Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 74

Maybe it is just young players

After watching the Colorado game again and thinking about past games one thing poped into my mind; these players dont understand what they are suppose to be doing. I think they get the basic concepts of what they are to do but when they think about and allow the pressure to get to them they mess up. Understanding all this takes time there is little this staff can do to speed this up.

When the O is going good they are quick to the ball, look quick during the play, get the right blocks, they get into the flow think lets keep this going and dont think about what they did wrong and try to do the right thing. When things go bad they get sluggish, they think about what they did wrong, second guess themselfs during the play causing a bad outcome. Players are not seeing where they need to block and they dont understand how to look around for a player to block. I dont think the play calling has been that bad as of late. Things will open up more once the line gets better as a group.

On D it is young players not understanding where they need to be. They get into the flow, follow the ball, are not always sure if they are in the right play, key on one area and dont see the big picture. Because of this they are allowing WRs to get lost (open) in the zone. Its not about the sceme, its about players understanding where other players will be and what they need and can do on each situation.

Special teams is a strong point at times for this team. It is good because it is one area where players dont really have to think, they block or tackle with no real play called or place they should be all dont at 100 mph so there is really no time to think.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 246

Re: Maybe it is just young players

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    After watching the Colorado game again and thinking about past games one thing poped into my mind; these players dont understand what they are suppose to be doing. I think they get the basic concepts of what they are to do but when they think about and allow the pressure to get to them they mess up. Understanding all this takes time there is little this staff can do to speed this up.

When the O is going good they are quick to the ball, look quick during the play, get the right blocks, they get into the flow think lets keep this going and dont think about what they did wrong and try to do the right thing. When things go bad they get sluggish, they think about what they did wrong, second guess themselfs during the play causing a bad outcome. Players are not seeing where they need to block and they dont understand how to look around for a player to block. I dont think the play calling has been that bad as of late. Things will open up more once the line gets better as a group.

On D it is young players not understanding where they need to be. They get into the flow, follow the ball, are not always sure if they are in the right play, key on one area and dont see the big picture. Because of this they are allowing WRs to get lost (open) in the zone. Its not about the sceme, its about players understanding where other players will be and what they need and can do on each situation.

Special teams is a strong point at times for this team. It is good because it is one area where players dont really have to think, they block or tackle with no real play called or place they should be all dont at 100 mph so there is really no time to think.

I agree 100%.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Don't forget how patchwork our O-line has become as well. Missing Knapp and Lamaak sure as hell isn't helping us.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 706
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 27

Excellent post. Have to give Chizik time to teach HIS players.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    I agree 100%.
    I also agree, and I think they will get better with experience, but Colorado is the second youngest team in the Big12 (after us) so you can make the claim that we are either not as talented or the coaches are not doing a good enough job coaching. I think it is a little of both. No one should be calling for Chizik's head, but Chizik and co. isn't perfect and they've made mistakes this year.

There is hope for the future folks. We lost 3 games by 9 points this year, with 12 more points we would be 5-5 with 2 games to go (one very winnable). If we can do that this year with the youngest team in the conference, there is hope in the coming years, especially if we can continue to bring in good classes. I wouldn't compare this year to 1999 like some have, but I do think we will be playing our best football next year that we have played in years.

Last edited by jaretac; 11-10-2008 at 10:38 PM.