Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 890

Exploiting Nebraska's D

My Keys?

1. A roaring crowd from the first minute of kickoff.

2. By all accounts, Nebraska's linebackers are thin, due to injury. something we decidesly need to yake advantage of.

3. Ndamakung Suh (6-4 300) is a huge guy in the middle. I'm not sure about matchups, but I hope that Scott Haughton (6-3 350)takes a few licks at being bigger. Otherwise, I hope that Reggie Stephens (6-4 310), Ben Lamaak (6-5 310) and friends are up to the task. Will we have Mike Knapp back?

4. Watching the Va Tech and Missouri games, nebby's secondary blew coverages left and right--which we need to take advantage of the way Kansas did against us. I'll really hope they haven't drastically improved.

5. The Cyclones prosper when they win the battle of fireld position, and don't have to worry about sustaining eighty yard (or more) drives. Nebraska is last in the conference in net punting, something else to take advantage of.

6. They won't be playing in front of 80K Big Red fans...as fans, we have to make sure our team knows the difference.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Exploiting Nebraska's D

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    My Keys?

2. By all accounts, Nebraska's linebackers are thin, due to injury. something we decidesly need to yake advantage of.

3. Ndamakung Suh (6-4 300) is a huge guy in the middle. I'm not sure about matchups, but I hope that Scott Haughton (6-3 350)takes a few licks at being bigger. Otherwise, I hope that Reggie Stephens (6-4 310), Ben Lamaak (6-5 310) and friends are up to the task. Will we have Mike Knapp back?

4. Watching the Va Tech and Missouri games, nebby's secondary blew coverages left and right--which we need to take advantage of the way Kansas did against us. I'll really hope they haven't drastically improved.

5. The Cyclones prosper when they win the battle of fireld position, and don't have to worry about sustaining eighty yard (or more) drives. Nebraska is last in the conference in net punting, something else to take advantage of.

6. They won't be playing in front of 80K Big Red fans...as fans, we have to make sure our team knows the difference.
    If you watch the Tech game, I think that while Asante was able to get a lot of tackles, he was also responsible for allowing some of the deep plays. To me, he seems to want to hit rather than cover and a lot of times when the corners thought they had saftey help deep, he was lured in to the center. If we can stick with the running game (even if it's not gaining a lot of yards) I think we can exploit this and use play action to beat them deep.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 3

My Keys?

1. A roaring crowd from the time the team runs out of the tunnel.
    Fixed it

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

We need to take shots deep with Nebraska. They are very susceptible to the deep ball and are also week on the edge. I bet we will see bunch of options and WR screens.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree that it starts with the atmosphere at JTS. I want nebraska to take the field and be shocked at the intensity of the crowd. As far as on the field, I agree we can pass on them all day long but if we had 150 yds rushing and only 1 turnover, that would be the ballgame.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 595
    Given: 368

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    We need to take shots deep with Nebraska. They are very susceptible to the deep ball and are also week on the edge. I bet we will see bunch of options and WR screens.
    I agree. With a team that allows the big play and is thin at linebacker - we aught to be able to go up top and hit some intermediate passes.

I'd like to see some 3 or 4 wide sets that allow our tight-ends to get one-on-one with their linebackers.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My keys to success on Offense:

1) Establish a credible running game immediately (think Kansas game).

2) Use Play Action to draw in their thin LB corps and Asante (who likes to come up and hit, rather than cover).

3) In the drop-back passing game, run drag routes to cleared-out sides of the field to allow our slot receivers to catch and out-run the LBs that are covering them.

4) We need to scoreTouchdowns in the Red Zone, not FGs. This will require us to control the line of scrimmage. This will allow us to use Play Action on 1st/2nd Down (not just 3rd) to the TE/FB, or even naked QB boot (think Arnaud vs. UNLV).

Should be fun on Saturday. Go Cyclones!

