Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Carreer Advice needed

I am trying to figure out what kind of job I exactly want when I get out of college. I also dont know what to major in. The problem is I got to get out of college. I am a senior at UNI and have over 100 credits. I just dont have them in the right program. I have around 3 semesters left and took the semester off to figure out what to do so I didnt waste any more time or money.

Most of the classes I have taken are towards the business college. But they are not the upper level courses. I have thought alot about being a banker and trying to move up or just getting my degree and seeing what I can do. I also am interested in getting certified in IRA's or something like that.. But that is all interest.

I kind of figured that after 4 years of college I would have figured out what to do. I also thought something or someone would come to me and help me figure out what to do. I am really good with money and numbers just not with algebra ( which ive had alot of problems with school with) but banking is just an idea right now.

I just dont know what to major in or what type of job to work at. I currently work at Target Distribution center. I work 3 12 hour days and have 4 days off a week when my finance is at work so I have nothing to do. I certaintly dont want to be doing this the rest of my life though.

I also am intersted in coaching but not for a job. I have 1 or 2 classes left to be certified to coach in Iowa.

Any help would be great. I didnt know exactly what to write so I may have left out some things. I will try to answer any questions people ask

If you got any career or major choice ideas let me know. Im pretty open at the moment. And I got an appointment with my academic advisor on tuesday

Thanks for any help

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 2,076

Re: Carreer Advice needed

You could try Man-whoring, worked for this guy:

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    You could try Man-whoring, worked for this guy:

I cant say that interst me, but thanks for the idea...haha

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,567
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 122

If you say you are good with numbers but bad with algebra you may have trouble convincing someone to hire you for a job in banking or finance. I don't know much about those industries but algebra is the basis for pretty much every mathematical discipline, is it not?

You always want to follow your interests but sometimes you have to rely on your skills to get to a point where you can pursue your interests more freely. What other skills and experience do you have?

Pro
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wheels686 View Post
    I am trying to figure out what kind of job I exactly want when I get out of college. I also dont know what to major in. The problem is I got to get out of college. I am a senior at UNI and have over 100 credits. I just dont have them in the right program. I have around 3 semesters left and took the semester off to figure out what to do so I didnt waste any more time or money.

Most of the classes I have taken are towards the business college. But they are not the upper level courses. I have thought alot about being a banker and trying to move up or just getting my degree and seeing what I can do. I also am interested in getting certified in IRA's or something like that.. But that is all interest.

I kind of figured that after 4 years of college I would have figured out what to do. I also thought something or someone would come to me and help me figure out what to do. I am really good with money and numbers just not with algebra ( which ive had alot of problems with school with) but banking is just an idea right now.

I just dont know what to major in or what type of job to work at. I currently work at Target Distribution center. I work 3 12 hour days and have 4 days off a week when my finance is at work so I have nothing to do. I certaintly dont want to be doing this the rest of my life though.

I also am intersted in coaching but not for a job. I have 1 or 2 classes left to be certified to coach in Iowa.

Any help would be great. I didnt know exactly what to write so I may have left out some things. I will try to answer any questions people ask

If you got any career or major choice ideas let me know. Im pretty open at the moment. And I got an appointment with my academic advisor on tuesday

Thanks for any help

I had issues with deciding on a major as well; perhaps I can help a bit. What kind of a work setting would you like (ie, working in groups, working with customers, problem solving, independent, not independent, etc)?

Also, where would you want to live when you're out of school? Are you looking to stay close to UNI or are you looking to relocate?

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 533
    Given: 82

I get the feeling you have a bit of 'I don't know what I want to do when I grow up syndrome'. My advice to you is that that is ok. If I was you, I would finish your degree, try to get a good job, and when it finally hits you what you really want to do, go to grad school for that thing and do it.

Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 10

My suggestion (slightly altered for today's job market):

Major in something somewhat broad. A degree in business (sinse it sounds like that's where you're headed so far) is a good base to start with. From there, I suggest applying to anything and everything that might be even KINDA interesting. Unfortunately in today's job market, I don't know if you'll have the luxury to be choosy. If you have a degree that doesn't pin-point you down to a specific job or industry, odds are you'll find something that will work. In my case, it took 3 years and 2 jobs to get to somewhere that I liked. It's hard in your situation to look at a job/industry and say with certainty "I like it" or "I don't", but do it for 50 hours a week for a year, and you'll have a definate answer to those types of questions.

Good luck!

Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    I had issues with deciding on a major as well; perhaps I can help a bit. What kind of a work setting would you like (ie, working in groups, working with customers, problem solving, independent, not independent, etc)?

Also, where would you want to live when you're out of school? Are you looking to stay close to UNI or are you looking to relocate?
    I also agree with everything here. Figure out WHERE you want to live and work. Get specific about companies and do your research- who are the best companies to work for? Daily work environment is KEY. You spend alot of time there, you might as well be happy while you're there.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

As somebody who spent WAYYYYY too much time in school because I changed majors repeatedly, let me give you the advise I wish someone would have told me when I was as far along as you are: Just get the degree you are closest to getting and get a job out of college.

You'll find that just having a degree will open a lot of doors for you. I graduated with an English/LAS degree and I work for Wells Fargo. I didn't know the first thing about Banking/Banks but if you're not an idiot it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

Just don't spend way to much time and money sitting in school. Get in the real world, make some real money, then go back if you need to, but chances are you won't. Trust me when I say I wish I didn't spend the time in school I did acquiring 150 mostly worthless credit hours.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post

I am actually from Ames and my finance and I were looking to go back to central Iowa. Ames would be nice but im not fixed on that

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal&gold View Post
    If you say you are good with numbers but bad with algebra you may have trouble convincing someone to hire you for a job in banking or finance. I don't know much about those industries but algebra is the basis for pretty much every mathematical discipline, is it not?

You always want to follow your interests but sometimes you have to rely on your skills to get to a point where you can pursue your interests more freely. What other skills and experience do you have?
    Alot of my problems with algebra are easily solved with the computer. My dad who is an accountant for 30 years doesnt even know why they are making me do some of the stuff that I am having to do

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    As somebody who spent WAYYYYY too much time in school because I changed majors repeatedly, let me give you the advise I wish someone would have told me when I was as far along as you are: Just get the degree you are closest to getting and get a job out of college.

You'll find that just having a degree will open a lot of doors for you. I graduated with an English/LAS degree and I work for Wells Fargo. I didn't know the first thing about Banking/Banks but if you're not an idiot it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

Just don't spend way to much time and money sitting in school. Get in the real world, make some real money, then go back if you need to, but chances are you won't. Trust me when I say I wish I didn't spend the time in school I did acquiring 150 mostly worthless credit hours.

Thanks for the advice, your actually not the first person to say this to me so it sounds like thats a good direction to go.

If I get a degree in sociology I could be done in 2 semesters, (though no interest in it) otherwise most others I will have 3 in

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I would second the, get a degree and get out. My degree is in Sports Management and I live in Des Moines, IA. That gets me just about no-where in that field. So I went into insurance.

Having a degree opens somedoors but it isn't the cure all to the I need a job blues. I have no idea what I want to do for a job and I have been out of college (undergrad) for three years. Get out, experience somethings and find out what you like best.

"Profanity is the Crutch of Inarticulate Mother ****ers"
    The Wall in the Bathroom at People's

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by wheels686 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, your actually not the first person to say this to me so it sounds like thats a good direction to go.

If I get a degree in sociology I could be done in 2 semesters, (though no interest in it) otherwise most others I will have 3 in

Get contact info for everyone you meet, especially if they work in a field you might be interested in and keep in contact with them, even if its just from time to time. Who you know is always more important than what you know...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,261
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 80

If you want have time on your hands and want something to do, keep taking classes. Maybe you can get 2 degrees... For me, taking upper-level classes helped me realize more of potential career paths. More specific subjects in upper-level classes that you choose to take are more interesting than low-mid level required classes.