Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

New Hampshire plans on allowing kids to graduate after 10th grade

New Hampshire education officials, plan to allow high school students to test out of high school after they complete the tenth grade.

Link:
    Should Kids Be Able to Graduate After 10th Grade? - Yahoo! News

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 282

Re: New Hampshire plans on allowing kids to graduate after 10th grade

My junior and senior years were a waste. I pretty much learned nothing. I did take AP biology my senior year, which was great, but the rest did nothing for me.

A couple of years at a technical college probably would have prepared me better for the real world or at least prepared me for ISU better.

Last edited by bos; 11-07-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

I think I went to school for about 3 hours a day my senior year, so yeah, I probably wouldn't have minded being able to test out.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,958
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 37

You know, I had this really long rant I'd written and I actually argued myself into being torn on the issue. On one hand, I think it's another ploy to reduce spending on education to save some money. The one spot we should be spending more in. On the other hand. I don't see a problem with a kid graduation early if they really are ready. I mean seriously, what's the point of sitting in school all day and just breezing through class. I did it. high school was really easy for me and I didn't take the easy classes. I was ususally bored and looked at high school mainly as, "Well, if I can get B's and A's without working to hard, why work harder? My Junior and Senior year were far from Challenging for me. I had to study very little and the only bit I did study was to insure easy entrance to college. I really don't see a reason to force a kid to go to school, especially if the reason they want to leave, is to learn more.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 0

In Australia where I lived for a while, it was common for kids to be done with school at the end of our 10th grade and learn a trade or do something like that, while only the kids interested in higher education continued on from there. I think this is a good idea here and I generally don't like a lot of things that go on in Europe and other countries "like" us.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    You know, I had this really long rant I'd written and I actually argued myself into being torn on the issue. On one hand, I think it's another ploy to reduce spending on education to save some money. The one spot we should be spending more in. On the other hand. I don't see a problem with a kid graduation early if they really are ready. I mean seriously, what's the point of sitting in school all day and just breezing through class. I did it. high school was really easy for me and I didn't take the easy classes. I was ususally bored and looked at high school mainly as, "Well, if I can get B's and A's without working to hard, why work harder? My Junior and Senior year were far from Challenging for me. I had to study very little and the only bit I did study was to insure easy entrance to college. I really don't see a reason to force a kid to go to school, especially if the reason they want to leave, is to learn more.
    I think you, and the other posters, have highlighted the exact issues that we need to address first, before considering this. It surprises me to think that people are looking at high school like, "Oh, well this isn't doing anything for such and such kids, they should be able to graduate if they're ready", and aren't thinking to themselves, "Oh wait... therein lies our problem..."

I don't know, perhaps actually fixing the high school system would be too hard and cost-ineffective (or so some people think), so they figure that letting some people out to go get a better education than they'd get in high school would be a more effective option. Then again, that just places more fiscal responsibility on the student and the student's family, since they would most certainly have to pay more to go to a college than otherwise (unless you were me and went to a private school... our community college had cheaper tuition!)

Either way, I think our standards have been lowered too much, because the expectation of an A is too unreasonable, and people get too used to it, and so anything lower seems like underachieving. I'm one of those people too, although engineering has very painfully beat it out of me for the most part.