Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,556
    Given: 748

Respect for our players and coaches

I would really like to see a better approach taken to criticism on this board. Especially with the players. I am really tired of seeing the Iowa State players torched in thread after thread. A young player can have a bad game, or for that matter might never develop as we would wish. But let's keep it respectful. They are kids, and they have chosen to come to Iowa State. We talk about our fans like they are the best in the world, but we should start backing that statement up.

What really concerns me is how Iowa State is perceived by recruits. If I were a prospective recruit, or the parent of a prospective recruit, I would check out the team, the coaches, the facilities, etc. But I would also browse the web sites and message boards and see how the fan atmosphere looks.

There is a way to talk about problems in a direct but tactful and respectful manner, and most fans on here do just that. It is a free message board, and virtually any knucklehead can spout their opinion, but these are real people that we are talking about, and if we want to talk about ourselves like we are great fans, we should think before we speak, and start acting like great fans.

Recruit
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Respect for our players and coaches

I don't think that parents are going to browse the web looking at message boards in an attempt to judge a school's worth, you may be getting a little ahead of yourself their pride. P.S. tell me that Greg Oden looks like a kid (or a whole bunch of other big ol dudes playing D1 ball). Do you think Oden or his parents "checked out the message boards" before he picked Ohio State? Probably not. Point taken on the be a good fan / disney speech.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I agree that some posts are rather tactless and that it is easy to forget that these are young kids. However, I wouldn't get to caught up in how much these boards affect recruiting or the like. For one, there would have to be other boards for different schools where the same things didn't happen for our board to have a negative impact.

On a slightly related note, it makes me want to puke when our fans boo their own team during a game. There is a time for criticism, during the game is not it.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ericlambi View Post
    I agree that some posts are rather tactless and that it is easy to forget that these are young kids. However, I wouldn't get to caught up in how much these boards affect recruiting or the like. For one, there would have to be other boards for different schools where the same things didn't happen for our board to have a negative impact.

On a slightly related note, it makes me want to puke when our fans boo their own team during a game. There is a time for criticism, during the game is not it.
    I agree with most of that. I've sat in Jack Trice several times the last couple years and heard fans alternately boo and cheer depending on how the play goes.

I take exception to the point that "well, everyone else does it, so it must be ok here too." I agree that everyone else does it, but shouldn't we at least try to be better?

In reference to the post about my "Disney" speech.... I know it was a little preachy, and that the fans I am talking about could care less about what I've said. I still feel that it needs to be said every once in a while. Why do you suppose that we now see commercials during football games that talk about sportsmanship among the fans? The NCAA is trying to teach people what their mom should have taught them.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well said cyclonepride I couldn't agree more

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Ultimately as fans, we would all hope everyone could rally behind the team under good or bad situations. Some of us are really supportive fans and would never go to criticising the team in a negative manner. This is a great influence to have on this board, but unfortunately is not the same feelings for everyone.

This is a message forum on cyclone athletics, so you are going to get comments good or bad, or really bad about a school we all greatly respect. Now as long as those posts are not out of line, we all need to keep an open mind about them and either stand up and defend your opinon or shrug it off till tomorrow. Everyone has every right to post their opinion no matter what side it may lean torwards.

I did like the post above Cyclonepride. Its nice to see individuals stand up for something they believe in.

Go State!

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Rookie
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Good thread, I agree with being positive and offering limited criticism and opinions...after all that's what fans do.

Scott L., Yokosuka, Japan

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 827
    Given: 804

The best fans are the one that don't make excuses or rag on a player when things are going bad. Of course its easy to be happy when we're winning, but half of the teams lose everynight. Of course I think its great to discuss WHY we lost...for example "this guy had trouble getting rebounds" rather than "he can't rebound and should never play"......i think we mean well but sometimes don't use the best wording

@RandomGeoFacts

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 844
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 13

Partially correct.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cato2handjam View Post
    I don't think that parents are going to browse the web looking at message boards in an attempt to judge a school's worth, you may be getting a little ahead of yourself their pride. P.S. tell me that Greg Oden looks like a kid (or a whole bunch of other big ol dudes playing D1 ball). Do you think Oden or his parents "checked out the message boards" before he picked Ohio State? Probably not. Point taken on the be a good fan / disney speech.
    I have to respectively disagree with a least a portion of your observation. I have seen parents of prospects on our boards prior to signed letters of intent. I can't remember all of their names but I do know that Austin Flynn's dad was on. I recall another football dad that we were glad to lose to a school in Florida and some basketball parents -- I can't be sure but it was in the Blalock era.

I also appreciate players' parents coming on the boards to give us some insight. If clueless or irresponsible posters bash players -- whether a child or teammates, a parent is likely to withdraw.

It doesn't hurt to be reasonable and rational in our posts.

Whether you think you can or think you can't;
    you are right. Henry Ford

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    The best fans are the one that don't make excuses or rag on a player when things are going bad. Of course its easy to be happy when we're winning, but half of the teams lose everynight. Of course I think its great to discuss WHY we lost...for example "this guy had trouble getting rebounds" rather than "he can't rebound and should never play"......i think we mean well but sometimes don't use the best wording
    Exactly what I was trying to say. Just tired of hearing that a player sucks or isn't smart or whatever. There are lots of ways of stating your case without the personal attacks.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Exactly what I was trying to say. Just tired of hearing that a player sucks or isn't smart or whatever. There are lots of ways of stating your case without the personal attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    Very well put both of you. This would be a great thing to share with everyone. "Sometimes is not what you say, but how you say it!" Open minds, and good wording can really take this site and new threads a long way.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Rookie
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 290
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Completely agree!!!

Psyched about the Clones!!!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think you lose that bet. Parents do browse, just like college coaches do to see what a recruit might be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cato2handjam View Post

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I am really encouraged. The team is ahead of where I expected them to be. They play hard and several different players have stepped up. they are going to continue to improve.

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

theres critical and then theres being overcriticial/borderline arrogant. Like that one guy on here that was calling for Jiri's scholly to be revoked after the UNI game (due to the decency and respect Jeremy requested I will not go into how i feel about that ranter :) ). its very easy for us to b**ch and moan about our players when they aren't performing to our "standards" every single game, but it takes a bigger/true fan to still be supportive in those rough stretches. hence being a TRUE FAN. All im saying is criticism should be accepted but theres no need for arrogance and overblown demands for change.

"To be one's self, and unafraid whether right or wrong, is more admirable than the easy cowardice of surrender to conformity." -Irving Wallace