Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Arrow Fuel for thought

Okay, I hate losing, but I think that we are making progress. Our defense is awful, but our offense and special teams have been playing okay. We all know how good our special teams have been playing and it has to be one of the best overall special teams unit that Iowa State has ever had.

Offensively, you probably thinking "he's crazy"- but think about this:
    - Iowa State is averaging more yards (357) per game this year then we have averaged since 2002 (381).
    - ARob has now rushed for 593 yards this season, the most of any back since Stevie Hicks hit 1000 yards in '04 and he has an average of 4.5 yards a carry. We are also averaging the most rushing yards per game since '04.
    - As a team (mostly AA), we are averaging 220 passing yards a game. We averaged 236 passing yards a game in 2002- with Wallace and all those great receivers we only averaged 16 more yards per game then we have this year with all the freshman WR's and a first year starter at QB.

What won us games in '04 and '05 was our defense which is nearly non-existent this year. We all know that Chizik can coach defense, but when you think about all the good players we lost last year, it should not be a surprise that our defense has struggled. What has been a surprise is that our defense has been as bad as it is. It is true that Big12 offenses are at an all time high, but we have made some of the worst offenses look great.

If ISU can improve its defense (particularly pass) there is hope for the future. Let's get behind the coaches and help them bring in a great recruiting class by being good fans and maybe we can improve that defense. The Missouri game is coming up and there will likely be many recruits there, let’s show them what ISU fans are really like. I'm not saying we should put on blinders, but let’s quit calling for Chizik's head when we know it's not going to happen this year- you’re just chasing away recruits.

Last edited by jaretac; 11-09-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 18

Re: Fuel of thought

Good post

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Fuel FOR thought.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 113

If Gundy can coach the offense, maybe Gene should help out Bolt with the defense like Pelini does with his brother. Chase Daniel will pass for 400 plus yards unless he gets hurt, the wind cries mary, or we mix it up.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Chase Daniel will pass for 400 plus yards unless he gets hurt, the wind cries mary, or we mix it up.
    You meant to say 600 yards didnt you.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 2

Re: Fuel for thought

I agree with most of what you said. My only problem right now especially after today is some of the play calls they need to shore them up. Comes with experience, but our defense is just missing key playmakers at some positions that is all, against the run we are good, but the pass not so good. Speed we need speed to defend the pass more speed on the end and on the line. I am not giving up on our coaches and understand that it is going to take a while to build this program. I think we need to get away from looking over to the sideline on offense on play calling. Oky St. did the same thing and same result not much doing, but Tech does not do that and they execute very well to me it is just a waste of time. I think we can give Mizzou a run for there money next week cross my fingers because the players refuse to give up.

Prospect Achievements:
    SocialVeteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Bro you got me sold. I'm going to that game next saturday ready to scream my head off for those boys. I love this team & school and god bless them for having the heart to keep playing thier guts out for us week in & week out. Win or lose it's the seniors last home game & I say we give them a stand ovation to thank them for choosing ISU as thier home. GO CYCLONES! there is still one trophy you can bring home.

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by scyclonekid View Post
    I think we need to get away from looking over to the sideline on offense on play calling. Oky St. did the same thing and same result not much doing, but Tech does not do that and they execute very well to me it is just a waste of time.
    Tech has quarterback that is in his third year of starting. Give Arnaud time. I am sure once he is able to read defenses better, then the coaches will allow him more control over play changes at the line. At least I hope so.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUchains1Fan View Post
    Bro you got me sold. I'm going to that game next saturday ready to scream my head off for those boys. I love this team & school and god bless them for having the heart to keep playing thier guts out for us week in & week out. Win or lose it's the seniors last home game & I say we give them a stand ovation to thank them for choosing ISU as thier home. GO CYCLONES! there is still one trophy you can bring home.
    I'm curious........what trophy are you talking about?

