Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

Fate of Assistants

Curious what everybody's take is on whether Chizik would dump an assistant or have his loyalty to his friends go down with the ship. If this program isn't turned around his head coaching aspirations will stop in Ames, at least for quite awhile.

Our defense is currently ranked 109 in the country and that's got to be bugging the heck out of him considering his background and reputation. McFarland's opened up the offense taking some heat off himself, but I'm wondering about Bolt's fate. Does he stay, go, or stay with Chizik being much more hands on. Yes the cupboard is bare on that side of the ball, but I'm not sure it accounts for us being that horrible. There are only 3 D-I teams worse than us in pass efficiency defense. Interesting that Washington is dead last.

BTW...the NCAA has a great team by team page with stats (NCAA).

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 9

Re: Fate of Assistants

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    Curious what everybody's take is on whether Chizik would dump an assistant or have his loyalty to his friends go down with the ship. If this program isn't turned around his head coaching aspirations will stop in Ames, at least for quite awhile.

Our defense is currently ranked 109 in the country and that's got to be bugging the heck out of him considering his background and reputation. McFarland's opened up the offense taking some heat off himself, but I'm wondering about Bolt's fate. Does he stay, go, or stay with Chizik being much more hands on. Yes the cupboard is bare on that side of the ball, but I'm not sure it accounts for us being that horrible. There are only 3 D-I teams worse than us in pass efficiency defense. Interesting that Washington is dead last.

BTW...the NCAA has a great team by team page with stats (NCAA).

I think we will see some very good defenses when Bolt gets the horses to compete...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 122

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    I think we will see some very good defenses when Bolt gets the horses to compete...
    That's pretty much where I go on this discussion too. I don't quite believe that we have the talent (or had the time to recruit the talent) needed to win in the big 12. We don't have enough guys that look like big 12 caliber players on our team, especially on the interior D.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 9

If we just had safeties that could stick to their assignments we would have a MUCH better defense. It seems like every game you hear the announcers say, "he thought he had safety help" or "he got behind the safety". I think the announcers this week were actually a little schocked at just how bad our safeties were in coverage.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 676
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    Yes the cupboard is bare on that side of the ball, but I'm not sure it accounts for us being that horrible.
    I'd have to think it would be a rather substantial contributing factor!

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 39

McFarland's stock has definitely risen the last two weeks. I wish we were better in the red zone but we're not exactly loaded on offense so it's not all his fault. Defensively, I don't know. Bolt surely won't get fired after year 2 but if things aren't improved next year, regardless if he has horses or not he will be out IMO. Is it fair? Probably not but someone has to take the fall eventually and it's not going to be Chizik.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 887
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

I hate being a part of the rumor mill and I was actually going to post this early last week but again the RUMOR is that Bolt will either be reassigned or let go and that Mike Pelton will become d-coordinator. The players really respect Pelton apparently. Take it for what its worth but I don't want people getting upset with me because I threw out something I heard.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 17

At times it looks like Chizik and Bolt have heated talks on the sidelines, but I maybe looking too much into that. Some think Bolt and Chizik have different thoughts on what a defense should do. Bolt likes to blitz a lot Chizik hate to blitz, stuff like that. If a change is needed I hope both parties realize it and that change is made.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    I hate being a part of the rumor mill and I was actually going to post this early last week but again the RUMOR is that Bolt will either be reassigned or let go and that Mike Pelton will become d-coordinator. The players really respect Pelton apparently. Take it for what its worth but I don't want people getting upset with me because I threw out something I heard.
    I could see that, although I don't necessarily think it is fair. I like that Pelton guy a lot though. He is always coaching his tail off during games, getting player's attention without too much yelling, teaching and explaining a lot. I think he seems to have that "player's coach" thing about him. He is always chatting up the guys.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

If we just had safeties that could stick to their assignments we would have a MUCH better defense
    I feel bad for our safeties. They get blamed for all the deep balls, and for being out of position, and that they aren't sticking to their assignments. In reality, the problem with our defense is 3 fold:

1: no pass rush. The Tampa 2 relies on being able to get to the QB with an outside passrush and to get their quickly. Guys like Dwight Freeney for Indy are exactly what you need for the Tampa 2, and is exactly why Indy's first pick in the 2002 draft was Freeney. We do not have a DE on our team right now that is even remotely capable of this and this is simply a matter of recruiting.

2: Terrible MLB pass coverage. I love Jessie Smith's effort and he is rock solid at stopping the run, but he has TERRIBLE pass coverage and in the Tampa 2 you absolutely, without question, require a MLB capable of reading a play and getting into coverage. This is why I feel bad for our Safeties. They are indeed out of position on many plays, but it's because our MLB is just way, way too slow and out of position to get back to cover the deep middle. His responsibility on a pass play is deep over the middle and I can't remember now how many times he's been about 20 yards to shallow. This forces the Safeties to cheat to the middle but they screwed having to cover both deep middle and the entire sideline. I agree that the safeties look bad, but the problem is with the MLB. If we could get a FAST MLB (possibly moving Raven over next year) that is better than Jessie at reading and reacting then we our safety play will immediately be better.

3: DT must be more athletic. In the Tampa 2, the interior Defensive Lineman are responsible for the run; because the MLB has to drop into coverage, your tackles must be able to consume the middle of the line giving the MLB an easier read on the play, we simply do not have the horses in the middle to be able to pull this off yet.

In total, we simply don't have the personnel on the field to run our defense. It would be surprising to me to see any assistants or Bolt released when they need time to groom players into the system they are running. The same goes for the offense, we are just beginning to put the pieces in place now. The offense is further along than the D right now and it shows with some glimmers of what we might be seeing in a year or two.

Starter
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think it's too early to make any coordinator changes. I do know that our defense looked quite a bit better last year with Rubin, Braaksma, Bowen, and Banks in the front seven.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433
    Given: 234

Too early. We are in year two of a complete rebuild. Why on earth would we want to change things up and start the learning process over?

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,583
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I won't fault our D TOO much for being horrible against the pass. I mean look at the conference we are playing in. 8 Big 12 teams are in the top 25 in Pass Efficiency, with Okie State being #2 in the nation. (FWIW, the Big 12 has the #2,3,4 and 5 pass efficiency Os in the nation). Only 2 teams in the conference have Pass Efficiency ratings lower than 35.

Comparing that stat to the other Big 12 teams, yeah we are the worst- but not by THAT much. Nebraska is 96. Missouri is 92. Baylor is 91. A&M is 84. K-State is 83. Texas is 80. Even the best team in the conference in that category is Oklahoma at 34.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,176
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

why do you think we are recruiting guys with speed now?? we are lacking the speed we need to keep up with the big 12 passing games.. from little that i have gathered.. its seems like we are just strait up getting beat off the line at every pos on the defensive side.. get more speed.. and get fundamentals down.. team should be greatly improved.. from what i have gathered to me it just seems like we are just missing a couple key guys.. i say give it another year

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    If we just had safeties that could stick to their assignments we would have a MUCH better defense. It seems like every game you hear the announcers say, "he thought he had safety help" or "he got behind the safety". I think the announcers this week were actually a little schocked at just how bad our safeties were in coverage.
    This is so true our saftey's are terrible. Hunley can hit but he is always making the wrong read on pass coverage and leaving guys wide open.

Kyle S. Flander