Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Park

We're planning a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks next summer, specifically July. Never having been, this seems like a perfect topic for discussion among Cyclone Fanatics.

We're a party of six - my wife, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and myself. Parents are in their 80s, but still pretty mobile, but we won't be going on any backbacking or whitewater rafting adventures, either.

So, given that, any tips, recommendations, places to stay, things not to miss, things to avoid, etc.?

Thanks.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Yellowstone and Grand Tetons National Park

Make you way down to the town of Jackson

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Yellowstone is great, but don't forget about the Grand Tetons. We used to go through Yellowstone allot, but I've only ever made it to the Tetons once for a few hours. There were allot less people in the Grand Tetons and it was much better scenery.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

You'll have a blast! I've been to both several times.

Yellowstone is a bit more touristy, as so many go there. It's really a fasciniating park and there's so much to see. I've been there for a total of 2 weeks, and there are tons I still haven't seen.

A problem with Yellowstone is that most just see the sights and don't deviate from the main attractions. Because of this, it can be crowded and sometimes frustrating. It's still a must-see though

The Grand Tetons is really less crowded and has great scenery. I know when I've gone, I've felt more in nature and more isolated.

Jackson Hole is a fun town to go to if you have time, which is further south. They have a neat little downtown with fudge shops and such. It's a skiing town so it's hopping in the winter, but it's more calm in the summer. It's a fun day trip or a 1 day-1 night side trip.

Let me know if you have any questions about either of these places, as I'm not an expert, but have gone recently multiple times.

Last edited by mplscyclone; 11-07-2008 at 10:20 AM.
    I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Rookie
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would highly suggest going across Beartooth Pass. I will put some pictures on here if I can find them.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

If you like fly-fishing, there are some nice spots in Yellowstone to fish. Depending on when you are going you may be able to fish the Yellowstone. Not sure when opening day is this year but usually it's the beginning of June or the end of May. Firehole Creek is a fun creek to fish. Not huge fish but you are right near Old Geyser and you can see water boiling in the creek you are wading in. Pretty cool to see.

Madison River is near by, it's where they filmed River Runs through it, and it's a great stretch to fish. Especially since it's rebounded from whirling disease.

If you are ever near Alpine, Wyoming (it's 30-40 minutes away from Jackson Hole) you must eat at the Restaurant, Brenthoven's. The cod parmesan their is the best in the world.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Schriner View Post
    We're planning a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks next summer, specifically July. Never having been, this seems like a perfect topic for discussion among Cyclone Fanatics.

We're a party of six - my wife, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and myself. Parents are in their 80s, but still pretty mobile, but we won't be going on any backbacking or whitewater rafting adventures, either.

So, given that, any tips, recommendations, places to stay, things not to miss, things to avoid, etc.?

Thanks.
    My wifes family had a family reunion out there, a few years ago, during the summer, there are some nice ski lodges, that are rented on the west side of the Tetons, near a little town called Driggs , Idaho, Very reasonable rates, and within easy driving distance of Teton National Park, Yellowstone, and Jackson Hole.

Just do a search for Driggs Idaho vacation rentals

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 642

it's been years since we went as a family. my dad, sister, and brother. we hit Mt. Rushmore on the way out. Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Jackson Hole. had an awesome time. we never saw any bears though.

Are you a member?

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 454

Rookie
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

We stayed in West Yellowstone, MT, but lots of people enjoy staying at one of the lodges, but you need to book early. Take your time driving through the park. Get a guide book for the parks and pick out things you want to do. There are a lot of short trails. There are a couple driving trails off the paved figure 8.
    Best time to see wolves are daybreak and dusk although there are wolf followers who are there every day. Ask if you can look through their high powered lenses to get close up views during the day. There were about a dozen people who "know" the wolves by sight and what they do every day.
    Watch your speed driving through the park at night. Damn near hit a grizzly one night after viewing the wolves. I was driving through a section that was 45 mph and in a long straight shot, but some goofball was coming the opposite direction with his brights on and wouldn't turn them off. I slowed down to about 35 and when I passed him, the grizzly was right there. I swerved and still don't know how I missed it. That would have been interesting if I had hit it. A disabled car with air bags deployed and a hacked off grizzly bear outside. (But I digress.)
    Elk, buffalo, coyotes are everywhere. Moose are the hardest to find, but pay attention to stopped traffic (bearjams) as they will usually stop to watch bears and moose. Also ask the rangers for information.
    Seeing Old Faithful at sunset is always cool. If you are there during the day, check what time sunset is and the next time OF is due to go off. OF goes off about every 90 minutes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 135

We went this summer and it was great. Plan way ahead, especially if you want to stay in the park. Stay at least 10 -14 days if you can. It will probably be more expensive than you think. We stayed in a cabin out the West entrance, which was nice for laundry, making sandwiches, breakfast, and bad weather days. The drive in and out was a pain, a lot of wasted time. Bring a spotting scope or very powerful binocs for viewing animals.

Last edited by 2020cy; 11-07-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 135

Pack wind breakers or fleece jackets - it gets cool in the park even in the summer. Snow banks there even after the 4th of July. Zip off shorts/pants are handy as the weather warms up during the day and cools off when the wind picks up. Rain gear or ponchos recommended, luckily didn't need ours this year.

Rookie
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

My sister worked in Yellowstone for a number of years and still lives in Livingston.

On our visit we stayed on night in the Lake Hotel on Lake Yellowstone. Not as chaotic as the Old Faithful Inn, beautiful building and view of the lake. Very nice.

Went rafting on the Yellowstone River. Kids loved it although their aunt took us on a very tame route with little or no rapids (good for beer drinking) and they could have gone for a little more action.

Jackson/Tetons were awesome.

In Yellowstone traffic can be a bear (no pun intended) but the wildlife you see - bison, elk, deer, moose - right up by the road is partial to blame. Don't hit a bison - I hear its like running into a wall.

There was a waterfall we went to on the way back from Jackson. I'll have to double check the name. Took a boat across this lake then a mile long hike up into the forest. Very cool. Even the 4 year old could handle it with a little effort.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

The best thing I can tell you is to not fall into the Mammoth trap. Mammoth hot springs is not as big of a deal as some make them out to be. If you have time, go see them, but not at the expense of seeing the Tetons, Yellowstone falls or the geysers. You'll see allot of hot springs all around Yellowstone, Mammoth is not that much different, just bigger.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 2

I live a few hours from each of these. Good choice.