Prospect Achievements:
    SocialVeteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

The telephone trophy

Rookie
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If Gundy can coach the offense, maybe Gene should help out Bolt with the defense like Pelini does with his brother. Chase Daniel will pass for 400 plus yards unless he gets hurt, the wind cries mary, or we mix it up.

Where do you coach?

"Bring it all to the table. Don't hold nothin' back," he said. "I want you. I want the ball. I want your head. I throw my body into 'em and hit them." - #23 Leonard Johnson

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 113

Quote Originally Posted by Cymon View Post
    Where do you coach?
    Bo Pelini calls the defense mostly in the game similar to what Gundy continues to do. It would nnot be a stretch top let Gene become more involved in the playcalling for Mizzou game. Frankly, Chase Daniel has made us look terrible for the lat few years when he came on foe Brad Smith. He will sit back there and pick us apar unless we get a blizzard or something weird happens. Our best hope is to score 40 or more. Reallu unfortunate that Chase is such a bad matchup for us.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bo Pelini calls the defense mostly in the game similar to what Gundy continues to do. It would nnot be a stretch top let Gene become more involved in the playcalling for Mizzou game. Frankly, Chase Daniel has made us look terrible for the lat few years when he came on foe Brad Smith. He will sit back there and pick us apar unless we get a blizzard or something weird happens. Our best hope is to score 40 or more. Reallu unfortunate that Chase is such a bad matchup for us.

OK. So what does that mean? Should a coach that has a plan to instill his philosophies deter himself from them because a few fans think we should be in a BCS bowl during his 2nd year? Please help me understand.

Thanks.

"Bring it all to the table. Don't hold nothin' back," he said. "I want you. I want the ball. I want your head. I throw my body into 'em and hit them." - #23 Leonard Johnson

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 41

The offense isn't our problem. It's funny because when you hire a great defensive mind like Chizik you would probably expect things to be reversed right now. Decent defense and below average offense but nope.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 245

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    Okay, I hate losing, but I think that we are making progress. Our defense is awful, but our offense and special teams have been playing okay. We all know how good our special teams have been playing and it has to be one of the best overall special teams unit that Iowa State has ever had.

Offensively, you probably thinking "he's crazy"- but think about this:
    - Iowa State is averaging more yards (357) per game this year then we have averaged since 2002 (381).
    - ARob has now rushed for 593 yards this season, the most of any back since Stevie Hicks hit 1000 yards in '04 and he has an average of 4.5 yards a carry. We are also averaging the most rushing yards per game since '04.
    - As a team (mostly AA), we are averaging 220 passing yards a game. We averaged 236 passing yards a game in 2002- with Wallace and all those great receivers we only averaged 16 more yards per game then we have this year.

What won us games in '04 and '05 was our defense which is nearly non-existent this year. We all know that Chizik can coach defense, but when you think about all the good players we lost last year, it should not be a surprise that our defense has struggled. What has been a surprise is that our defense has been as bad as it is. It is true that Big12 offenses are at an all time high, but we have made some of the worst offenses look great.

If ISU can improve its defense (particularly pass) there is hope for the future. Let's get behind the coaches and help them bring in a great recruiting class by being good fans and maybe we can improve that defense. The Missouri game is coming up and there will likely be many recruits there, letís show them what ISU fans are really like. I'm not saying we should put on blinders, but letís quit calling for Chizik's head when we know it's not going to happen this year- youíre just chancing away recruits.
    Great post. If these kids had found a way to pull out the close games (Iowa, UNLV, Kansas, Texas A&M and Colorado), we would be looking at a vastly different season. Especially since a little momentum can greatly change the tone of a season. A few of those games were doomed by a bad half. A year of experience under their belts, and continued support might be enough to put them over the top in a big way.

It's pretty easy to look back at playcalling and second guess. If ISU had run the ball up the middle and had been stuffed, some would be questioning that call too. Or a throw for that matter, or any play that ended with the same result.