Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 70

Chizik and the money

It is funny how much the local media is all over the money that ISU ponie up for the Chizik hire. The $1.1 million for his salary is $100K less than ISU would have paid to have Mac back next year. The $1.5 million for the rest of the coaching staff is $160K more than the Mac staff was being paid. Bear in mind if ISU's team would have won 6 or 7 games Mac and his guys would have probably more than gobbled up the difference in raises and bonuses.

Now I know there are a lot of incentives built into the contract. Some article claimed ISU could be paying out as much as $10 million over the next 6years. The thing that the article doesn't say is that to get to that level ISU would have to do some unheard of things like BCS bowls. If ISU can get to that level under Chizik, money won't be as big an issue as it is right now.

Now look to the east where KF in going to make $4.2 million this year! He got a $75,000 bonus this year for going 6-6! His asst. coaches probably get pretty darn close to the $1.5 million everyone is so stunned about. I don't see a lot of media concern about any of this.

JP took a chance on a guy that has the potential to turn ISU FB into something big. He may fail, but it won't be for lack of trying or having a plan. If BVD was still at ISU the athlete department would be slowly grinding into dust with Morgan and Mac still at the helm.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Chizik and the money

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    Now look to the east where KF in going to make $4.2 million this year! He got a $75,000 bonus this year for going 6-6! His asst. coaches probably get pretty darn close to the $1.5 million everyone is so stunned about. I don't see a lot of media concern about any of this.

I agree, good post. The thing is Iowa can afford $4.2 when they sell out 75,000 seats per game. The real question is are they getting a decent return on their investment with KF. This season I would say NO. But as a whole I would have to say YES.

BVD was so far out of his element and in way over his head. Funny how when a go-getter is put in the same position things happen. Some have the ability, some do not. Happy to see all the recent changes in the Athletic Dept. It was long over due.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    JP took a chance on a guy that has the potential to turn ISU FB into something big. He may fail, but it won't be for lack of trying or having a plan. If BVD was still at ISU the athlete department would be slowly grinding into dust with Morgan and Mac still at the helm.
    Exactly! JP is taking a chance in an attempt to make this program GREAT. He told us to raise our expectations and that mediocrity was no longer acceptable. He has lived up to his word. As for BVD, you are completely correct. We would be watching another year of WM basketball and DM would still be patrolling the sidelines. Meanwhile, BVD would be trying to figure out how to balance the budget on season FB ticket sales of around 15 - 20 K.

URBCLONE

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Actually, the Iowa assistant coaches base salaries(9 plus Chris Doyle), is right at $1.75 million. They also are locked into a guaranteed 9% raise each year--due to KF's most recent contract. Just like ISU coaches, they get bonuses, money from football camp and KF has a 100-150K kitty to divy out however he wants.

Folks, it is just a cost of doing business.

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

I realize this comment is a bit off topic but I still think of those underwear commercials when ever I see BVD anywhere.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 717
    Given: 484

I think Pollard learned a lot while he was at Wisconsin. Look at UW. Always a contender in all relevant sports. I think he's at the very least duplicating what's there here, if not actually shooting the moon in the process.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.