Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Any Pheasant Hunters out there

I have been out only twice and have not seen a bird in the field YET(Seen 3 along the highway going hunting). Once south of Afton and once over by Mingo. Still some corn in but this is the worst year that I have ever experienced.

I hear Northwest IA is the best. What is everybody else experiencing and what part of the state are you hunting? My buddy in my Avatar has been working his butt off to no avail.

I'll be at the game this Sat and going hunting again Sunday. Hopefully it will dry up a bit so the farmers can get more crops out.

Z

Last edited by zach; 11-11-2008 at 06:43 PM.
    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Any Pheasant Hunters out there

I'm not a pheasant hunter, but I spent four day span in a combine harvesting corn (in NE Iowa) and didn't see a single pheasant and haven't seen one anywhere else for that matter.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I've had as little luck as you but then I didn't get out last weekend. A few friends went last weekend and limited. There is still quite a bit of corn in the fields around here (Storm Lake area) and the birds really haven't gone to the waterways yet.

I walked a great waterway last week and got nothing but then when we were walking back through corn stubble my dog went crazy. I took that to mean the birds are still out in the fields whether combined or not. The cold wet weather should move them into more typical hunting environment

At least that is what I am holding onto

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

I went back home in NW Iowa for opening. We got our limit as a group plus one partridge(27 birds). Sunday was poor due to the wind. The dogs simply couldn't work with it so we quit at noon with six. Went this last Saturday with a friend and we got three. If a quarter of the hens we saw were roosters we would have had our limit by noon.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,897
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 69

The east 1/2 of the state had a horrible winter with ice and then a lot of snow. Follow that with a lot of rain through the end of June and it's not a good recipie for Pheasant surviving and reproducing.

I've only seen 2 or 3 birds all year and I'm out in the country on back roads for work all the time.

Starter
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I have been trying to hunt around Ames and up in NE Iowa, but so far I have just been going on nature walks.

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 961
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 57

I used to have a lot of luck south of Sumner near 190th and Wildwood, but that was 10 years ago...

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

live by sioux city and have had good luck in comparison, but not seen anywhere neer normal counts. i read a month or so ago that the roadside numbers were down about 70% from a year ago in eastern iowa, about 40% in southwest iowa, and about 25% in northwest iowa. i have heard south dakota has been excellent as usual though.

also, the deer population doesn't seem as big as previous years, but i attribute most of that to the large amount of corn still in the fields. i have been bow hunting hard the last few weeks and have yet to see a buck chasing yet. thought for sure the rut would have started by now.

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by timc243 View Post
    I have been trying to hunt around Ames and up in NE Iowa, but so far I have just been going on nature walks.

Well this sounds like my trips this year...LOL LOL As I have gotten older hunting is more about enjoying the time with friends and the fresh air and less about the kill, HOWEVER, it would be nice to see a bird or two, if nothing else for the dogs! Shooting a bird this year will certianly be a bonus for most hunters, except for the ones in NW IA. This last weekends nature walk/hunt, I saw 15-20 deer, 8 jakes and toms and some farm cats! It was nice either way.

Anyone else hunt with a dog or dogs?

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISU BET View Post
    live by sioux city and have had good luck in comparison, but not seen anywhere neer normal counts. i read a month or so ago that the roadside numbers were down about 70% from a year ago in eastern iowa, about 40% in southwest iowa, and about 25% in northwest iowa. i have heard south dakota has been excellent as usual though.

also, the deer population doesn't seem as big as previous years, but i attribute most of that to the large amount of corn still in the fields. i have been bow hunting hard the last few weeks and have yet to see a buck chasing yet. thought for sure the rut would have started by now.
    I saw a lot of does this last weekend, no bucks yet. Rut starts around Dec first or so?

Z

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,085
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

rut usually starts early-mid november and is over by the time shotgun season 1 starts. once every 5 years or so though, there have been a few "late bloomers" that are still trying to find a lucky lady the first weekend in december

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

[quote=zach;716148]I saw a lot of does this last weekend, no bucks yet. Rut starts around Dec first or so?

Not sure the hormones have kicked in yet as I have seen a few scrapes, but very few rubs. I've always believed that weather has more to do with the timing of the rut and until recently we've had such warm weather that I don't think the bucks have gotten the call yet. Should be soon.

As for pheasants, I've been out a couple of times around central Iowa with no luck. We had great luck outside of Sheffield last year, but the reports from the guys combining are bad. Some friends have been out close to Pocahontas and Mallard and shot quite a few. So it sounds like NW Iowa is, indeed, the place to go.

If you really want to work your pointer, go to Winterset Hunt Club. Curt or Dave will take good care of you (for a fee of course).

I hunt with setters. Great hunters and family dogs.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Not sure the hormones have kicked in yet as I have seen a few scrapes, but very few rubs. I've always believed that weather has more to do with the timing of the rut and until recently we've had such warm weather that I don't think the bucks have gotten the call yet. Should be soon.

As for pheasants, I've been out a couple of times around central Iowa with no luck. We had great luck outside of Sheffield last year, but the reports from the guys combining are bad. Some friends have been out close to Pocahontas and Mallard and shot quite a few. So it sounds like NW Iowa is, indeed, the place to go.

If you really want to work your pointer, go to Winterset Hunt Club. Curt or Dave will take good care of you (for a fee of course).

I hunt with setters. Great hunters and family dogs.[/quote]

I bought mine in Adel, 12 or so years ago, at the Adel hunt club(?)...there was a Dave there as well and I heard he went to another club...may be the same Dave? I can't remember his last name. Setters are great family and hunting dogs as well. What kind do you have?

I might have to look up the Winterset Club if things don't improve. What's a bird run these days?

Z

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

I think the birds run $15 or so and, of course, you can shoot both hens and roosters (if it flies, it dies). They also have single memberships and corporate memberships which I have had so I apologize for not knowing the individual bird cost.

I had a Llewelyn that I bought in Bonner Springs, KS. That dog wouldn't quit and had a great nose, but I could not get him to retrieve. Now I have a Red & White Setter and he loves the hunt, and retrieves even into water. Not quite the nose as the Llewelyn, but a better all round dog for family purposes. I bought him from a kennel in South Carolina.

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I went opening weekend up around boji. saw a lot of birds. ended up with 8 on saturday with three guys. we could have had our limit if we would have shot better. we got three more on sunday befoe we caled it a day because of the wind.
    Posted via Mobile Device