Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Re: Official ISU-Nebraska Post Game Thread

I expected a lot more success in Chizik's second season, but saying he is failing is shortsighted.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    The bottom line is we're not going to be a very competitive team until we get exponentially better in the trenches.
    Agreed - what a lot of people don't understand right now is the coaching staff is working with either McCarney's poor recruits or Chizik's young recruits that simply are not ready for Big 12 play yet.

In fact, that's pretty much the story with the entire team - either they're McCarney's guys that aren't Big 12 caliber players or are Chizik's guys that have been here for a total of one year and aren't ready for Big 12 play yet.

In fact, I think people have forgotten that Chizik has already stated that we just don't have the talent here to compete yet. But I guess the "we must win right now" crowd would also expect Chizik to go undefeated in the Big 12 with the players from Des Moines North HS.

As far as us not being competitive, get back to me in 2-3 years when we're playing with all of Chizik's players. If not much has changed 2-3 years from now, I may consider jumping on the bandwagon. Unitl then, I'm not calling for a coach's head until unti they've been given a REAL chance to turn this thing around.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    I didn't hear that but has he completely forgotten 2007? What chance did we have to win the Texas Tech, Missouri, Kansas, and last but not least, the Texas game that year???
    I think you're confused, but that was his point. They didn't have a chance to win any games last year early in the season. They did this year. Hence, the team is better this year than last year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    We're damn lucky that we have McCarney's players on the field. Where would our defense be without Jesse Smith and Kurtis Taylor?
    Fire Mac, fine - just make sure you hire someone better. This team has no fire, which means the coaches are not leaders.
    Two decent players does not a successful recruiting class make.

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,258
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    We're damn lucky that we have McCarney's players on the field. Where would our defense be without Jesse Smith and Kurtis Taylor?
    Fire Mac, fine - just make sure you hire someone better. This team has no fire, which means the coaches are not leaders.
    You know where we'd be without Jesse Smith and Kurtis Taylor? A pretty bad football team.

They came out with fire. They forced three fumbles on the first possession, for ******'s sake. Fire doesn't matter when you're as bad in the trenches as we are.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    I expected a lot more success in Chizik's second season, but saying he is failing is shortsighted.
    I agree with this.

Rookie
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Guess what?

Without money you can't build better facilities.
    Without better facilities you can't recruit better talent.
    Without better talent you can't win.

We played this game throughout the entire 1980s and 1990s - how did not raising money to spend on significant facility improvements help us win in that era? Answer - it sunk us into an abysmal pit that we're still trying to recover from right now.

I'm sorry - if you don't think that all these facility improvements that JP's implementing is necessary, then you truly must be okay with mediocre (at best) performances by our athletic programs.
    It's not that I don't think we need these facility improvements, because we do. I just find it frustrating how we're spending all this money on improving our stadium rather than continuing to improve our practice facilities and such. How do you expect we fill a newly expanded stadium with a team that may continue to lose? If we invested more into developing our talent first, then we would begin to win and thus have more sellouts/near sellout games. Therein the need to expand the stadium. Further, we already have some pretty good facilities, so why not use some of this on more recruiting or weights or even better staff (strength & condintioning, I hear that's important). From this aspect I view it as Pollard wanting to make us into this perennial (spelling?) powerhouse overnight which just can't happen. Build up the TEAM, then follow with the STADIUM, just makes sense to me. No one is going to want to "invest" their millions of dollars in a team that can't win. So Pollard must've missed the memo on that...

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 5

Agreed - what a lot of people don't understand right now is the coaching staff is working with either McCarney's poor recruits or Chizik's young recruits that simply are not ready for Big 12 play yet.

In fact, that's pretty much the story with the entire team - either they're McCarney's guys that aren't Big 12 caliber players or are Chizik's guys that have been here for a total of one year and aren't ready for Big 12 play yet.

In fact, I think people have forgotten that Chizik has already stated that we just don't have the talent here to compete yet. But I guess the "we must win right now" crowd would also expect Chizik to go undefeated in the Big 12 with the players from Des Moines North HS.

As far as us not being competitive, get back to me in 2-3 years when we're playing with all of Chizik's players. If not much has changed 2-3 years from now, I may consider jumping on the bandwagon. Unitl then, I'm not calling for a coach's head until unti they've been given a REAL chance to turn this thing around.
    No matter how bad the players are, the coaching staff should be able to get the most out of those players every game. If anybody thinks this coaching staff is getting the most out of these players, I disagree.

I hope that changes.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I don't see any improvement in this team from game to game and that is what's disappointing to me right now.

Everyone else seems to be getting better...but not us.

Our coaches seem to be less than stellar on game day with questionable calls and a general lack of fire amongst the players.

I fully expected us to come out angry and play mad the whole game. It didn't look like we did. Then again, I thought we'd do the same at Baylor and we laid down there as well.

I understand the team is young, but there seems to be something going on that doesn't involve youth.

If I was an outsider looking in, I would say that we're not a well coached team.

A three legged dog walks into a bar and says, "I'm lookin' for the man who shot my paw."

Addict
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,258
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

For those of you who don't think Arnaud is hurt at all: we averaged 3.9 yards per pass attempt today with a quarterback that, when healthy, has a very strong arm. If Arnaud wasn't hurt, why have we had credible sources say that he is? If Arnaud wasn't hurt, why was Tiller warming up during the Baylor game?

But in this game, Arnaud didn't even matter. We wouldn't have won this game with Peyton Manning.

We had absolutely no chance to get a running game going. Our secondary had absolutely no chance with how much time Ganz got. In the trenches, we were manhandled.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by sunset View Post
    I guess we can hope our young players currently performing poorly will somehow improve, I'll agree with you there. But I've been around long enough to have heard that logic before (Meyers class being the latest).

The line is bad, so it's hard to say how good or bad the skill position players are. However, there are way too many examples of running routes short, running east-west when all you have to do is fall forward for a first down, etc. Arnaud has regressed, he was much better last year. Chizik supposedly recruits great athletes, but how do they compare to other Big12 freshmen/sophomores? Not favorably at this point.

I'll listen to logic, but blind hope and excuses about young players wear thin.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset View Post
    I don'tcare who's recruit he is, Chizik is his coach now. There is no logic error there.

Arnaud played enough last year to compare. He made throws last year and actually led the team when he was in. He has done that at times this year, certainly not the last few games nor for an entire game this year.
    First you accuse put the responsibility of bringing Arnaud on Chizik, then I correct you by saying that it was McCarney's recruit, then you come back by saying that you don't care who recruited him. Guess what - there's an error in logic there.

Like I said - 3-4 years from now, when we're playing with solely Chizik's players, if we're still struggling like this I might think differently. But until then I'm not changing my tune - Chizik gets his fair chance to turn this around, and a fair chance is not 1.5 seasons when he has a severe deprivation of talent to work with.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

I have been getting a lot of flack for calling for Chizik's job. A lot has been said about me. I don't know much, but I was an All-American athlete... My father started as a basketball player at Iowa State. I know at least a little about winning. Winning is a mentality and an attitude. Making excuses is not what winners do. Waiting to win is not what winners do. Waiting until next year is not what winners do. The time is now. Time to find a way to win. Period.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mwitt View Post
    For those of you who don't think Arnaud is hurt at all: we averaged 3.9 yards per pass attempt today with a quarterback that, when healthy, has a very strong arm. If Arnaud wasn't hurt, why have we had credible sources say that he is? If Arnaud wasn't hurt, why was Tiller warming up during the Baylor game?

But in this game, Arnaud didn't even matter. We wouldn't have won this game with Peyton Manning.

We had absolutely no chance to get a running game going. Our secondary had absolutely no chance with how much time Ganz got. In the trenches, we were manhandled.
    I have not heard about an injury, what happened?

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Any opinions on the play calling today?

I found out today why we don't use our tight ends -- they can't catch.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

First you accuse put the responsibility of bringing Arnaud on Chizik, then I correct you by saying that it was McCarney's recruit, then you come back by saying that you don't care who recruited him. Guess what - there's an error in logic there.

Like I said - 3-4 years from now, when we're playing with solely Chizik's players, if we're still struggling like this I might think differently. But until then I'm not changing my tune - Chizik gets his fair chance to turn this around, and a fair chance is not 1.5 seasons when he has a severe deprivation of talent to work with.
    At no point did I say Chizik recruited Arnaud.