Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

pathetic eastern Iowa radio coverage

So I'm sitting here in Bettendorf listening to the post game show...watching the Tar Heals beat the Schmuckeyes... Mac's on his way out and the station (some lame piece of crap from across the river) decides to cut away to their ultra-lib programing. Typically frustrating. Unless you've lived in the Quad Cities for 20 or so years, you can't even understand how pathetic the coverage has been. A bunch of us fans button-holed Brucey Boy in the parking lot of a spring Cyclone Club meeting five years ago in an unsuccessful effort to get something done about it. Of course like so many other areas, VanDeVelde did nothing. So far I'm impressed with Pollard's ability to make things happen. If ISU is going to recruit the good athletes on this side of the state, they first have to be able to hear/view the games. That means a commitment to DEPENDABLE radio coverage that doesn't sign-off at 6 PM or cut-away when the head coach is about to talk about his inaugural return to his former school.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 263

Re: pathetic eastern Iowa radio coverage

You mean we need more than a billboard? WE have the Rag and the Gazette. Seriously, if I was JP, I would let Davenport and Dubuque stations broadcast for free.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 674
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 116

Quote Originally Posted by Blandboy View Post
    So I'm sitting here in Bettendorf listening to the post game show...watching the Tar Heals beat the Schmuckeyes... Mac's on his way out and the station (some lame piece of crap from across the river) decides to cut away to their ultra-lib programing. Typically frustrating. Unless you've lived in the Quad Cities for 20 or so years, you can't even understand how pathetic the coverage has been. A bunch of us fans button-holed Brucey Boy in the parking lot of a spring Cyclone Club meeting five years ago in an unsuccessful effort to get something done about it. Of course like so many other areas, VanDeVelde did nothing. So far I'm impressed with Pollard's ability to make things happen. If ISU is going to recruit the good athletes on this side of the state, they first have to be able to hear/view the games. That means a commitment to DEPENDABLE radio coverage that doesn't sign-off at 6 PM or cut-away when the head coach is about to talk about his inaugural return to his former school.

Do like my brother in law (an isu alum) who lives in Texas. Buy a Sirius Satellite radio and it doesnt matter where you live. Heck in the old days I couldnt get nite games on KIOA and I live 20 miles from Hilton, how pathetic was that?

And I agree that the sign of a big time college athletic program is at least StateWide radio coverage! If you cant do that...well your program is NOT big time by today's standards!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 263

Very good comment. Statewide coverage at the minimum. Light it up in Council Bluffs and Davenport for all games on decent stations. With all the sports stations out there, it should not be a problem. Broadcasting Hawk games in CB is fine also. Give us some space age options. Internet is fine, but do more.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Prospect
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

We live in Cascade IA and you might as well forget about getting any radio at night. For those who already have Sirius radios, does it work well? Are all the games on?

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Let's face it, Eastern Iowa fans, the Hawks own this part of Iowa. Our local radio station is carrying ISU games this year, but it is more about GMac than ISU. The excuse is often given, "Can't get advertisers" but I think it is more, "don't want to upset Hawkeye fans." I haven't seen a basketball game on TV yet. Fox in Iowa City doesn't extend this far north, And KCRG doesn't consider us worthy, instead they are backing the Hawkeye women. Can you imagine anyone who would rather watch the Hawkeye women instead of the ISU men?

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    Can you imagine anyone who would rather watch the Hawkeye women instead of the ISU men?

Dang, the Hawkettes can't be that ugly, can they?

Recruit
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Just caught this thread .... been busy trying to find a radio station! Seriously, Cylcone fans in eastern Iowa have put up with several radio stations in the area broadcasting the Hawkeyes for a long time. I think this will change with JP. He's the one that can do it! All you Cyclones in Eastern Iowa, let JP know! The QC Times did pretty good this year with football from ISU; much better than the past years.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by 2LM4CY View Post
    We live in Cascade IA and you might as well forget about getting any radio at night. For those who already have Sirius radios, does it work well? Are all the games on?
    I live in NW Arkansas and bought into Sirius in July. I got most of the ISU games but not all of them (unless I missed them for some reason). Sirius will also give you a 'game alert' when Iowa State is set to play.

I'm a big fan of Sirius, not only for the ISU games, but for the other features they offer as well.