Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The Ferentz Comparison

I take it as a huge compliment. He has been and still is one of the hottest HEAD COACHES in the country. If he wanted an NFL job, he'd likely have it tomorrow.

Our new coach has great promise, but has never even been a HEAD COACH at any level. He was a Co-Defensive Coordinator at a school that won a National Championship. His defense at Auburn went undefeated. Great things, indeed, but not the head man running the show during these accomplishments.

People are claiming jealousy from the Hawks because of the Ferentz comparison, but we should be pleased as punch. 3-top 10 finishes. January Bowls, BCS Bowl. We should be so lucky. There are very few Hawk fans that don't hold Ferentz in the highest regard. The fact that our guy reminds them of him is a great sign. It's as close to a compliment as you're going to get from them.

As a head coach, our guy has tons of promise, but I'll be interested to see how we do this next year. I'm expecting something very similar to this past year. I know most think we're going to win the National Championship next year, but I'd be happy with 5 games.

A three legged dog walks into a bar and says, "I'm lookin' for the man who shot my paw."

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Re: The Ferentz Comparison

We got a good shot at more than 5 games. But that isnt even important. Right now, I just would like to see a strong foundation being built that then two, three years from now. We are pushing for that North title again.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I'm just curious why you think we have a good shot at more than 5 games.

We were legitimately 4 plays away from going 0-fer the entire season.

We lose our entire O-line and don't look to have any immediate contributors coming in. We don't have a staff even in place in terms of assistants and we lose the guy who I think is our best WR in Austin.

Was McCarney SO BAD, that his mere absence will win us more games with a lesser O-line?

A three legged dog walks into a bar and says, "I'm lookin' for the man who shot my paw."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 257

8-4 possible and a decent bowl bid is my prediction. Topped off by a win against Iowa keeping them from New Years Day. Losses to Nebraska, TT, Oklahoma, maybe Texas. Think Ohio turnaround with Solich. Good coaching will definitely improve this team. Quite frankly, we handed the ball to the other team most of the season due to our poor planning. The TT game imploded our season until Missouri.

Our oline could not be much more out of step. We could have been playing redshirt freshman until; the lasst game and not noticed a difference. If we can recruit a power running back, the tonic will be swell.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

So now we're all in agreement that we had bad coaching. Finally, we're getting somewhere.

Where were all of you when I was at -390 reputation for stating I thought we were poorly coached? The worm has turned.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CLONE2THEBONE View Post
    I'm just curious why you think we have a good shot at more than 5 games.

We were legitimately 4 plays away from going 0-fer the entire season.

We lose our entire O-line and don't look to have any immediate contributors coming in. We don't have a staff even in place in terms of assistants and we lose the guy who I think is our best WR in Austin.

Was McCarney SO BAD, that his mere absence will win us more games with a lesser O-line?
    That was Barney's boys at their finest. One step too much out of step. Too slow, no MO, just stodgy. Blitz them and they were befuddled. They were a work in progress that made no progress. They were senior who forgot that until the last game. They had no cohesiveness that mattered. They led the league in sacks allowed. They were not enopugh bodies to fill the line. They were fatigued and they were swallowed up. Everyone looked like a beaten left tackle when the ball was hiked. Bret ran four miles during the year to his right when he was flkushed. He was flushed so often, that his left shoe had worn down cleats. The tight ends did not help much. It was a mess. Probably had ten decent offensive drives all year. Wonj't even visit the defensive coverage. My point is we can definitely improve over the performance this year with bettewr preparation and planning. We looked like a MAC team in the end and coached by McC. Everyone liked us except ourselves. On to bigger and better things.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

-390 was too deep to worry about. You were close to banishment.
    Just look what Doc Sadler has done at Nebraska basketball. Everyone is injured this year, a bunch left, he has some walkons, some last minute pickups, illnesses, arthritic player hips, etc. And he beats Creighton coming out of the chute. Good coaching and preparation can make a difference in college sports. It also works in the pros. Like Belichek. NE Patriots do not have great stars, just a cohesive team. Troy Brown epitimizes the preparation. We might lose to Nebraska.

Last edited by Wesley; 11-28-2006 at 07:45 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

This year was one of those years. You know how it works. No matter what you do during the day, everything just seems to not go your way. Well that was this year for ISU.

Sure some questionable plays calls were turning points in a game, but those became so important because of the poor execution prior to that.

Where I am getting at is we have a new coach with new ideas. He will hire a new staff that will maybe change things up. So in my mind, more than 5 wins is possible.

This year definately could have been worse than it was, but it could have been better. It is all those what if's. Well I think a lot of those will be answered with this new coach and should be able to move ahead. Somtimes a fresh start is all that is needed.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I just don't see it.

No staff yet. We don't even know what type of system we'll be running on offense of defense. There will definitely be a learning curve as these players will be having new stuff thrown at them for the first time since they stepped foot on campus.

This next year may very well suck da big one. In fact, I expect it to. But as long as their is a vision and improvement, I'm ok with that.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

in my opinion, he gets a few jucos to come in, this way he will have expierence..mostly online and Db's finish the year with 6-8wins..then the next year gets some good freshmen..with maybe a couple more jucos..not like the year b4..but just a few.. get 7-9wins (easier schedule) next year recruit freshmen freshmen freshmen by this time u have expierence 10 wins is not out of reach and possibly big 12 champs...

of course this is if everything works perfectly.. but never know

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Jordan Bernstine might even come to Cloneville. Do not give up, never give up.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I hate it when people say that we were 4 plays from being winless this season. Two seasons ago we were 3 plays away from being 10-2. Ifs and buts don't mean anything.

I do, however, agree that last year our team was not too hot. However, I don't think anyone, including the national media, would argue that we didn't have the talent to take home the Big XII North. Sure, we lost some good players from last year, but we have a lot of good guys back, and I think we have a good chance to make a bowl game next season.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny8 View Post
    I hate it when people say that we were 4 plays from being winless this season. Two seasons ago we were 3 plays away from being 10-2. Ifs and buts don't mean anything.
    I agree that we were 3 plays away from being 10-2, but you can't deny that we were 4 legitimate plays away from being 0-4. It can't get any closer than it was. It really is remarkable that all of our wins came down to the very last play of the game.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

It's very true that we did just about lose all those games, but at the end of the day, all that matters is who has more points. It doesn't matter how, it just matters that you take home the W. In a way, it was refreshing to win 4 close games considering Iowa State's dismal history with close games. I do agree with you that our team has got a lot of work to do to win some games next year.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Now the debate:
    In our four wins, which game did we come the closest to really losing? Toledo, UNI, UNLV, or Missouri. That is highly debatable.

YOU MAKE THE CALL FOR CLOSEsT ISU WIN----

1. UNI a yard wide field goal from 51. All American goof.

2. Missouri - a hold on half yard line as runningback fumbles and then almost a miraculous blunder run after a lost fumble. Two day later coach whine.

3. UNLV WR slippping a yard beyond the end zone. Coach protest.

4. Toledo tripped by Singleton tipped pass. Whoops goes their WR.

UNI game???