We lost, but we're growing up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

We lost, but we're growing up.

I don't care that we lost today, because so much was gained out of this loss.
    That was the kind of game we needed to put pressure on some of the guys to mature.

McIntosh-Cool, calm, and collected down to the last second. Came up with a big steal that led to points by himself. He slashed, got fouled, and looked 1000 times more aggressive than he has all year.

Taylor-Erratic in the first half, but grew up and became a much smarter player in the second half when we needed to play smart basketball. He's got it in him!

Wesley Johnson-He showed aggression and drove to the basket using the dribble on more than a few occasions, getting fouled and making free throws. He's gonna be a stud when he learns how to control his body and athleticism!

Rahshon Clark-Great game for his confidence, even though we lost. He was huge down the stretch, draining big threes and free throws. At one point in the first half, I was absolutely ECSTATIC about seeing him dribble-drive, something I'm not sure that I've ever seen RC do.

Dodie Dunson-Damn son! You came out of nowhere! You looked timid earlier in the year, but this game is gonna give you loads of confidence. D-squared almost single-handedly resurrected us from the dead, if only he hadn't dribbled on that last shot! I'm now REALLY excited about this kid's future, he's the three point threat we've been lacking for a few years.

Sure we lost, but I'm now really excited about the season. These guys really showed me something today.

Last edited by Michael Lastuvka; 12-03-2006 at 04:17 PM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 537
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: We lost, but we're growing up.

It's frustrating, but I hold to something said a week ago. Our problems are correctable. Some experience, floor time. We can improve. I think the learning curve should be quite high.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I was impressed too. Especially considering the fact there's no post game to speak of. And to come back from 16 down shows a lot of guts too. I really hope they can build on this game when they head to IC Friday and steal one there...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 619

They outstole us pretty bad (8 to 1 at one time). Brock J is not the answer. Mike shoots 3s on the run better than Dodie and Clark do on the line. Too many 3s becasue we as a team cannot get a good short shot.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,199
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

Great post, and my toughts exactly. I loved how they played off of the crowd down the stretch as well, Hilton Magic didn't return today...but it sure poked its head through the doors.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with most of what you said. Wesley continues to impress. Dodie was huge in bringing us back and firing up the team. McIntosh showed great leadership near the end of the game. Rahshon played well, but I would have liked to see more fire and leadership from him. Taylor needs to stay under control. I think Grey has also shown a lot in the past few games.

Does Jiri ever look fired up though? It still looks like someone needs to light a fire under his *****. I noticed several times where he plodded down the floor while Drake was running the break. I remember Homan and Vroman busting their butt back down the court and blocking people, which Jiri never does. It looks like Gmac reigned him in after the last game as he stayed lower and didn't put up dumb shots. Grey also played a lot more minutes than Jiri did.

I also don't think Cory Johnson saw the floor at all tonight. Not quite sure what is up with that. My only thought is that Wesley is playing so well he's getting the extra playing time.

Rookie
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post
    Taylor-Erratic in the first half, but grew up and became a much smarter player in the second half when we needed to play smart basketball. He's got it in him!
    I agree with most of your statements, but not this one. What made you think that Taylor 'grew up' and played smarter in the 2nd half? He's still running around out of control and taking forced shots all over the court. Drake basically gave us the game by running into each other and missing two 1 & 1 opportunities, and we couldn't capitalize, because Mr. Taylor seems to think that forcing a lay-up when triple teamed is better than kicking it out for an open shot.

He still has A LOT of maturing to do, which is not good for a Junior.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,184
    Given: 1,040

I agree very much. Say what you want about Drake, they are well coached, experienced and move the ball around very well. ISU's offense and defense are sporadic, but they are learning. Jiri did look more under control today, and if he continues to play that way, will be a real asset to the team.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Power View Post
    I agree with most of your statements, but not this one. What made you think that Taylor 'grew up' and played smarter in the 2nd half? He's still running around out of control and taking forced shots all over the court. Drake basically gave us the game by running into each other and missing two 1 & 1 opportunities, and we couldn't capitalize, because Mr. Taylor seems to think that forcing a lay-up when triple teamed is better than kicking it out for an open shot.

I agree with that. I didn't say that I thought Taylor grew up, he still has a long way to go. But towards the last half of the second half, he played a lot more in control when he needed to. I can only think of one forced play by him, as opposed to the first half where I can think of three or four. He wasn't a detriment in the second half as much.

I guess in my post I was more excited about the others than him.

Last edited by Michael Lastuvka; 12-03-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 619

Iowa game will tell us even more about future of this year.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post
    I agree with that. I didn't say that I thought Taylor grew up, he still has a long way to go. But towards the last half of the second half, he played a lot more in control when he needed to. I can only think of one forced play by him, as opposed to the first half where I can think of three or four. He wasn't a detriment.

I guess in my post I was more excited about the others than him.
    That's fair enough. He did play a little better towards the end of the game, minus that forced shot that killed our rally.

Taylor just makes my heart race when he's running so out of control all the time. I think he would be a FANTASTIC ball player if he could just learn to pass more when he's covered, and then take his shots when he's open. He's got a great shot when he's open, but too often he's forcing it up instead of looking for his teammates.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Agreed on Taylor. He has the natural talent "in him" but needs to clean up his game and mature. If he does, he has shot to be great before he is done at ISU. I hope GMac can mold him into the player we all think he can be.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,364
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Taylor just makes my heart race when he's running so out of control all the time. I think he would be a FANTASTIC ball player if he could just learn to pass more when he's covered, and then take his shots when he's open. He's got a great shot when he's open, but too often he's forcing it up instead of looking for his teammates.
    Taylor reminds me WAY too much of Curtis Stinson. Too bad he's not as strong of a finisher. THEN he'd be a good player. I still don't know if Taylor is a good fit for this system. He really needs to distribute the ball more than he does.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

The guys behind me were calling him "Turnover Taylor", and rightfully so. There are other players on the court. He does a modest job distributing the ball, but I am so tired of him being the first one down the court on transition.

I agree with others when they say that he matured in the second half, but we could've won today had it not been for his sloppy ball handling in the first half.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 95

Before the year started we all know that we had to take some steps backward, before we can go forward again...