Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Whitney Williams

so is she the real deal? is she going to be an impact player? im guessing is very good if BF is going to let her lead the team at the point espeically with how good lacey did at the point last year... and how good is alexis yacky???

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 585

Re: Whitney Williams

Quote Originally Posted by runningcy View Post
    so is she the real deal? is she going to be an impact player? im guessing is very good if BF is going to let her lead the team at the point espeically with how good lacey did at the point last year... and how good is alexis yacky???

I think she is. Saw her scrimmage this summer. She is money from 3. but that shouldn't shock anybody. She looks to be someone who is always striving to be better and feels she can get better in that makes any sense.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 22

agree, she is money from 3, over 40% if I recall correctly and averaged over 4 made 3s per game, and quicker than anyone else from what I understand. I think she was a real steal from the recruiting perspective, yeah she was home school, but see quote, and she played down in Texas which is real competitive.

" won the national homeschool championship as a junior and senior and was tournament MVP both years ... team was the national homeschool championship runner-up her freshman and sophomore campaigns ... scored 3,630 career points and hit 569 three-pointers ... drilled 198 treys and turned in 1,201 points for a 23.5 ppg average as a junior, leading her team to a 40-11 overall mark ... posted 19.1 points per game as a senior ... started all four seasons of her prep career ... four-time national homeschool all-American ... won the Pete Maravich Award as a senior ..."

BF doesn't just let anyone run point guard. Let's face it, we have 3 great wings, Ezell, Aus, Bolte, one of which will be on the bench for WW to run point, so she must be the real deal. Lex is good too, and will probably be back-up, along with Stuckey. We'll have to see how games go and who is the better in-game player.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Whitney is miles ahead of Alexis at this point...while Alexis will get some minutes, most of the time when WW needs a break it will be Aus (or in extreme cases Ezell) sliding over to run the 1.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I don't know why, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ezell play just as much point as Lacey this season. Just a gut feeling based on absolutely nothing. Hopefully Williams and Yackley play point well enough that Ezell/Lacey can spend all of their time at wing.

In case anyone wonders whether Williams faced real competition playing for THESA, this article might calm your fears:

http://newsok.com/article/3217078/1205721404

In the girls title game, Iowa State signee Whitney Williams and Taber Spani, who's being recruited by women's college basketball's big two — UConn and Tennessee — squared off.

UConn coach Geno Auriemma was in the stands Friday watching Spani's semifinal game.

Saturday, both players scored 39 points — and Spani added 16 rebounds — but Williams got the better end with a 74-62 win for her THESA Riders over Spani's Kansas City Metro.
    The Riders went 1-1 against teams who made the state tournament in Texas' Class 5A, that state's largest classification.
    Spani ended up choosing Tennessee over offers from UConn and Kansas State.

Last edited by mred; 10-28-2008 at 03:16 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 765
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the plan all along was to put Lacey back on the wing, which is her natural position. I don't think it's a case of where anyone has beaten out Lacey, just that BF feels he can do what they had planned to do all along with Lacey now that they have a couple of players who are true point guards.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bipolarcy View Post
    I think the plan all along was to put Lacey back on the wing, which is her natural position. I don't think it's a case of where anyone has beaten out Lacey, just that BF feels he can do what they had planned to do all along with Lacey now that they have a couple of players who are true point guards.
    This is true. BF said at ISU media day that he wants Lacey at wing, Lacey wants to play at wing, and any shot Lacey has at playing pro ball is at wing. As a result, she's playing wing.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,485
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    This is true. BF said at ISU media day that he wants Lacey at wing, Lacey wants to play at wing, and any shot Lacey has at playing pro ball is at wing. As a result, she's playing wing.
    Well said. You have many less questions is you watch coach press conferences online, it doesn't matter what sport. Clone Zone is great.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 19

Whitney's family used to go to my church, and a number of people at my church still have close ties to her family. Needless to say, the are a number of new Cyclone fans in Arlington (some who might even be lurking here!) who are excited at the prospect of her getting good minutes, and a Whitney watch party or two have already been scheduled...

Good kid, hard worker, and good family...hard to beat that...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post

Good kid, hard worker, and good family...hard to beat that...
    Good to hear that she comes from good stock.

Looking forward to the season.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 584
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 22

I don't know why, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ezell play just as much point as Lacey this season. Just a gut feeling based on absolutely nothing. Hopefully Williams and Yackley play point well enough that Ezell/Lacey can spend all of their time at wing.

In case anyone wonders whether Williams faced real competition playing for THESA, this article might calm your fears:

http://newsok.com/article/3217078/1205721404

Spani ended up choosing Tennessee over offers from UConn and Kansas State.
    Great post MRed. BF knows his point guards....If he thinks a freshman can start and handle ISU's point with all the plays she will have to know to run, then she has got to have skills. It will be interesting to see who runs at back-up. It will probably depend on who we are playing, but with all the depth, I doubt Lacey will be at point much, that was the whole point of moving her to wing, was to free her energy up for scoring.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know why, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ezell play just as much point as Lacey this season. Just a gut feeling based on absolutely nothing.
    Fennelly made a statement in a cyclones.com article today that confirmed my suspicion.

Whitney and Alexis are very talented,” Fennelly said. “They want to do it. They’re not intimidated by it. Heather (Ezell) will help them. We will use her there some. We are really trying to keep Aus (Lacey) off that spot if we can. For her to be the kind of player she can be and for her to have a great career at Iowa State and beyond, she needs to be a wing player.

Roles Key to Cyclone Women's Hoops Success - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - Iowa State Cyclones Sports

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 5

A few years ago we had another Texas girl start as a freshman. We won a Big 12 regular season and two tournament titles while she was around.

She didn't play point, she was more like Bolte.

Tracy Gahan for those who might not have caught on yet.

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

She is young and inexperienced, so she can't really compete this year, but...

Oops I thought this was the FB board.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

I got the honors of playing with Whitney on the Thesa team two years ago and it was by far the best experience ever. I have seen Whitney work so hard for what she is so passionate about, and when you are that passionate about something... nobody can stop you from getting to where you want to go with it. She is a great leader on and off the court. ISU is so lucky to have her... i know she will make yall proud!

Good luck Whit! Congrats on making those dreams come true... You deserve it more than anyone I know!