Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

GC (Hypothetical)

Now I realize that I am getting the cart so far ahead of the horse that the horse can't even see the cart anymore but here is a hypothetical question that I have to ask in response to people saying that this job is a stepping stone for GC.

Wouldn't you take more pride and wouldn't it be more rewarding to take a program like ISU (very average right now) and make it into a national power that competes in the top ten every year, than it would be to go into a situation where the tradition and prestige has already been established and you are just another coach that came along and continued what was already put in place for you?

Take Beamer in VT for example, he has built that program into what it is today and everytime you hear something mentioned about VT his name is in the same sentence. He has built and will leave a legacy at VT that is remembered forever.

In my opinion, I would rather build something like Beamer has built than go into a Alabama (for example) and just be the next guy in a long line of greats that used the pieces that were already in place. GC will get all of the monetary rewards he could want if he has success here (and I think he will) and I just think that he could be more of a legend in the national coaching faternity and be remembered forever if he were to take ISU to greatness and remain here for a long, long time.

Just trying to put a positive spin on things and be opimistic that we have coaches in place at ISU in all major sports that will be here for a long time and make ISU a national power in collegiate athletics.

Giving it a go
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 5

Re: GC (Hypothetical)

Very nice post. Agree completely.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 0

It all depends on who the guy is, some like things to be easier and also deal with the expectations, while others want to work hard to build something and be the man. The other thing to take into account is that some people fall in love with Ames and his kids being the age they are may be a very good thing.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,093
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 63

First of all, I dont see Coach Chiz leaving for a while per the statements he made regarding Ames being a great community for his family. Those kids have a good 10 years until they graduate. It seemed he was looking for more than JUST a head coaching job...he was looking for a good all around fit.

Second, if a school like Texas, USC, etc. comes in 5+ years and offers something Coach cant resist, that is good for ISU. Yes it will suck to lose him but he must have had a hell of a 5 year run if they come to us to get him.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bhoodjer View Post
    Now I realize that I am getting the cart so far ahead of the horse that the horse can't even see the cart anymore but here is a hypothetical question that I have to ask in response to people saying that this job is a stepping stone for GC.

Wouldn't you take more pride and wouldn't it be more rewarding to take a program like ISU (very average right now) and make it into a national power that competes in the top ten every year, than it would be to go into a situation where the tradition and prestige has already been established and you are just another coach that came along and continued what was already put in place for you?

Take Beamer in VT for example, he has built that program into what it is today and everytime you hear something mentioned about VT his name is in the same sentence. He has built and will leave a legacy at VT that is remembered forever.

In my opinion, I would rather build something like Beamer has built than go into a Alabama (for example) and just be the next guy in a long line of greats that used the pieces that were already in place. GC will get all of the monetary rewards he could want if he has success here (and I think he will) and I just think that he could be more of a legend in the national coaching faternity and be remembered forever if he were to take ISU to greatness and remain here for a long, long time.

Just trying to put a positive spin on things and be opimistic that we have coaches in place at ISU in all major sports that will be here for a long time and make ISU a national power in collegiate athletics.
    That's gravy. Unfortunately, there are so many variables that there's no way for us to know what Chizik's intentions are. Maybe he will be here until he retires (which would be insanely fantastic), or maybe something else will pop up.

The fact of the matter is we don't know his intentions because time hasn't passed and nothing is made clear. Of the three newly hired coaches, he's the only one I even remotely worry about. GMac's stated he wants to stay in this state, and Cael is an Iowa State guy through and through.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

One of the irony's all about all the criticisms regarding ISU by the media is that we gave DM 12 seasons when virtually every other school in the nation would have pulled the plug far earlier.

If Gene Chizik is good he will be given a lifetime contract at ISU and ISU will do everything it can to compete on salary. The expectations are so much more realistic at ISU than they are at name programs.

Hopefully GC will be ISU's Hayden Fry or Bill Snyder.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I really like the post and couldnt agree more. Plus wouldn't it be nice to be in the positin that we are having to step up and pay our coach more to just keep him around.

I look at Iowa and personally think they have absolutely the best situation for themselves. This team wont contend for the National title a lot. There are too many other big name schools out there for that. But they will always give themselves a shot. Usually they will be at the top of the conference, and be contending 3 out of 6 years for the Big Ten title. Now this far from perfection, and may even be below some expectations of Hawkeye fans, but is a heck of a lot more than what a lot of others schools could say.

They have gotten themselves a coach who can do that for them. I hope Chizik is that guy for us.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 604
    Given: 389

Quote Originally Posted by dinger7203 View Post
    First of all, I dont see Coach Chiz leaving for a while per the statements he made regarding Ames being a great community for his family. Those kids have a good 10 years until they graduate. It seemed he was looking for more than JUST a head coaching job...he was looking for a good all around fit.

Second, if a school like Texas, USC, etc. comes in 5+ years and offers something Coach cant resist, that is good for ISU. Yes it will suck to lose him but he must have had a hell of a 5 year run if they come to us to get him.
    Probably an assistant could then move up to be HC. I did not see that with the old staff.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.