Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jiri

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Jiri

Listened to the post-game radio show...Coach McDermott said that Jiri did not start because he was late for the morning shoot around. He also said that it was kind of the way the entire day went for him. "Guys need to learn that are accountable...their minutes on the court will reflect that."

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Re: Jiri

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    Listened to the post-game radio show...Coach McDermott said that Jiri did not start because he was late for the morning shoot around. He also said that it was kind of the way the entire day went for him. "Guys need to learn that are accountable...their minutes on the court will reflect that."
    I was actually relieved that he didn't start. He hasn't been able to contribute significantly and he appears to disrupt the flow in the game. He came in at the 14:13 mark in the first half--that is exactly when the game changed course and Drake took control.

**Not every life is perfect, but every life is precious. Support Rescue.**
    http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/nebraskabostonterrierrescue.html

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by amyk33 View Post
    I was actually relieved that he didn't start. He hasn't been able to contribute significantly and he appears to disrupt the flow in the game. He came in at the 14:13 mark in the first half--that is exactly when the game changed course and Drake took control.
    I was happy about that too. Some guys just never get it, and Jiri might be one of them. For his sake and the basketball team's sake, I hope he starts committing himself to improvement. Otherwise he's riding the pine next year.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Yep...he needs to establish himself on this team or finding playing time next year could be much tougher. I wonder what Coach's thoughts are with the interesting non-use of the bench...

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 66

I think someone needs to buy him a watch that is always an hour late for x-mas

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 107

I think not getting Jiri the ball is a main problem of the offense. He was open quite a bit today and we couldn't get him a shot. The times he did get the ball were usually good offensive possessions for us. That being said, it seems like whenever he's within 5 feet of someone he gets called for a foul. Jiri is not our problem.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by uro cy View Post
    I think someone needs to buy him a watch that is always an hour late for x-mas
    Hour late or early? Do we want him to be on time so he can play? Or late so he gets benched? Tough call.

Since he is one of the few leftover from last year's team, I can understand how he may feel some seniority and ownership of the team, but it's time for him to put his ego on hold and be a role player. If he does that, he may be able to contribute in a positive way. Right now, him merely checking in at the scorer's table causes me anxiety.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by amyk33 View Post
    Hour late or early? Do we want him to be on time so he can play? Or late so he gets benched? Tough call.

Since he is one of the few leftover from last year's team, I can understand how he may feel some seniority and ownership of the team, but it's time for him to put his ego on hold and be a role player. If he does that, he may be able to contribute in a positive way. Right now, him merely checking in at the scorer's table causes me anxiety.
    Amy! Steppin your game up, I love it! You see something you don't like, you put the SMACKDOWN on it. He ****** me off last year, he cost us the game vs. UNI, and he doesn't consider his scholarship a privelege, but a right. Other things I don't like about Jiri are:

him shooting
    him dribbling
    him sitting on the bench and pouting
    when he displays his euro-style big man 3-jacking crap
    he's a second-rate desperation wayne morgan recruit

I'll be happy when one of two things happen: He plays like a man his height should or he sits on the bench.

Last edited by Michael Lastuvka; 12-03-2006 at 06:04 PM.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post
    Amy! Steppin your game up, I love it! You see something you don't like, you put the SMACKDOWN on it. He ****** me off last year, he cost us the game vs. UNI, and he doesn't consider his scholarship a privelege, but a right. Other things I don't like about Jiri are:

him shoots
    him dribbling

I'll be happy when one of two things happen: He plays like a man his height should or he sits on the bench.
    I love my football, but I understand basketball a bit better and can be quite passionate about it.

I agree with your list completely. I assume "plays like a man his height" equals being able to score in the paint? Because that is what he needs to do. Post up. I would also like to see him pass the ball. His shot is not solid enough for me to feel comfortable with him shooting it with each touch.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

It just doesn't appear that he enjoys competing.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,373
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 99

Until we get a player who decides he wants to play down low, post up and box out and rebound, it might be a long season. Another thing that is killing us is bench scoring. They showed the stat during the UNI and Drake game and in both cases, the other team's bench scoring is a WHOLE lot more then ours. Basically comes down to fresh legs on the court more for those teams.

I did see some improvement this game over the UNI game and if Dodie?(or whoever) didn't dribble before he took the jumpshotas time expired, we would have won which didn't even seem a possibility at the half point of the second half when we were down 16

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,487
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    Until we get a player who decides he wants to play down low, post up and box out and rebound, it might be a long season. Another thing that is killing us is bench scoring. They showed the stat during the UNI and Drake game and in both cases, the other team's bench scoring is a WHOLE lot more then ours. Basically comes down to fresh legs on the court more for those teams.

I did see some improvement this game over the UNI game and if Dodie?(or whoever) didn't dribble before he took the jumpshotas time expired, we would have won which didn't even seem a possibility at the half point of the second half when we were down 16

If he doesn't take that dribble he misses the shot. Probably blocked.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

him shooting
    him dribbling

It's not Jiri's fault that he isn't a banger. ISU should have recruited someone in Homan's mold before Jared left. This year we're going to be exposed again when a big guy (like Calvin, Coleman, etc.) gets the ball down on the blocks.

Jiri is better than people on this board give him credit for. Not sure why there is so much anomosity toward him. He shot 52% from the field last year and was our main threat down low. I realize that he shoots too many jumpers, but he is the only guy on our team who has good foot work near the basket (save for perhaps Wesley Johnson who can just jump over guys).

Why we didn't use Cory Johnson to help defend the post against Drake? Maybe GMac thinks his style wouldn't work against Drake?

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    He shot 52% from the field last year and was our main threat down low. guys).
    See the highlighted above--LAST YEAR. New season, Jiri. New team members and new coach equals a new role for him. I will be the first to give the guy credit for a job well done. So far, I just haven't been able to do that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,487
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

him shooting
    him dribbling

Oh for pets's sake, layoff a bit. We lose a game and everyone wants to blame each player. He played within the offense today, but I think he made mistakes defensively. He had a couple good post ups in the middle of that zone. He almost took an outside shot but passed it up when he realized he wasn't that open. It was an improvement. Did you see him body up Keita on that one post move. Cleared a bit of space for the shot. HE DIDNT TAKE ONE OUTSIDE SHOT. In fact, I dont' think he hung out outside the 3-point line at all. So he has one bad shooting game and follows it up with a game where he didn't take a bad shot and everyone is still on his back. He didn't match up with anyone defensively besides Keita and that was the problem. We know Marsden and Johnson are sick. Maybe something's going around, he seemed especially lacsadasical and maybe that was why he was late for the turnaround. By the way, he also led the team in Rebounds per minute tonight. I think it was just the defensive matchups that caused us too much trouble.