Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 155

Iowa State books

I just got back from Barnes and Noble and was disgusted after browsing the sports section. There are literally hundreds of nebraska books and quite a few hawkeye books. They ranged from the history of the teams, traditions, pictures, etc. Why have I never...ever found an Iowa State book? I'd like to think there is some money to be made if someone puts together a good book of Iowa State football or basketball.

Last edited by SC Cy; 10-23-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Iowa State books

You sure you were in the sports section? Sounds like you had to be in the crimes and punishment section finding those types of books.

Pro
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cy View Post
    I just got back from Barns and Noble and was disgusted after browsing the sports section. There are literally hundreds of nebraska books and quite a few hawkeye books. They ranged from the history of the teams, traditions, pictures, etc. Why have I never...ever found an Iowa State book? I'd like to think there is some money to be made if someone puts together a good book of Iowa State football or basketball.

When I publish my first one, I'll give you a signed copy.

In all seriousness, I don't think there's a whole lot of money to be made about Iowa State.... In Minneapolis, I get a lot of people asking me which one is it (Ames or Iowa City) and also what the mascot is.

In Ames it's a big deal and I love ISU, but it's not a national brand name like NU

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Someone actually has to write one before it will magically appear at Barnes and Noble.

To date, we haven't had much to write about.

I did pick up the Johnny Orr book back in the ealry 90's though.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

I just got back from Barns and Noble and was disgusted after browsing the sports section. There are literally hundreds of nebraska books and quite a few hawkeye books. They ranged from the history of the teams, traditions, pictures, etc. Why have I never...ever found an Iowa State book? I'd like to think there is some money to be made if someone puts together a good book of Iowa State football or basketball.
    In all seriousness, re: football, what are they supposed to write about that will sell enough to cover the costs to publish? I say that as a fan. Maybe in 4 years someone will write a book cronicling the 100 years since the last conference title. There's an idea for you.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 155

Quote Originally Posted by isu200023 View Post
    In all seriousness, re: football, what are they supposed to write about that will sell enough to cover the costs to publish? I say that as a fan. Maybe in 4 years someone will write a book cronicling the 100 years since the last conference title. There's an idea for you.
    You can easily do an in-depth Iowa State football book. You've got the story of Jack Trice, the two Heisman years for Troy Davis, the improbable '92 win over nebraska, the tailgating, the bowl games, the heartbreaks (that could be an encyclopedia of books!), the coaching tree, etc. The list could go on and on.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

You can easily do an in-depth Iowa State football book. You've got the story of Jack Trice, the two Heisman years for Troy Davis, the improbable '92 win over nebraska, the tailgating, the bowl games, the heartbreaks (that could be an encyclopedia of books!), the coaching tree, etc. The list could go on and on.

USB, CSB, or someone certainly has to have something like this if someone were looking for it, right? I was being facesious in my earlier post.

Pro
    Thumbs Up

You could write something like that and only the hardcore ISU fans will buy it probably.

I bought one of the 100 years of basketball DVDs, but there isn't a single person I know of who has it and isn't in some way associated with ISU.

For Nebraska football, you have fans that never went to the school. They are just fans rooting for a school they want to win. Perhaps you've forgotten but at one point Nebraska was one of THE schools to be in football.

The average person wants to root for a winner; we see people in Ames fans of UNC and Duke basketball, basically because they win.

I don't drink the Kool-Aid, and I am done making excuses. Only keeping it real...

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Not even a book by ISU's most famous author: Paul Shirley?

Dean Wormer was wrong. Fat, drunk and stupid was a great way to go through college (all five years of it).