Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Coordinators

Do people think that our coordinators are as good or better than average among Big XII coordinators?

If I remember correctly, Jamie gave Chizik some very attractive salaries to hire good coordinators. Chizik went out and hired his buddies, who both had pretty underwhelming resumes. I was stoked about Chizik, but was pretty unhappy about the coordinator hires. I think most people on this board thought they were okay at the time. I'm guessing quite a few opinions have changed?

Last edited by ericlambi; 11-09-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 9

Re: Coordinators

i think they are great at putting together a game plan during the week. i am starting to wonder about their abilities to adjust on the run. as in when the opponent starts walking down the field in the 4th quarter and we cant figure out how to stop it. obviously some adjustments were made on the other sideline and we havent proven to be able to do that.

Husker Hater

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by ericlambi View Post
    Do people think that our coordinators are as good or better than average among Big XII coordinators?
    I don't think anyone can rationally/honestly answer "yes" to that question.

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I think our coordinators suck. At the same time, I often see called plays that would work if the players executed.

I've never been thrilled about our offense, even going back to Mac's days.

I think we have an obvious problem on Defense. I'm not sure if that's more the players, or the scheme, but I'd be cool with some more talented players and a different coordinator.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Addict
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

They've been pretty underwhelming up to this point... I think Bolt gets one more year before pressure really starts to ramp up on Chizik to find another defensive coordinator.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 27

Sorry to say it - No

Legend
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 112

Quote Originally Posted by ericlambi View Post
    Seriously, I think I'll better evaluate our coordinators when the talent they are coaching at least approaches "as good or better than average among Big XII" talent.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The coaches did a great job in preparing us to play Colorado, and ISU was the better team for the first 3 quarters. You can question a playcall here or there, but I don't think you can blame the coaches for the defense's total meltdown in the 4th quarter. There wasn't a defender within 10 yards of Colorado's receivers on any of the key plays. Contrast that with the precision that AA had to show on nearly all of his throws. That's on the players, and let's just hope they learn from the experience. It seemed pretty obvious that none of our defensive players wanted to step up and make a play when we needed it the most.

As bad as the fourth quarter was, I'm still proud of their effort in the first 3 quarters. These guys could have mailed it in from the beginning, and they didn't. All of these close losses might be good for our young players as it's pretty obvious that a W was there for the taking if the effort was only there. Maybe the altitude had something to do with it.

Starter
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

McFarland's offense is really starting to look a lot better. It's not consistent yet, but even Jason Scales is looking pretty good out there. I love what they're doing with Collin Franklin.

Bolt's defense is struggling, but it looked a whole lot better last year with Rubin, Braaksma, Banks, Bowen, and a healthy Chris Brown.

In short, it's hard to say our coordinators are above or below average in the Big 12 when we know our talent level is below average in the Big 12.

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    I've never been thrilled about our offense, even going back to Mac's days.
    I'd take this offense again.

The 2000 Cyclone offense ranked among the nation’s best and ranked third in school history, averaging nearly 425 yards per game. Under McCarney, Iowa State has had a balanced offensive attack. ISU produced a 1,000-yard rusher in McCarney’s first seven seasons in Ames. Troy Davis rushed for more than 2,000 yards in 1995 and 1996 and was a Heisman Trophy finalist both seasons. Tailback Ennis Haywood rushed for more than 1,000 yards in 2000 and 2001. Quarterback Sage Rosenfels produced the third-best passing season in school history in 2000 en route to a job with the NFL’s Miami Dolphins. The Iowan now plays for the Houston Texans. Quarterback Seneca Wallace, who plays for NFC champion Seattle in the NFL, was the Big 12 Conference’s Offensive Newcomer of the Year in 2001 and finished his Iowa State career as the Cyclones’ all-time total offense leader. Lineman Oliver Ross (Arizona) rounds out the former offensive Cyclones in the NFL.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 482
    Given: 259

We honestly have to give them a little more time before we start judging them. From what announcers have said, they are still not playing with full playbooks. We have a ton of young kids, and they are still learning the offense and defense. I expect good things out of them next year.