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
    Fixed it
    Agreed. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ISU_Alum_2000 View Post

4) We need to score Touchdowns in the Red Zone, not FGs.
    I have to admit that I'd settle for scoring touchdowns from forty, fifty and sixty yards away--and even on special teams and defense.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Don't you mean from 5 to 10 minutes after kickoff when people will be arriving at their seats?

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    Don't you mean from 5 to 10 minutes after kickoff when people will be arriving at their seats?
    Oddly enough, no. That's why I said it was key.

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 68

Bump. It's less than 24 hours to game time and I'd like to hear what everyone is thinking right now.

The Nebraska offsense has Ganz averaging 300+ passing yards per game over his last nine games, and Lucky on track for another 1,000 yard season.

We have to exploit the D and score. How is this game going to play out?

Last edited by djkent01; 10-17-2008 at 02:11 PM.
    ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Couple of keys - by the way, can't wait to see the see of Gold for this game....
    Would love to see us put it on the cornholes and see those highlights on ESPN with a stadium full of gold, that would be cool!!!!

Anyhow, one major concern i have is everyone discussing what Tech and Missouri did to get matchups. From what i've seen of AA so far, he's becoming a little bit like Bret meyer in that he keys on a receiver and throws it. Well, if NU safetys are reading this as it sounds they are, that will put them in a position to make a lot of big hits or big plays. The difference that Tech and Missouri have is a QB that has the skill set to scan the field, read and react with the right decision. Not doggin AA, but, just not sure he's at that point yet....

Secondly, i've been let down big time by the involvement of our TE's. I thought Collin Franklin was going to be all world and that Catlett was capable of major mismatches. Now either our OLINE has struggled so mightily that we have to keep our TE in to block on every play, or AA is not finding them or whatever, i think its a part of our O that has been drastically underutilized.

Based on my observations both first hand but also on TV, it still appears our OLINE is being manhandled. Our QB is getting way too much pressure and our RB's don't seem to find any glaring holes to cut back through. Can anyone else shed light on our Olines performance and what needs to change to improve it?

I'm more fearful of their Offense putting us in a major hole and lighting it up against us. The one thing that Callahan did was recruit the heck out of talented Offensive players, they have some serious playmakers.

I hope my fears are all wrong and i will feel good if our Defense can rise to the occasion because i think we will score, but, not sure if we want to get into a scoring battle as we've done the last two weeks, we seem to come up a bit short!

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 685
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    I've been let down big time by the involvement of our TE's. I thought Collin Franklin was going to be all world and that Catlett was capable of major mismatches. Now either our OLINE has struggled so mightily that we have to keep our TE in to block on every play, or AA is not finding them or whatever, i think its a part of our O that has been drastically underutilized.
    Agree 1,000%. Last week at Baylor there was several plays where the TE was standing alone in the middle of the field but not seen. Given that Nebraska's LB's are thin and not a strength, this could be key this week.

ISU fans are the greatest in the world. All they ask for is hope and the belief that we have a chance to win every time we step on the field - Johnny Majors (paraphrased)

Ya gotta have the horses, man - Johnny Orr.

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 427
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post

I thought Collin Franklin was going to be all world.
    Colin Franklin is just that! just need the protection to let him go out on routes. maybe by the end of the year or for sure next year i think we'll see him explode..... I hope

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

First of all... great thread. I feel you, djkent01 (and KMAC). We definitely need more threads like these, for those that like to play unbiased arm-chair analyst.

The first series will tell a lot. On the opening TD drive against Kansas, we ran exclusively up the gut, either with ARob or Arnaud on the read-option. We were chewing up yards in chunks, and it really set the tone for the rest of the game. From there, the passing game really opened up, as you would expect.

As I said earlier, I believe the most important thing for us on Offense is to establish a credible ground game. Without it, we just don't have the ability to move the ball at-will through the air.

If we can force them to respect the run, and commit guys to the box, we should be able to throw when we WANT to, and not because we NEED to. If we can get in to that situation, against NUs pass Defense, we could be in great shape.

It's just critical that we are calling plays from the "2nd and 5" list, and not the "2nd and 9" list.