Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

Exclamation Rober McFarland - New OC?

Just saw this on another site (not premium). Anybody have any solid information on this guy? What kind of offense does he run, etc?

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Rober McFarland - New OC?

Head coach of SFA. His team was top 10 in passing offense i believe. Coached with Chizek at Central Florida. Led them to 2 very impressive wins this year. Record was around .500 this year i believe

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Release when named HC at SFA...good insights on background

Robert McFarland Named Head Coach at Stephen F. Austin

Stephen F. Austin University Media Relations, Rob Myers

Nacogdoches, Texas-- Stephen F. Austin State University athletics director Steve McCarty announced today that Robert McFarland has been named head coach of the Lumberjack football program. McFarland becomes the school's 17th head football coach and will take over the program immediately.

"It gives me great pleasure to introduce Robert McFarland as the next head football coach at Stephen F. Austin. I believe Coach McFarland possesses all the qualities we are looking for in a new head coach and will do an outstanding job in leading the Lumberjack football program to greater heights. Robert has close ties to SFA and his ties to Texas high school football have remained strong," said McCarty.

McFarland comes to SFA after spending the past season at East Carolina University as the offensive line coach. Prior to that he spent four seasons as the offensive line coach and offensive coordinator at the University of Central Florida. During his stay at Central Florida, McFarland's offensive unit was ranked 11th in the nation in total offense and sixth in the nation in pass offense in 2002. The Knights averaged over 436 yards of offense and 32 points per game in 2002.

His offensive unit produced two 1,000-yard receivers and a 1,000-yard rusher in 2002, only the eighth time in NCAA history a team has accomplished that feat.

Central Florida finished ninth in the nation among I-A teams in passing offense in 2001 and was 12th in the nation in passing offense in 2000. During his stay in Orlando, McFarland coached six student-athletes that went on to the NFL.

A former Lumberjack assistant coach, McFarland was the offensive line coach at SFA from 1991 through the 1999 season. During his earlier stint with the ŒJacks, SFA claimed two NCAA playoff appearances and a Southland title in 1999. The ŒJacks advanced to the semifinals of the I-AA playoffs in 1995. SFA led the league in rushing offense four times with McFarland's offensive line leading the way. SFA also set single season records for rushing yards (2,913 yards - 1993) and rushing touchdowns (30 - 1999) while McFarland was a Lumberjack assistant. Four of his former offensive linemen also went on to NFL camps.

Prior to coming to SFA, the 43-year old McFarland made coaching stops at Kent State, Notre Dame and Clemson, coaching teams in the Citrus Bowl, Gator Bowl and Orange Bowl. He has recruited Texas high schools and junior colleges throughout his career and recruited Texas for both Central Florida and East Carolina.

McFarland and his wife, Pam, are the parents to two children, Ashley, 14, and Koy, 9.

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

I'm curious if he runs a spread, or more open, offense. I really think we need to run an offense at ISU that is more spread or 'west-coast' in nature.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You asked for the offensive philosophy....

Robert McFarland, a former SFA assistant coach who has served on staffs at Central Florida and East Carolina the last seven seasons, is in charge of the Lumberjacks.
    His head coaching debut will be Sept. 1, when SFA hosts Division II Henderson State at Homer Bryce Stadium.
    McFarland was named head coach Dec. 13. He replaces former coach Mike Santiago, who was fired after going 39-27 in six seasons.
    McFarland said he welcomes the challenge of turning around SFA's fortunes on the football field. Under Santiago, the Lumberjacks never had a losing season, but they never made the playoffs, either.
    SFA's administration yearns for either league titles or playoff berths preferably both and expects results from McFarland, who inherits a talented group of players.
    "I'm happy to come to a school that is dedicated to winning championships," McFarland said. "Our No. 1 goal is to win a national championship. To get there, you have to get into the playoffs.
    "One of the ways is to win the Southland Conference. Those are the three goals of the football team.
    "Every coach wants to have championship teams. I don't think those are unrealistic expectations."
    Along with heightened expectations of school officials, McFarland's arrival will signal a new brand of football.
    Primarily from his time serving as offensive coordinator at Central Florida, McFarland has an appreciation for the passing game, even though he began his career as an offensive line coach, with a great emphasis on run blocking.
    McFarland said his offense will throw the ball first and run second. The coach said the only predictable part of his approach on offense is that is will be be unpredictable.
    "Throwing the football is a heck-of-a-lot of fun," he said. "It just brings a lot of excitement to the game."

Prospect
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Primarily from his time serving as offensive coordinator at Central Florida, McFarland has an appreciation for the passing game, even though he began his career as an offensive line coach, with a great emphasis on run blocking.
    McFarland said his offense will throw the ball first and run second. The coach said the only predictable part of his approach on offense is that is will be be unpredictable.
    "Throwing the football is a heck-of-a-lot of fun," he said. "It just brings a lot of excitement to the game.

thats what i like to hear

Go Dragons
    Go Clones
    Go Ducks

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

he doesn't seem biased one way or another though, at SFA in the 90s he also had one of the best rushing teams in the nation, he needs to understand that we need a good balance of both, it at least needs to be 60, 40 because of Ames being where it is, Nebraska has learned that over the years and that is why the option remained as the offense after the Ferragamo offense wasn't as succesful, we can pass, but we also need to be able to be a pretty damn succesful running team, we need to run off of the pass!!!!

Big Shawn, Super Clone!

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 225

There is nothing wrong with having a strong emphasis on the passing game, but in Ames you had better be able to run the ball because the wind is always blowing.

Go Cyclones!!

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Well on another thread I was talkin in earlier today we showed some interesting stats. In 05, SFA was signifacantly higher in passing yards that rushing, but in 06, the team became more balanced.

To be honest, I think you will see the exact same offense as ISU runs now. They are a balanced spread that runs first. (Only we got ourselves passing more than we wanted to.) Now with McFarland, you will get the same style, but passes first to set up the run, and wil different formations I bet.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Hoprfully we can get back to having an OL that can actually block. If you watch the games from when Troy Davis ran, there were big holes to run through.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The Oline holds the key. Without that, no offense will work.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

You guys have a great OC in McFarland. He is a great coach, and you guys are lucky to have him.
    He dosnt really run the spread its more of a pro I. We ran the ball about 60 to 65% of the time this past year. He is an increadable O line coach and and even better recruiter. He didnt post up all that great of a recored for the past two years here because he had nothing to work with when he came in. But because of him in just two years we can easily win the southland conference next year. You guys have a great coach.Your very lucky. Good luck next year.

Axem Jacks

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Jacks thanks for sharing your insight. Would classify him as a more aggresive play caller or conservative?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thats a good question that I would like to get an answer to.

To think about it, our play style wasnt really the problem, it was the over conservative play calling that may have cost us some games.

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I think not figuring out that Kock was our best running back until the last game of his career was a problem and a bad OL was a problem. I don't care who the new coaches are as long as we can handle the fundamentals and maximize the players abilities.

Okay, I want to win as well.