Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thoughts on the game

Jiri was rusty. Or just plain out stunk. Kept shooting 18 footers in the first half and I was asking for him to look to score inside. So he shot some layups and missed. He was last year and still appears to be a head case. Just not mentally tough.

We made McKowen look like an All-Star. And an all-star he is not. He is an average player. Would be surprised if he is even an all conference player. I know he carried and got every call you could possibly imagine, but how are our quick guards getting beat by him? Shut him down!! Dont let him go baseline.

Clark learn how to dribble!! Other than that, not to bad a performance. Doesn't play man ball D very good, but had nice blocks, hit some nice 3's and rebounded.

Mcintosh is not a Big 12 guard. To small. Gets blocked everytime he goes to the lane.

Taylor. World of talent, but he just doesnt get it sometimes. I know he got in a foul trouble but he dribbles a tad to much. Needs to slash more. Falls in love with bad 3's. I know he was hot for 2 games but he has not been for 5 of the games. We will rise and fall with the play of this guy. The more he understands the game the better we will be.

Jessan Gray. Getting better everygame. Rebounded well. Played decent D. Crashed the offensive glass, and can hit the 3. I don't think it will be to long before he is in the starting line up. Lanky arms, and understands the game

Dodie is going to be Dodie, and Cory Johnson is going to be Cory. Anything we get out of them is a plus. i would actually much rather see Dodie in there than Mcintosh.

By the way the refs stunk. Nothing but homer calls for UNI. Taylors carry. McKowens non carry's. Taylor getting fouled when shooting and it not being called. And then the 4 offensive fouls they didnt call against UNI. Not to mention the ref trying to pick a fight with Mcintosh in the second half

All in all there was some positives and negatives with this game. I think it showed the team we can be successful with Taylor on the bench (although we desperately need him to play well) and I think some guys are going to start understanding what shots are good and what shots aren't good for their game. I think we beat Drake and Iowa the next two games.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Thoughts on the game

im not looking forward to playin ohio state after watching them at the moment. we've got alot of work to do.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

how can you not mention wesley?...one of the only bright spots of the game i would say

ISU ROCKS!!!!

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

oh yeah and wesley is going to be a stud. put some weight on him. tone those skills and we have a legit player. The guy can play. He will up and down throughout the year but a lot of promise

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

Pretty good summary.

Jiri looked bad.

Jessan looked good as did Wesley. I don't know why people are alwasy criticizing Gray. He has lots of upside.

Clark was his normal consistent self with a double double.

Taylor didn't score much and that was the biggest difference tonight that the past games.

The fact is that this team needed to lose in a tough game to learn more about themselves. They have good film to look at now to figure out what is not working.

Also, everyone needs to keep in mind that this is a patchwork last minute team that Mac assembled and the team will struggle at times. This year will be hard to watch but the future is bright.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Pro
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 136

I was surprised at how impatient we were at times. Jiri shot too much, and we gave up some transition baskets. Just did not play well, give UNI credit they played like the veteran team tonight. Wesley Johnson was good tonight. Wonder why Cory Johnson didn't play more. Just some of my thoughts. I am watching OSU-UNC right now and my jaw keeps hitting the floor, what a game!!!

Go Cyclones!!

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I think the main reason that Cory Johnson didnt play more is b/c he is our worst interior Defender and Stout and Coleman would have ate him alive. Our other guys are lanky and athletic enough to get away with it. He is still young, but right now he needs to get better position down low. When he was in early on in the game he got beat 2 times in a row and than got yanked

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Was Jiri something like 3 for 19 ? Lord, could Mac have gotten to him and "suggested" that maybe tonite was not his nite to put up 20 shots?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 357

Quote Originally Posted by seneca4MVP View Post
    Jiri was rusty. Or just plain out stunk. Kept shooting 18 footers in the first half and I was asking for him to look to score inside. So he shot some layups and missed. He was last year and still appears to be a head case. Just not mentally tough.

We made McKowen look like an All-Star. And an all-star he is not. He is an average player. Would be surprised if he is even an all conference player. I know he carried and got every call you could possibly imagine, but how are our quick guards getting beat by him? Shut him down!! Dont let him go baseline.

Clark learn how to dribble!! Other than that, not to bad a performance. Doesn't play man ball D very good, but had nice blocks, hit some nice 3's and rebounded.

Mcintosh is not a Big 12 guard. To small. Gets blocked everytime he goes to the lane.

Taylor. World of talent, but he just doesnt get it sometimes. I know he got in a foul trouble but he dribbles a tad to much. Needs to slash more. Falls in love with bad 3's. I know he was hot for 2 games but he has not been for 5 of the games. We will rise and fall with the play of this guy. The more he understands the game the better we will be.

Jessan Gray. Getting better everygame. Rebounded well. Played decent D. Crashed the offensive glass, and can hit the 3. I don't think it will be to long before he is in the starting line up. Lanky arms, and understands the game

Dodie is going to be Dodie, and Cory Johnson is going to be Cory. Anything we get out of them is a plus. i would actually much rather see Dodie in there than Mcintosh.

By the way the refs stunk. Nothing but homer calls for UNI. Taylors carry. McKowens non carry's. Taylor getting fouled when shooting and it not being called. And then the 4 offensive fouls they didnt call against UNI. Not to mention the ref trying to pick a fight with Mcintosh in the second half

All in all there was some positives and negatives with this game. I think it showed the team we can be successful with Taylor on the bench (although we desperately need him to play well) and I think some guys are going to start understanding what shots are good and what shots aren't good for their game. I think we beat Drake and Iowa the next two games.
    Actully I am surprised how many bad shots this team does take. Defense is fine, rebounding might get by, offense is bottom level in Big 12. Do not hit my rep, but I would have thought mcD would have reined in some of therse free spirits by now like Jiri. We do not need Jiri shooting threes. Eight other people can do that as well. I really feel bad to say Cory is too small also. If you are small you better be able to jump high, be very quick, or shoot great. Nebraska was able to use some really small people the last few years, but they had an inside presence. we do not until Brackins and Thompson arrive. Ohio State? Sit on the ball as much as possible IMO.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Forget the negatives, how bout Clark's defense?

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I really don't mind seeing Jiri shoot 3's. Just smart ones. I think as far as pure shooting goes, he might be one of our best. That being said he needs to be much much smarter. I really would rather have Jiri shoot a wide open 3 than Taylor. Call me crazy and I know tonight didnt show it but I think he has a good stroke. Just a dumb, soft, mentally weak player

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Clarks away from the ball de is good. His on ball DE stinks. Shuffles his feet way to slow

Addict
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 828
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 56

I'm okay with how they are playing at this point in the season and this early in McD's tenure. We got some young guys showing some potential. It'll just take a bit for McD's coaching to get set with these guys.

Fanatic #25

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by seneca4MVP View Post
    I really don't mind seeing Jiri shoot 3's. Just smart ones. I think as far as pure shooting goes, he might be one of our best. That being said he needs to be much much smarter. I really would rather have Jiri shoot a wide open 3 than Taylor. Call me crazy and I know tonight didnt show it but I think he has a good stroke. Just a dumb, soft, mentally weak player
    Key words = soft, mentally weak. Totally agree. Thought he really hurt the team with rushed shots tonight. Liked Jessan Gray and Wesley Johnson's games. Figured it would be tough in the UNI dome and it was. ISU had its chances, but just couldn't convert offensively.

URBCLONE

Addict
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 2

I think Jiri thought that his name was Mike Taylor by the way he was taking so many shots. And on the flip side, I think Mike Taylor didn't know he was allowed to shoot. We took a lot of bad shots (including ones where no one was in position for a rebound, i.e., Jiri's 3's) and the ref's were 100% biased to UNI, that was the difference in the game.