Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

Recruit Rankings...

Not sure if anyone else caught this or not, but, Beau Blankenship and Kyle Lichtenberg have both been elevated by Rivals from 2* to 3* and i know this carries little in the eyes of most football fans. But, how i'm looking at it as, the players were evaluating and recruiting are surpassing a lot of analysts initial reports i really like our chances of continuing to put better athletes at all of our positions not just the skilled positions.

Consider James Carpenter - a nobody when ISU first recruited him, 2*, for whatever reason didnt make it to ISU as planned after committing and now he's coming in as a 4* tackle with all kinds of people calling for his services. We will know what type of kid he is if he commits to us, that tells me loyalty for this young man is a big part of who he is, we should all hope that he signs, he could potentially step right into a competition with Hulbert for the tackle spot left by Diedrick.

Is anyone else surprised that we've signed two significant RB's already and we have another coming on a visit - does that seem position heavy? I thought i had read somewhere that White may be converted to another position (Secondary) but his frame really does not speak to the type of players Chizik likes in the secondary.

I know a lot of people have been defiant in allowing S. Haughton to move to the other side of the ball - but our DT is a position that we need to be bigger, faster, and all around better athletes right away and i don't seen anything that leads me to believe that we have someone else on the roster that fills that position. We had heard about everything that Black was doing, and he was going to be holding down a starting spot, and right now he's sitting behind Nate Frere.

Defensive End - we need some talent soon. Considering we have 3 seniors leaving, and our other two players shown on the two deep depth chart will be seniors next year, we need some players on Defense.

Not sure what anyone else thinks, but, i think our offense barring a couple rough games is meeting my expectations for this year. However, our defense is playing lousy. No consistency. They seem to never be able to get off the field. All our offense needed in the KU game was one stop and we couldnt do it. I really think we have some players on the d side of things but for our teams longevity, i wished we were recruiting a bunch more defensive help because what was supposed to be our strength (Chizik) our defense needs a lot of help, so much so, i'm not sure i can point at any one position and say this is what we need!!!!

Just my 2 cents on recruiting the Great, the Good and the Ugly!!!!

Last edited by KMAC_ATTACK; 10-16-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Just Win Baby
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Re: Recruit Rankings...

I was going to post this yesterday when I saw that Beau got moved up to a 3 star. I continue to say that he looks like a better RB prospect than White IMO.

My baseball coach in college would tell me how he would recruit a lot of players. A high school coach would try to sell him on his second baseman and my coach would say, "tell me about your shortstop." A lot of times in high school a SS is the best athlete and can be moved to other positions. I think the same thing goes for a lot of RB's in high school and that might be what Chizik is going for. Get the best athletes and than see if they can play other positions. Slot WR, Safety, Corner, LB

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...tml#post675920

touched on it here, i think lichtenberg has been a 3 star since they put a rating on him though. nice to see, it must mean they are at the very least putting together good senior seasons and in the case of beau-a better than expected season

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

also a link to a free article about carpenter here:
    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...tml#post675919

Last edited by CYVADER; 10-16-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I remember chizik talking last year. When he went to high school coaches, he said let me talk to your best player and we'll go from there.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 65

yes a shortstop is fairly compareble to a running back in the sense that they are more than likely one of the best athletes on the team. so a move to safety, linebacker is completely within reason.

Husker Hater

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I think I mentioned in June that I thought this would be one of the best recruiting class Iowa State has ever seen. Of course, normally that would mean nothing coming from me, but the fact that Jon Miller objected told me I must not be that far off.

Anyway, I've not seen any reason to not believe that. This has to be one of the best recruiting classes ISU has put together by this time of the year. It seems like most of the recruits we get, wait to see what other schools get for recruiting and view ISU as a last resort. I still would not be surprised to see a couple of 4* recruits come in this season. There is always a SJ that comes in under the radar.

I don't know if anyone else does this, but ESPN has it's own rating system. Not the greatest, but it is good if you want see how ISU is doing compared to the rest of the Big12. Can't really do that with cyclone report.

ESPN - Big 12 College Football Recruiting 2009

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 14

I was a little surprised at the lack of commits to Okie St.

Commitment To Excellence

Rookie
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I was surprised at the commits to A&M.

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I don't know if anyone else does this, but ESPN has it's own rating system. Not the greatest, but it is good if you want see how ISU is doing compared to the rest of the Big12. Can't really do that with cyclone report.

ESPN - Big 12 College Football Recruiting 2009
    Rivals conference summary...

http://iowastate.rivals.com/teamrank...ar=2009&conf=0

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

i think a.j. klein may be the bes recruit to come out of this class

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BigM View Post
    Agreed. He seems to have a lot of leadership qualities. It wouldn't surprise me to see him play as a true reshman and then be a three year starter.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Disagree. Our defense is as good as our offense. When our defense gets a long field, and a rest, they make stops. That means our offense needs to put together drives. Our defense has played well enough to win games (except Baylor). Iowa they played well but the offense just didn't score. KU the defense played well except one quarter. The offense needed to get more points on the board or atleast sustain a drive or two inthe third quarter. Chizik said well. The offense feeds off the defense and the defense feeds off the offense. Problem is when the defense makes a stop, sometimes the offense sputters.
    Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Not sure what anyone else thinks, but, i think our offense barring a couple rough games is meeting my expectations for this year. However, our defense is playing lousy. No consistency. They seem to never be able to get off the field. All our offense needed in the KU game was one stop and we couldnt do it. I really think we have some players on the d side of things but for our teams longevity, i wished we were recruiting a bunch more defensive help because what was supposed to be our strength (Chizik) our defense needs a lot of help, so much so, i'm not sure i can point at any one position and say this is what we need!!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BigM View Post
    Agree. I love his film and he seems like he is dedicated.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Not sure if anyone else caught this or not, but, Beau Blankenship and Kyle Lichtenberg have both been elevated by Rivals from 2* to 3* and i know this carries little in the eyes of most football fans. But, how i'm looking at it as, the players were evaluating and recruiting are surpassing a lot of analysts initial reports i really like our chances of continuing to put better athletes at all of our positions not just the skilled positions.

Consider James Carpenter - a nobody when ISU first recruited him, 2*, for whatever reason didnt make it to ISU as planned after committing and now he's coming in as a 4* tackle with all kinds of people calling for his services. We will know what type of kid he is if he commits to us, that tells me loyalty for this young man is a big part of who he is, we should all hope that he signs, he could potentially step right into a competition with Hulbert for the tackle spot left by Diedrick.

Is anyone else surprised that we've signed two significant RB's already and we have another coming on a visit - does that seem position heavy? I thought i had read somewhere that White may be converted to another position (Secondary) but his frame really does not speak to the type of players Chizik likes in the secondary.

I know a lot of people have been defiant in allowing S. Haughton to move to the other side of the ball - but our DT is a position that we need to be bigger, faster, and all around better athletes right away and i don't seen anything that leads me to believe that we have someone else on the roster that fills that position. We had heard about everything that Black was doing, and he was going to be holding down a starting spot, and right now he's sitting behind Nate Frere.

Defensive End - we need some talent soon. Considering we have 3 seniors leaving, and our other two players shown on the two deep depth chart will be seniors next year, we need some players on Defense.

I think that when it's all said and done, we are going to have two 4*s in Carpenter and Reynolds and a bunch of 3*s. Easily one of the best recruiting rankings of the last 20 years if not the best.

I like Haughton at OT if he's as good as the coaches think. We need an injection of athleticism there and he fits the bill. At interior DL, it seems like they have the guys in the system to improve. McDonough is going to step right in and be a major part of the rotation next year. Ruempolhamer needs a year in the weightroom to be ready and IMO the only reason he's playing is that Bailey Johnson hasn't played a down yet. Ruempolhamer has only played in 3 games, so maybe he can get a medical redshirt.

Defensive End, I think that Maggitt is a future starter. Hopefully either Parker or Lyle can move over to the strong side. Martin could help. Sager would definitely help. I could see another JUCO in there too.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX