View Poll Results: Who belongs in the title game vs. OSU?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • USC

    49 62.03%
  • Florida

    11 13.92%
  • Michigan

    17 21.52%
  • Louisville

    0 0%
  • Rutgers

    0 0%
  • Wisconsin

    0 0%
  • Boise State

    2 2.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 335,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,730
    Points
    335,044
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    Assuming the teams listed with games yet to play win out, who belongs in the title game to face Ohio State?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 94,590, Level: 95
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,671
    Points
    94,590
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    I know some people don't want to see a rematch but after watching the OSU/Michigan game I don't doubt that Michigan is the 2nd best team in the country. What if that loss had come a month earlier? They are still the best 1 loss team in the country even if that loss was their most recent game.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 335,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,730
    Points
    335,044
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    What if that loss had come a month earlier?
    IMO, that is the key. It's all the timing as far as where the voters are voting right now.

    While I'm not excited about a rematch, I think it does put the 2 best teams together. And that is the goal of the BCS, right?

    USC is getting too much credit for dismantling a not-as-good-as-most-people-think Fighting Irish team.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 253,017, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,541
    Points
    253,017
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 0

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    I agree that Michigan might be the second best team in the nation, but it's not about that to me. They already had their chance. USC is playing great, and with the exception of what has to be considered a fluke win they could be undefeated. I think they deserve a shot more than Michigan deserves a shot x2.




  5. #5
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mahomet, IL
    Posts
    188
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    Wisconsin???

    What about the Sooners who got screwed in Oregon.

    Is much as I hate to admit it, USC is pretty good. Providing they beat UCLA, I believe they should go. If the right teams win Saturday (Arkansas and Nebraska) they will have already beaten 2 Conference Champs. With that being said I am pulling for UCLA and a rematch with Michigan.


    When I told the folks back home I was going to Auchtermuchty, they said "Wear the Fox Hat"

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 312,335, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    bawbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    18,117
    Points
    312,335
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 378
    Given: 935

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    And that is the goal of the BCS, right?
    Not really. The goal of the BCS is to make money, pure and simple.



  7. #7
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    Where's the hawkeyes?



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 94,590, Level: 95
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CYdTracked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    8,671
    Points
    94,590
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    Quote Originally Posted by bawbie View Post
    Not really. The goal of the BCS is to make money, pure and simple.
    Another reason an 8 team playoff would settle any controversy. If you seed OSU #1 and Michigan and USC either #2 or #3 then the only way you get to a rematch is by taking care of business on the field and not through a stupid computer calculation.



  9. #9
    Walk On
    Points: 10,467, Level: 30
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    171
    Points
    10,467
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    I disagree that Michigan is no. 2 - remember, the only good teams that they have beaten are Notre Dame and Wisconsin. As it stands now, looking at objective facts, I would put USC #2, Florida #3 and Michigan #4. The reason is simple if you look at the quality of the opponents that they have played throughout the year.

    If USC wins, they will be 11-1 with a schedule consisting of 10 BCS Conference/ND BOWL ELIGIBLE schools with the other games being against 5-7 Washington and lowly Stanford. That means they had to beat decent quality opponents week in and week out.

    Florida almost rivals USC's schedule in that if they beat Arkansas, they will be 11-1 playing 9 BCS Conference Bowl Eligible schools, including a stretch of 6 games in a row. BTW - Florida reminds me of the Ohio State championship team that beat Miami - they win ugly, but the key is, they win. They are well coached and have a solid defense and special teams to go with an offense that does just enough.

    Michigan has played only 6 games against BCS Conference Bowl Eligible schools, including Iowa and Minnesota, with their longest streak of "quality" games being 3 in a row. That means they only had to show up with their decent game 1/2 of the season. Does anybody really believe had they played a quality opponent when they played Ball State that they would have won? In all honesty, Michigan is one of the schools I root for after ISU, but the facts speak for themselves.

    If only the NCAA could learn the word "Playoffs" for D-1 FB.



  10. #10
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 274,249, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,169
    Points
    274,249
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 74

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    It should be USC as much as I don't like them.

    They have beaten:
    Arkansas AT Arkansas 50-14
    Nebraska 28-10
    Oregon 35-10
    Cal 23-9
    Notre Dame 44-24

    Michigan has beaten:
    Notre Dame
    Wisconsin

    Better resume IMO. Plus I still think you should win your conference before playing for the national title. Michigan had their shot, now let's let USC have theirs.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 335,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,730
    Points
    335,044
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    klerme, you make a phenomenal point. It is very difficult to dispute your logic.

    I still think Michigan is the 2nd best team in the nation having watched them play - especially vs. OSU.

    However, they haven't been battle tested weekly like USC and Florida.

    Great post!



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 13,644, Level: 35
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,011
    Points
    13,644
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    There's a flaw in arguments claiming Michigan must be number two because of the head to head they had with the team ranked number 1. That flaw is automatically assuming Ohio State is the best team in the nation. They haven't played the same schedule that USC has, or Florida has. Maybe they're better, or maybe they're not. However, if USC plays, and destroys Ohio State, can there be a logical argument that claims OSU is still the better team?

    My point is, we know how close Michigan and Ohio State, but don't we need to find out how close USC, or Florida and Ohio State are?



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 135,716, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    clones_jer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    8,337
    Points
    135,716
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoClone View Post
    There's a flaw in arguments claiming Michigan must be number two because of the head to head they had with the team ranked number 1. That flaw is automatically assuming Ohio State is the best team in the nation. They haven't played the same schedule that USC has, or Florida has. Maybe they're better, or maybe they're not. However, if USC plays, and destroys Ohio State, can there be a logical argument that claims OSU is still the better team?

    My point is, we know how close Michigan and Ohio State, but don't we need to find out how close USC, or Florida and Ohio State are?
    Exactly. That Texas win looks less impressive with every passing week. What happens if Florida or USC CRUSHES Ohio State? Maybe, just maybe the Big Ten was overrated this year ... maybe that big 1-2 matchup between OSU-MICH was really the 3-4 matchup which made it a good game. Personally I dislike all of the top 4 teams involved, but for proof of a champion I think you have to go with USC or Florida



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 13,644, Level: 35
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,011
    Points
    13,644
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    Exactly. That Texas win looks less impressive with every passing week. What happens if Florida or USC CRUSHES Ohio State? Maybe, just maybe the Big Ten was overrated this year ... maybe that big 1-2 matchup between OSU-MICH was really the 3-4 matchup which made it a good game. Personally I dislike all of the top 4 teams involved, but for proof of a champion I think you have to go with USC or Florida
    Right. Also, if you go with a rematch, and Michigan wins, then what the hell do you do. You have multiple 1 loss teams, including two that have played each other and beat each other. What a mess that would be. Michigan had a shot and lost. Give a shot to someone else.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 32,785, Level: 55
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CloneFan65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,241
    Points
    32,785
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Poll: Who belongs in the title game?

    With the tougher schedule, if USC beats UCLA they definitely deserve the chance to play OSU. If this happens I give USC a good chance. I didn't think OSU's defense looked that great against Michigan, so I don't think they can shut down USC. I'm hoping for this match-up. I think it could be a shoot-out.


    "THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM