Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Please Don't Give Up On The Program Yet!

After the past few games, many people have been upset with the football players, coaches, and even Jamie Pollard. I just wanted to make some points that give me optimism for the future of the program.

1. Our football team is very young.
    I know this is an over-used expression, however, the young players that are making mistakes are gaining very valuable experience now so that by the time that they are juniors and seniors, they will be very good.

2. The quality of the recruits that we are getting are much better.

I have seen a remarkable increase in the amount of physical talent that is on the field. I remember one quote that said when Dan McCarney was here that there were only a handful of Big XII caliber players. A perfect example is LJ. Our team speed and strength is much better than in the past. The quality of men that are being recruited is also very good. There have been very few off the field issues and it is always nice to listen when one of them has a microphone in front of them. They sound very well spoken and intelligent.

3. Our football program is being built the correct way.
    Many teams want to build a program with JC transfers and win now. I don't like this approach because that is just a short term solution. If you are going to develop depth for the long term, this takes some time.

4. Our football program was bad before Chizik arrived.
    I know that many people liked Dan very much. I thought very highly of him as a person. One caller on the post game show today mentioned that McCarney only had one bad season and they should have kept him. That is a crock. There were some descent seasons, but the program was still very bad when he left. I was very tired of settling for mediocrity or less. I will start to judge Gene when all of the players on the team are from his recruiting classes and not from McCarney. Many of Gene's recruits are beating out experienced seniors from the previous regime and they are freshmen.

5. Other programs have done this, but not overnight.
    There are other programs like ours that went throught the same growing pains that we are experiencing. Both Kansas and Missouri were having mediocre seasons, and then one year they just seemed to completely turned the corner. I am not necessarily saying that we will, but it does happen.

6. Our coaching staff is still very green.
    I know that we are paying our coaches quite a bit of money, at least by ISU standards, but they are young too. They are experiencing some growing pains, but are learning from them, just like our young players. All coaches have to start somewhere, and not too many face the challenges like coaching at ISU.

I am just as frustrated as many of you, however I still have reason for optimism. Just give it some time.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,090
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 65

Re: Please Don't Give Up On The Program Yet!

Good post. Just some notes:

On #4 - Mac's best offenses were when Loney was here. His career would be in a much better situation had he left after the 2000 season. He was loyal - to a fault.

On-#6 we do have a couple of young coaches, but the three at the top have been in the business a very long time. Remember the story when the three of them sank Danny Ford's boat while at Clemson?

We've made decent strides. However, our skill level is such that we have to play near perfect games to win. A unusually strong division is not helping either. It's two steps forward, one step back.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think we should just see more output from the O. We have more talent but the O coordinator calls a very conservative game. Bubble screens don't seem to work well for us. Saw that 6 or more times today and nothing but we kept trying them. I think we could do better if we opened things up and moved AA around the pocket like we did in the 2nd half. He can't just stand in the pocket like Mizzou or KU. O line needs to create some holes.

You can have it Fast, Cheap, Reliable.....Please pick TWO!

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

While I agree it isn't time to give up on the program yet, I can't continue to support what we've seen the last few years forever either. I like your positive spin on things, but I'll give my opinion about your six points:

1) Our football team isn't any younger than most other teams. Our most consistent talent is almost all juniors and seniors, and we lose more talent this year than we did last year. Do we have 'some' young guys to get excited about? Of course, but we're not a team comprised of true freshmen.

2) I don't agree with this one bit. We forget how much talent Dan had come through Jack Trice. Our best player this year is one of the few we've gotten the last couple of years from offers from truly good football programs. LJ is a stud. Most of the other kids we've brought in are at best similar to what ISU has recruited for years. Might we have kids that might look better in shorts and tshirts than year's past? Possibly. Are we getting better football players? Nothing to this point shows we are.

3) I agree with you here. My only concern is how long does knew coach 'excitement' last? If we lose for 3-4 years, can we get enough hs talent to come to ISU to compete when Baylor, OSU, Tech, KU, MU, and Nebraska are all on the way up or much better than history would indicate? Sometimes that influx of talent from Juco can bridge the gap necessary to get wins and hs recruits. Brad Banks and Seneca Wallace are prime examples.

4) Our program saw heights it hadn't seen in 3 decades under McCarney. What killed Dan was not taking advantage of Nebraska being down and winning a championship or two. We have more of a commitment from Pollard now to make football a winning institution which helps the program. However, I hope we haven't financed the future of ISU football in hopes of winning 'too' quickly.

5) I think this is what we all hope to have happen. However, sometimes some of those things that are necessary for that to happen are out of ISU's control. KU and MU timed it perfectly with Nebraska being down and some extremely easy scheduling (we have that part taken care of for the next decade on the OOC side). It's harder for ISU to do that now, especially in the big 12, with MU and KU recruiting better, catching OU and Texas every two year north/south switch, and having another BCS level institution in our state that produces less than 10 BCS football recruits a year.

6) Agree. Chizik had is learning to be a head coach. His assistants are learning what it takes to be a BCS assistant. The question is do they have enough time to learn what it takes to win before losing the fans necessary for our program to succeed?

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I disagree that we have a green coaching staff. McFarland and Bolt are long time Def and Off cordinators. They are the ones making the play calls and from what I saw today (especially in the first half) the play calling has been horrible. How about 3 straight run plays when we had the wind in Nebraska territory, and they went no where. How about every 3 and 9 we had we do a 4 yard slant, or the zone option to the RB that we run 10 times a game. When will we see some creativity in our play calling, why was Bates and Arnaud never on the field together.

On a tangent I kept thinking why does it always feel like we are playing with one less player than every team we face. Then i counted and we were. at 3-9 Nebraska ran a screen for 16 to almost score and we only had 10 players on the field, how do you not notice that as a coach.

I like Chizik and the players we have on the field are good, but our assistant coaches suck.

I'm sorry but I'm so frustrated right now with how we are playing I can hardly stand it.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

I'm not giving up on the program but Robert McFarland scares me. It's not all his fault since we have some issues on offense(offensive line woes, young WRs, etc) but he's been less than impressive in his time here.

We'll see what happens. I still love Chizik and think if anybody can get it done here it's him.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    4) Our program saw heights it hadn't seen in 3 decades under McCarney. What killed Dan was not taking advantage of Nebraska being down and winning a championship or two. We have more of a commitment from Pollard now to make football a winning institution which helps the program. However, I hope we haven't financed the future of ISU football in hopes of winning 'too' quickly.
    The problem with Mac, is that it took him nearly 10 years to achieve mediocrity, and most of his "achievements" are the single-handed efforts of Loney.

In the end, Mac was fired because he was an awful coach. He was making the same mistakes in year 12 as in year 1.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 27

I don't think Chizik is the problem. Its the same situation with the Bears. Both coordinators suck. Bolt played this zone yesterday and Ganz just tore it a new hole and Bolt didn't adjust. They both have to get better if we want any chance of winning a game this year.

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 670
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by mcnemat View Post
    I disagree that we have a green coaching staff. McFarland and Bolt are long time Def and Off cordinators. They are the ones making the play calls and from what I saw today (especially in the first half) the play calling has been horrible. How about 3 straight run plays when we had the wind in Nebraska territory, and they went no where. How about every 3 and 9 we had we do a 4 yard slant, or the zone option to the RB that we run 10 times a game. When will we see some creativity in our play calling, why was Bates and Arnaud never on the field together.

On a tangent I kept thinking why does it always feel like we are playing with one less player than every team we face. Then i counted and we were. at 3-9 Nebraska ran a screen for 16 to almost score and we only had 10 players on the field, how do you not notice that as a coach.

I like Chizik and the players we have on the field are good, but our assistant coaches suck.

I'm sorry but I'm so frustrated right now with how we are playing I can hardly stand it.
    Really??

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 123

Quote Originally Posted by mcnemat View Post

Wow. wow. wow...

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 504

I've been an ISU fan since 1976 and I have yet to give up.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know if this has been brought up in any other threads, but I figured this thread was as good a place as any.

Did anybody listen to the call-in show on the radio after the game yesterday? (I'm sorry, I don't normally listen to the show, so I'm not going to be able to give the names of the hosts.)

There was one caller in particular who just made me laugh. He said he felt Cyclone fans should rise up and call for Jamie Pollard to be fired. He was going to just hang up after saying that until the guy hosting the show made him stay on the line to ask him why Pollard should be fired. The guy responded that Pollard fired two of the best coaches in the country. The radio host said he assumed he meant Dan McCarney and Wayne Morgan.

"No...not Morgan. I'm talking about...oh, I can't remember his name now. The guy who was after...uh...Floyd."

That'd be Larry Eustachy. And Pollard didn't fire him.

If you're going to go on a radio program and call for the athletic director to be fired, at least know what the hell you're talking about.

Rookie
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclones_R_GR8 View Post
    I've been an ISU fan since 1976 and I have yet to give up.
    Pardon me while I vent:

I have also been a fan since the early 70's and graduated from ISU in 1988...during some of the darkest times in Cyclone football. I did give up going to the games for 10 years until Coach Mac beat Iowa again and gave me hope for the program. Believe me, I'm not a fair weather fan....but there is only so much pain a Cyclone can endure. If we go 2-10 this year it's a huge blow to the morale of all of the Clone faithful. Yes we have a young team, yes it's only his second year...but we've already been slapped down big time by two other programs with first year coaches with similar talent.

Why is it that we're the ones that alway have to wait until the next year, or the next big recruit, or the next coaching change?

OK, now I'm just whining.......Jack Whitver said that Iowa is no better than us on the radio last night.......Maybe not 4 weeks ago, but they've smoked two conference teams in the last two weeks and we've been beat down by teams we should have competed with. There is something terribly wrong with this team right now! I'm not walking away like I did for 10 years, but I'm tired of watching us get our butts kicked and being the laughing stock of the State and Big 12.

(pop pill and think of a happy place......think of a happy place)

Loyal Sons for ever True

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd88 View Post
    OK, now I'm just whining.......Jack Whitver said that Iowa is no better than us on the radio last night.......Maybe not 4 weeks ago, but they've smoked two conference teams in the last two weeks and we've been beat down by teams we should have competed with.
    He is either drunk on kool-aid or just a fool if he believes that. I think Iowa & ISU were pretty evenly matched in the first few weeks of the season and if the Cy-Hawk game had been in Ames I think we would have won. But that was then, this is now. From what I can see they are getting better with each week while we are getting worse. Granted Iowa is playing mostly bad teams and the Big XII is a lot better than the Big10 overall, but we can't blame that when we are in a stretch of playing Baylor, Nebraska, and A&M.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 16

As a Cubs fan and a Cyclone fan, it will take a heckuva lot more that this current kick-to-the-crotch to make me give up on the team.

Now I know what it must be like to be Charlie Brown.

"The bass, the rock,
    The mic, the treble,
    I like my coffee black,
    Just like my metal."