Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Chizik call in show

I listened to the show tonight and there were actually a few good callers and some that had ideas for offensive plays that should be run.

One of the callers asked about the conservative play calling and not getting receivers beyond the first down markers. I have respect for Chizik and to tell you the truth, I have even more respect for the way he answered the question. He told the caller that he understood his frustration and that Chizik himself did not like the play calling. Chizik then said that he had spoken with coach McFarland about it and he knew that Chizik was not happy with the play calls.

Chizik handled that great I think. He let fans know things needed to change yet he did not throw his coach under the bus. I think most coaches in the country would not have said the same thing Chizik did tonight which is why I think it is refreshing. Any one else hear this?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 7

Re: Chizik call in show

Anything else that was interesting?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

Glad to hear he didnt speak in coach talk and called his OC out. I think Chizik should be more involved in play calling on both sides of the ball.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 255
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Anything else that was interesting?
    Coach said there would be several recruits at the A&M game. He also said something to the effect that if you look at the internet and those sorts of things, there will be information coming out about more commits.

There usually is not a lot said but I thought the call I brought up originally was interesting.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 124

So does he have an answer how we only had 257 yards against Baylor and 225 yards against Nebraska? Two yard rushes and four yard passes will get you there.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Based on the offensive line play on Saturday, it's hard to judge whether the play calling stunk or not. It's hard to go deep when you have 2 seconds to get rid of the ball.

I am surprised Chizik would criticize the play calling vs. the coaching of the offensive line, unless he is trying to pacify the fan base.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    So does he have an answer how we only had 257 yards against Baylor and 225 yards against Nebraska? Two yard rushes and four yard passes will get you there.

Also the two games AA was hurt.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I love how Chizik handled the guy who talked for 10min trying to tell him he needs to run the "Split T" like he did as a highschool coach. You gotta think Chizik is setting there wating for Walters to jump in and shut the guy off. He handled it alright but a total dude for a call.

You can have it Fast, Cheap, Reliable.....Please pick TWO!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinH2O View Post
    I love how Chizik handled the guy who talked for 10min trying to tell him he needs to run the "Split T" like he did as a highschool coach. You gotta think Chizik is setting there wating for Walters to jump in and shut the guy off. He handled it alright but a total dude for a call.
    What the hell is a "Split T". Did the next caller want the wishbone. The one after that want the super power I.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneBax View Post
    Based on the offensive line play on Saturday, it's hard to judge whether the play calling stunk or not. It's hard to go deep when you have 2 seconds to get rid of the ball.

I am surprised Chizik would criticize the play calling vs. the coaching of the offensive line, unless he is trying to pacify the fan base.
    It's probably a combination of many things:

• playcalling has not always been the greatest (blame goes to coaching)
    • that being said, it's hard to call plays that are going to surprise the defense when you can't even execute the most basic of plays - off tackles, draws, end arounds, stretch plays, slants, screens, and other basic passing routes. (blame goes to players)
    • a lot of that has to do with the offensive line - they have not been opening holes for the runners nor giving enough protection to allow receivers to get open (I think there's enough blame to share between both the players and coaches)
    • the running backs have not always been hitting what holes have been available to them (once again, coaches and players)
    • the receivers have been dropping very catchable balls (coaches and players)
    • Arnaud has not always been the most accurate passer over the last couple of games. What's worse, he's been locking onto receivers (he gets some blame, coaches get some blame, rest of the offense, especially the o-line and receivers, also get some blame)
    • The defense needs to stop trying to make the big play and just wrap up and make the play that's needed to be made (coaching and players)

That being said, it's getting awfully hard to point a lot of fingers at the defense, as they've been the one group over the last couple of weeks that's actually shown any kind of fire whatsoever. LJ and Banks are making names for themselves as secondary that the Big XII's going to have to reckon with for years to come. It's also hard to blame them for giving up as many points as they did in the first half, considering all the three-and-outs that the offense had - you can't leave the defense on the field for 20 mintes of the first half - the more they're out there, the more the're expending their energy and wearing themselves out.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    It's probably a combination of many things:
    • a lot of that has to do with the offensive line - they have not been opening holes for the runners nor giving enough protection to allow receivers to get open (I think there's enough blame to share between both the players and coaches)
    • the running backs have not always been hitting what holes have been available to them (once again, coaches and players)
    • Arnaud has not always been the most accurate passer over the last couple of games. What's worse, he's been locking onto receivers (he gets some blame, coaches get some blame, rest of the offense, especially the o-line and receivers, also get some blame)

How much of the offensive line play can be blamed on the previous staff? Alot, I would say.

I'm still not totally convinced Arnaud is "locking on" receivers, especially after last week. We rarely had more than two receivers out in patterns and they were VERY close to each other. Pretty hard to tell if he is locked on anyone.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Rookie
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    That being said, it's getting awfully hard to point a lot of fingers at the defense, as they've been the one group over the last couple of weeks that's actually shown any kind of fire whatsoever. LJ and Banks are making names for themselves as secondary that the Big XII's going to have to reckon with for years to come. It's also hard to blame them for giving up as many points as they did in the first half, considering all the three-and-outs that the offense had - you can't leave the defense on the field for 20 mintes of the first half - the more they're out there, the more the're expending their energy and wearing themselves out.

Agreed, the defense in not the problem. They continue to play hard even though the offense can't keep (or get) a drive going.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    How much of the offensive line play can be blamed on the previous staff? Alot, I would say.

I'm still not totally convinced Arnaud is "locking on" receivers, especially after last week. We rarely had more than two receivers out in patterns and they were VERY close to each other. Pretty hard to tell if he is locked on anyone.
    He probably isn't yet, but if he's only getting 2-3 seconds worth of protection, it's going to start coming down to that.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'm still not totally convinced Arnaud is "locking on" receivers, especially after last week.

I agree on both of the above. except the fact that KO played pretty poorly, but it was the first significant playing time he has had, and just like any other postition he is going to need some time to adjust.

as far as arnaud locking on, im not sure he is, but i know he did throw one to a guy (houston jones maybe?) that had 2 bad guys draped all over him, and there was no question where the ball was going. other than that, i havent seen a whole bunch that scares me the way meyer did. of course, i havent seen a whole bunch period.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 11

Along the same line, Gene sounded somewhat envious when he talked about the SR O-linemen with extensive starting experience that Cotton inherited at UNL. Barney also has a couple of pretty solid JR OL available to him as well as some highly recruited younger guys.

Gene knows what he needs to produce a quality OL. The easy way is to walk into to it on day one. The hard way is to attack it with a combination of recruiting, coaching, and time. We are forced to go the hard route and all three components are required regardless of how much frustration some fans might be experiencing.