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 17

For what it's worth, ISU's scoring average is up 7 points from last year (18 to 25) and the scoring defense is up 2 points as well (32 to 34).

The Cyclones are 24th in the country in turnover margin at +7 this year. In 2007, they were 101st at -7.

ISU is improved in net punting (66th in '07 to 37th), punt returns (119th to 57th), and kick returns (109th to 12th..FYI this is average return yardage,)

The sacks made and allowed are virtually the same as last year.

And believe it or not the pass defense is up only 20 yards from a season ago.

So...if you look at the pure numbers, there is some improvement in areas. We all know the secondary has been a problem area (starting two true frosh a reason for that) and the rush defense is down significantly from last year (44th to 94th) as ISU has really missed an interior prescence aka Rubin.

It doesn't mean that things can't turnaround on D though.

This young group reminds me of the 2003 group...which had Berryman, Curvey, and Jackson all start as true freshman. That team finished 102nd in total defense and went 2-10. They got older and better and in 2004 ISU was 29th in total defense and 32nd in 2005 with the same coordinator. And, of course, were a FG away from winning the North.

It just takes time and patience, which many don't have.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 42

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    For what it's worth, ISU's scoring average is up 7 points from last year (18 to 25) and the scoring defense is up 2 points as well (32 to 34).

The Cyclones are 24th in the country in turnover margin at +7 this year. In 2007, they were 101st at -7.

ISU is improved in net punting (66th in '07 to 37th), punt returns (119th to 57th), and kick returns (109th to 12th..FYI this is average return yardage,)

The sacks made and allowed are virtually the same as last year.

And believe it or not the pass defense is up only 20 yards from a season ago.

So...if you look at the pure numbers, there is some improvement in areas. We all know the secondary has been a problem area (starting two true frosh a reason for that) and the rush defense is down significantly from last year (44th to 94th) as ISU has really missed an interior prescence aka Rubin.

It doesn't mean that things can't turnaround on D though.

This young group reminds me of the 2003 group...which had Berryman, Curvey, and Jackson all start as true freshman. That team finished 102nd in total defense and went 2-10. They got older and better and in 2004 ISU was 29th in total defense and 32nd in 2005 with the same coordinator. And, of course, were a FG away from winning the North.

Hmmm, good points. Thx.

It would be nice if these stat improvements resulted in Ws.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    Just curious Brent - do you buy season tix, and perhaps do you donate $$$ to the Cyclone Club? Last I checked, I didn't get a discount while the "product" is in development.
    Speaking of patience, I have little of that for media members to lecture fans when they don't pay for a thing...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I'd take this offense again.

The 2000 Cyclone offense ranked among the nation’s best and ranked third in school history, averaging nearly 425 yards per game. Under McCarney, Iowa State has had a balanced offensive attack. ISU produced a 1,000-yard rusher in McCarney’s first seven seasons in Ames. Troy Davis rushed for more than 2,000 yards in 1995 and 1996 and was a Heisman Trophy finalist both seasons. Tailback Ennis Haywood rushed for more than 1,000 yards in 2000 and 2001. Quarterback Sage Rosenfels produced the third-best passing season in school history in 2000 en route to a job with the NFL’s Miami Dolphins. The Iowan now plays for the Houston Texans. Quarterback Seneca Wallace, who plays for NFC champion Seattle in the NFL, was the Big 12 Conference’s Offensive Newcomer of the Year in 2001 and finished his Iowa State career as the Cyclones’ all-time total offense leader. Lineman Oliver Ross (Arizona) rounds out the former offensive Cyclones in the NFL.

Our offene of the future is doing about 350 yards a game this year.

Looking like we lack depth in the fourth quarter on defense. When we are behind we look okay in the fourth. When we are aheadm they look really bad in the fourth. Hmmm.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.