012 before we have a big opportunity again, and that is a long time to wait when our last bowl game is already several years in the rear view mirror.
    Hopefully we will have a bowled in end zone by 2012 and we will be able to make allot of noise.

Teams change rapidly. Your talking about Iowa and Utah being good in '10 and at the same time talking about how Kansas went from 6 wins to 12 wins and possibly back down to 6 wins in three years.

Making future prediction based on current situations is never accurate. Let's look at the north in three years. Who is going to be on top? Who knows about Kansas and Kansas State. Missouri and Nebraska will be losing allot of players this year and next year and you can only guess that they will be down. Colorado and Iowa State are probably going to be two of the top teams in the north.

Your making predictions based on three games, when we have to play 6 other games against the same opponents every year. Even if we lose all three games against south teams, we will still have 9 other games to get ourselves into a nice bowl.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Just look at what we return and what all the other teams lose... I honestly see 7-8 wins next year... I also guessed 3-4 for this year...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    Schedule always matters. It just does. You can't will that fact away.
    Because those types of teams not only beat you...they injure all your good players.

Don't forget in 2011 we have UCONN with Utah and Iowa non-conf.

"They'd write things like...Lloyd. See you around....maybe."

--Lloyd Dobler

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    Making future prediction based on current situations is never accurate.
    NO prediction is ever accurate. However, predicting for future based on current trend and the past happenings is always wise.

Last edited by clonomaniac; 11-12-2008 at 12:20 PM.
    WE ARE IOWA STATE

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ajsp View Post
    Schedule matters for sure....thinking we are going to play perfect football and get all the other games as wins is pretty lofty thinking. That perfect scenario might happen once every forty years in my estimation.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 432
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    Just look at what we return and what all the other teams lose... I honestly see 7-8 wins next year... I also guessed 3-4 for this year...
    True...but all those teams aren't going to stop recruiting either.