Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Tampa 2

There are people saying that Chizik will be installing a Tampa 2 defense. What are people's thoughts on this? Do we have good enough athletes to run an aggressive defense like this? We've had some quick guys the last few years, but what is everybody else's opinion?

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 91

Re: Tampa 2

IM guessing he will run whatever he thinks our current guys can handle. Chizik isnt a one trick pony. I think our current roster has more of an ability than we have seen. they just need to be pushed and guided. If he wants to create some special defenses downt the road, im sure he will recruit what he needs. Regardless it gets better from here.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    There are people saying that Chizik will be installing a Tampa 2 defense. What are people's thoughts on this? Do we have good enough athletes to run an aggressive defense like this? We've had some quick guys the last few years, but what is everybody else's opinion?
    I think initially we'll continue to struggle because we won't have the benefit of a recruiting class that'll cater to Tampa 2's style. Monte Kiffin employs it with the Tampa Bay Bucs, and they're proof that it's not for every team. It needs a speedy MLB to cover the deep middle and physical, very fast, and confident CB's that can bump receivers off routes to be successful.

In short, it'll probably take a couple years to fully employ it. However, we'll undoubtedly see improvement in our defense next year. Nothing could be as excruciatingly maddening than the 10 yard cushion we've been giving up this past year

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 928
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 10

Tampa 2 requires the front 4 to put pressure on the QB. It was a weakness this year and Morehead is gone. I don't expect to see a true Tampa 2 in year 1. There is a chance if the young guys develop and chizik is able to snag some impressive recruits who are ready to play right away.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Dumb question here, but from what I gather the Tampa 2 Defense is basically a "bump and run" (cover 2) defense without the "bump"?

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by herbicide View Post
    Dumb question here, but from what I gather the Tampa 2 Defense is basically a "bump and run" (cover 2) defense without the "bump"?
    For the uninitated Sports Illustrateds latest issue covers the Tampa 2 pretty well. The defense works well with the right athletes.

You need a middle linbacker that tackles everything in sight.
    Outside linbackers with wheels.
    Safties that can cover a lot of ground.

Basically the defense takes a lot of pressure off of cornerbacks by allowing them to play tight coverage for only a short distance before handing off to a OLB or safety.

I'm far from an expert, but I think thats the jist of it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 49

Hopefully we run a Raven-2 defense. Tampa bay sucks this year.

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    For the uninitated Sports Illustrateds latest issue covers the Tampa 2 pretty well. The defense works well with the right athletes.

You need a middle linbacker that tackles everything in sight.
    Outside linbackers with wheels.
    Safties that can cover a lot of ground.

Basically the defense takes a lot of pressure off of cornerbacks by allowing them to play tight coverage for only a short distance before handing off to a OLB or safety.

I'm far from an expert, but I think thats the jist of it.
    This sounds pretty good to me.

As I stated in the defense thread I started, I think this might work alright for us. I agree the we have issues with the pressure on the front 4. But with Parker and Taylor on DE next year, we got some good speed. Then you got Jon Banks, a converted safety to OLB. Good combo.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    Then you got Jon Banks, a converted safety to OLB. Good combo.
    Dont forget about Carper. Do you think Banks will still start if Carper is back 100% healthy?

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Hopefully we run a Raven-2 defense. Tampa bay sucks this year.
    Apparently you forgot the past 10 years when they finished in the Top 10 in total defense every season. They are down this year, but they are also without a starting CB, a starting DE and a starting DT and have lost their MLB for four games. Anytime 75% of the NFL copies your defense, I would say you have a good system.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I am hoping that Chizik can hit the JUCO's for some quick help on the DL, OL, and maybe grap a CB, Safety, and LB as well.

I don't think that recruiting JUCO's is always the best thing because they are usually overrated and at a JUCO for a reason, but with Chizik, I think he will be able to sell the fact that he has developed quite a few NFL players to some talented defensive JUCO players.

They are not always the answer, but I think we can get a higher level of JUCO player than we could before with Chizik promising playing time and his experience with the Tampa 2, which is the hot trend right now.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCLONES15 View Post
    Dont forget about Carper. Do you think Banks will still start if Carper is back 100% healthy?
    Indeed i did forget about him. So thanks for the reminder.

To answer you question, its hard to say. I think Banks tackles better, and is quicker, so there is a very good shot of him starting over Carper.

No one is exactly for sure what defensive style ISU will play, so to make that call is premature.

Actually I wouldnt mind seeing a 4-2-5 defense, but i doubt that would happen.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

An article about the Tampa 2...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2271514

One of the best passages to keep in mind with regards to the Iowa State defense next year...

"It seems the Tampa 2 is an ideal scheme with which to turn around a defense virtually overnight. In 2001, Smith's first year as St. Louis' defensive coordinator, the Rams improved from 24th the previous season to third. Meeks was Smith's secondary coach that year, before going to Indianapolis with Dungy in 2002."

I really think we have some of the essential parts to run this defense... undersized but fast defensive end? Parker. Cornerback with good ball skills and speed... Singleton as well as possibly Jackson's younger brother? Hard hitting safety, James Smith... fast outside linebackers, Bowen at least as well as Banks. Hard hitting MLB, McKenize... We can definitely run this defense and in fact I would expect it. What it will clearly require though is a change in the mentality of our defense. Even though this defense plays the odds we need to get away from our bend and don't break mentality and move towards one where we are looking to break the opposing offense instead of bending.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

What's promising to me from a defensive standpoint is knowing that our guys can hit. I loved the defense in the Missouri game when our guys just laid everything out there and laid some real hammers on the Mizzou players. I'd say and aggressive style of D would work pretty well for us.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The hard part I could see on this is McK would be acting as a safety on this. He would be dropping back in coverage. I dont feel he is as quick. and our guys are aggressive, to for them to not cheat up on the run would be a change.