Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 34,218, Level: 56
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    BKLYNCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,826
    Points
    34,218
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 35

    End the sideline audible playcalling!

    I apologize if there has been a thread already on this subject, but I haven't seen one specifically dedicated to this.

    It seems to me that the coaches are micromanaging the team which results in an offense that is completely unsure of itself. Frankly, I believe we'd be better if AA was put in the position where he would have more responsibility/accountability. As it stands now, he has very little pressure as every play is called, then confirmed by the coaches on the sideline. I have to wonder if AA is even really looking at and thinking about the opposing D. I remember an article/interview earlier in the year where both AA and Bates said that the sideline check makes it easy, and that it takes a lot of the pressure off of them. I, for one, think AA plays better with pressure (UNLV 2nd half). We need AA to recognize the defense and call his own audibles if we want the offense to take it to the next level.

    Instead, we have an offense that slowly waddles along. There is a ridiculous amount of time at the line, allowing the defense to take a good long look at how we are aligned. With the limited playbook that we seem to have, it is no wonder that the defense seems to be able to tell what is coming before we actually run it. The current system will never allow us to catch a defense off guard or in the wrong alignment (note the ineffectiveness of slant routes, though this is also due to not-so-good downfield blocking by the WRs). Furthermore, every time we do actually get a drive going and put the defense on their heels, we slow things down to a point where we lose the momentum.

    I know the coaches have their reasons for implementing this system, but there have been major problems throughout the year. How many delay of game penalties have been directly caused by the coaches on the sideline? This, to me, is absolutely asinine. I'm completely frustrated with the situation and hope that with another year of experience, AA will be calling the audibles himself. Anyone have any thoughts?



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 394,560, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,814
    Points
    394,560
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    I feeel AA is operating under huge constraints also. He is better than this.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,532, Level: 87
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,618
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,409
    Points
    78,532
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 19

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    Because of the sideline playcalling, ISU could have lost a fumble recovery. Since ISU was so slow at the line, the play was allowed to be reviewed. ISU got to keep the ball but momentum was killed. Think if that play was overturned, that woudl have been a HUGE mistake.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 185,502, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,339
    Points
    185,502
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 291

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    It is probably what makes Mizzou's offense so bad too.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 74,020, Level: 84
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycopath25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (307)
    Posts
    5,112
    Points
    74,020
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    If you watch a lot of college football you will notice that this is how the game is changing. Lots of teams are beginning to take this approach to the game. I belive Mizzou and KU are 2 in our own conference who use this strategy to some extent. Other BCS teams are using it as well, I just can't think of the teams off the top of my head that I have seen run this. The game of football is constantly evolving and changing, and this is just one way.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 394,560, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,814
    Points
    394,560
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    Our problem as we look to the sideline is we are trying to decide between a 4 yard pass or a 2 yard blast. With several big receivers, we are unable to take advantage of them.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 185,502, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ajk4st8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    15,339
    Points
    185,502
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 291

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Our problem as we look to the sideline is we are trying to decide between a 4 yard pass or a 2 yard blast. With several big receivers, we are unable to take advantage of them.

    Exactly, poor throws and drops (adding in a lack of a running game ) has lead our coaching staff no other choice.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 74,020, Level: 84
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 830
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycopath25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (307)
    Posts
    5,112
    Points
    74,020
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    How we get the plays into our players is the least of our problems right now.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 394,560, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,814
    Points
    394,560
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 296

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    I continue to remember seeing 8 NE people within 5 yards of the ball and wonder why they can play that way while we never figure out obut one play that works all day. The NE defenders have been burned all year by assignment mixups except for yesterday. Could it be our schemes?


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 117,937, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,488
    Points
    117,937
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 58

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    Because of the sideline playcalling, ISU could have lost a fumble recovery. Since ISU was so slow at the line, the play was allowed to be reviewed. ISU got to keep the ball but momentum was killed. Think if that play was overturned, that woudl have been a HUGE mistake.
    This is my big issue with the "check with me" playcalling. In situations like that, Austen should be told before going out onto the field "just get them lined up and run the play as quickly as possible!! Don't check with us!"

    Not only this, but I think we need to allow Austen to check down to other plays quickly so that it keeps the defense off balance. Really wish we would see more no-huddle offense if we're going to use the check with me playcalling.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 57,669, Level: 74
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 881
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    2,324
    Points
    57,669
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 0

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post
    I apologize if there has been a thread already on this subject, but I haven't seen one specifically dedicated to this.

    It seems to me that the coaches are micromanaging the team which results in an offense that is completely unsure of itself. Frankly, I believe we'd be better if AA was put in the position where he would have more responsibility/accountability. As it stands now, he has very little pressure as every play is called, then confirmed by the coaches on the sideline. I have to wonder if AA is even really looking at and thinking about the opposing D. I remember an article/interview earlier in the year where both AA and Bates said that the sideline check makes it easy, and that it takes a lot of the pressure off of them. I, for one, think AA plays better with pressure (UNLV 2nd half). We need AA to recognize the defense and call his own audibles if we want the offense to take it to the next level.

    Instead, we have an offense that slowly waddles along. There is a ridiculous amount of time at the line, allowing the defense to take a good long look at how we are aligned. With the limited playbook that we seem to have, it is no wonder that the defense seems to be able to tell what is coming before we actually run it. The current system will never allow us to catch a defense off guard or in the wrong alignment (note the ineffectiveness of slant routes, though this is also due to not-so-good downfield blocking by the WRs). Furthermore, every time we do actually get a drive going and put the defense on their heels, we slow things down to a point where we lose the momentum.

    I know the coaches have their reasons for implementing this system, but there have been major problems throughout the year. How many delay of game penalties have been directly caused by the coaches on the sideline? This, to me, is absolutely asinine. I'm completely frustrated with the situation and hope that with another year of experience, AA will be calling the audibles himself. Anyone have any thoughts?
    By getting to the line, it forces the defense to take a position and limits their ability to make substitutions. With the team at the line and the defense deployed the offense has the advantage in being able to call plays that can exploit the defense.

    Its a theory.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 113,548, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,801
    Points
    113,548
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 78

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    By getting to the line, it forces the defense to take a position and limits their ability to make substitutions. With the team at the line and the defense deployed the offense has the advantage in being able to call plays that can exploit the defense.

    Its a theory.
    Around the country, there are losing teams as well as winning teams who use this system. I think it depends more on the play that's called and who wins the individual battles among the players.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 117,937, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,488
    Points
    117,937
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 58

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    By getting to the line, it forces the defense to take a position and limits their ability to make substitutions. With the team at the line and the defense deployed the offense has the advantage in being able to call plays that can exploit the defense.

    Its a theory.
    In order for this theory to work, we shouldn't be huddling. When we huddle, we give the defense a chance to substitute.

    Get up to the line quickly in a standard set without huddling, force the defense to line up without subbing, THEN adjust the play. Have a set play ready to go in case the defense doesn't respect the no-huddle and they try to sub, that way when you line up you can run the play if they either have too many men on the field or they are discombobulated.



  14. #14
    Chile Mac is Back!
    Points: 302,614, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    LindenCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    23,029
    Points
    302,614
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 345
    Given: 735

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    I don't like it. I also don't like the audible mike in an NFL QB's head. Just let them play.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 31,180, Level: 54
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 770
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,837
    Points
    31,180
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

    Re: End the sideline audible playcalling!

    Quote Originally Posted by cycopath25 View Post
    How we get the plays into our players is the least of our problems right now.
    I agree with this.

    I have no problem with the sideline checks, but it doesn't seem to be exploiting anything the defense may be doing.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM