Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 102

ISU BB previews from Blue Ribbon and Sporting News

Being a huge college basketball fan I always get these two magazines during the preseason. I personally think they are the two best on the market, especially Blue Ribbon.

Anyway, starting with Sporting News:

They have us 11th in the Big 12, with the 6th best recruiting class in the conference. They are especially high on L.A. Pomlee, calling him one of the Top 100 freshmen in the nation. They also like Jamie VDB quite a bit too.

Texas is 1st, Colorado is the only team behind us.

Now for Blue Ribbon:

They have us at dead last, sorry to say. They think that Dominique Buckley is the top incoming freshman and also think that JVDB will have an immediate impact. L.A. Pomlee is listed as the 38th best Power Forward in the yearbook according to Scout.com.

They did have some interesting numbers; Our field goal defense percentage of .416 was the fifth best in school history, and we only averaged 13.2 turnovers per game, 78th out of more than 320 Division I schools.

On the other hand, our 7 returning lettermen had shooting percentages of .434, .377, .353, .351, .346, .308, and .300, not too good.

They did have some nice things to say about Greg McDermott, calling him a "solid in-game coach", and the "right man for the job". We were also 3rd in the league in average attendance last season, getting 13,316 people per game.

I think our non-conference schedule is almost perfect for this team. Most of the teams we play (even Hawaii and Houston) are predicted to finish either at the bottom or in the mid-level of their conferences by Blue Ribbon. I think our toughest games might be against the in-state schools, and I'm not talking about Iowa there.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3

Re: ISU BB previews from Blue Ribbon and Sporting News

if it wasnt for the blood clot LA had in his leg during his junior year he would have been at least rivals top 100. because he had to sit the entire year he really went under the radar.

ALL IN

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 133

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    B
    They did have some nice things to say about Greg McDermott, calling him a "solid in-game coach", and the "right man for the job". We were also 3rd in the league in average attendance last season, getting 13,316 people per game.

I think our non-conference schedule is almost perfect for this team. Most of the teams we play (even Hawaii and Houston) are predicted to finish either at the bottom or in the mid-level of their conferences by Blue Ribbon. I think our toughest games might be against the in-state schools, and I'm not talking about Iowa there.
    I like to see that. I would think recruits would want to play in front of packed houses. The attendance at some "big name" programs would probably surprise some people. If ISU can get back over the 20 win threshold regularly, we should be seeing 14 to near 15k for games at Hilton. That is when Hilton Magic really kicks into high gear.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Addict
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 50

I like to see our recruits getting props like that. Reinforces to me we are getting this program built back up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

For prospective on attendance....

Hilton Coliseum holds 14,092.

Thats a near sellout each and every game, which is simply amazing considering the records that accompany the attendance marks.

Legend
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 224

Quote Originally Posted by Cyc1ones View Post
    For prospective on attendance....

Hilton Coliseum holds 14,092.

Thats a near sellout each and every game, which is simply amazing considering the records that accompany the attendance marks.
    Actually, I think the capacity has increased to 14,356. But still, i'm very pleased with our attendance!

Last edited by cyclonedave25; 10-23-2008 at 02:08 PM.
    When Prepared, Fear No One.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 445
    Given: 310

Some things never change: 11th or 12th. Now since nebraska has one tall player who is injured, I think we can finish above them in all sports magazines, so i do not believe the second magazine (Blue ribbon) ranking.

All in all, this shows less than progress from the previous two years of ranking for McD. Yes, we have our excuses, but the message is pathetic respect from the people around the league. Guess Hilton magic is not so great these days.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog View Post
    I like to see that. I would think recruits would want to play in front of packed houses. The attendance at some "big name" programs would probably surprise some people. If ISU can get back over the 20 win threshold regularly, we should be seeing 14 to near 15k for games at Hilton. That is when Hilton Magic really kicks into high gear.
    It was not a packed house. In fact, I think I only saw two or three games last year where it even looked close to capacity, most of the time it was about half and sometimes less.

The reason it listed so high is because they count the season ticket holders (which last year was over 10,000), even if they don't show. This means that there could be as little as 4,000 people in the stands and the AD could possibly mark it as a sellout at 14,000.

It's good to see good attendance on paper, but it would be better to see them in Hilton.

Last edited by jaretac; 10-23-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    It was not a packed house. In fact, I think I only saw two or three games last year where it even looked close to capacity, most of the time it was about half and sometimes less. The reason it listed so high is because they count the season ticket holders, even if they don't show. It's good to see good attendance on paper, but it would be better to see them in Hilton.
    A big reason we didn't "pack the house" a lot last year was because of students in the upper deck. A lot of students either didn't pick up their tickets or go to all of the games. That should be mitigated a bit this year, as student tickets that are not picked up by a certain date will go back on sale and be available to those who are on a waiting list.