Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 8,485, Level: 27
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    BugDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    520
    Points
    8,485
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    So I am in the market for a new grill/bbq. I have been doing a bit a research online and have also put a call into my aunt that has one of these. She loves it and most of what I have read online has been positive. I would be interested if anyone out there has one and what they think of it. They are a bit spendy, but all models are $100 off at the moment with a free upgrade to the digital controller which seems like a must. I have been using propane for the last 10+ years and also have a charcoal smoker for smoking ribs, pork shoulders and salmon. My current propane grill has bit the dust and a new one that is decent will run me about $500 anyway.


    Last edited by BugDoc; 10-15-2008 at 12:47 AM.

  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 51,035, Level: 69
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,044
    Points
    51,035
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    BIG GREEN EGG.

    There is no substitute.



  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 11,464, Level: 32
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CyTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    706
    Points
    11,464
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    Do you have the Big Green Egg? What are some pluses and minuses if so? I've been contemplating buying one, but am not sure if I can justify the cash for it.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 20,352, Level: 43
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    flander1649's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,604
    Points
    20,352
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 28

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    If you are using it just at home they are nice very little work. If you do BBQ competitions using one is like cheating. We use Weber Bullets they are great. I have also heard great things about the green egg but expensive.


    Kyle S. Flander

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 51,035, Level: 69
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,044
    Points
    51,035
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyTom View Post
    Do you have the Big Green Egg? What are some pluses and minuses if so? I've been contemplating buying one, but am not sure if I can justify the cash for it.
    My Big Green Egg and I have just celebrated our second anniversary this past August. I've never been happier.

    Pluses:

    • Lights fast
    • Lump Charcoal Rules!
    • Excellent temperature control
    • Can get up around 1000 degrees F for searing meat the way Ruth's Chris does
    • Ceramic construction won't singe you if you brush up against it.
    • Can be used as a smoker, oven and tandoor.
    • Design allows for moister meats, and faster results.
    • It's my favorite toy.
    • Guaranteed for life.

    Minuses:

    • They cost an arm and a leg.



  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 8,485, Level: 27
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    BugDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    520
    Points
    8,485
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    How much are one of these Big Green Eggs? I looked up their site on the web, but didn't see any prices.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 8,485, Level: 27
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    BugDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    520
    Points
    8,485
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by flander1649 View Post
    If you are using it just at home they are nice very little work. If you do BBQ competitions using one is like cheating. We use Weber Bullets they are great. I have also heard great things about the green egg but expensive.

    I don't plan on entering any BBQ competitions, but I am curious as to why you consider it cheating? Is is because the grill does all the work? I am looking for a multiple purpose unit that can do everything from smoking meats to searing steaks and burgers. I am still interested in hearing from anyone that has a Traeger and how they like it.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    3,273
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by BugDoc View Post
    How much are one of these Big Green Eggs? I looked up their site on the web, but didn't see any prices.

    Between 350 and 700 depending on size.... Usually if a website doesn't list a price, you know it's going to be expensive!



  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 8,485, Level: 27
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    BugDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    520
    Points
    8,485
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    Bump. I am a bit surprised that no one seems to have one of these grills??



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 87,438, Level: 91
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,147
    Points
    87,438
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 68

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    Holland or Phoenix grill.

    Indirect heat rocks. Never have to worry about burning food.



  11. #11
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,544, Level: 27
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    ISUATC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    290
    Points
    8,544
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    I've got a Traeger and I love it!! From smoking to grilling to baking, hands down best investment I've made. I had a charcoal/wood smoker with a side pit for quite a few years. While I loved the food that came off it, I hated trying to control the temperature and adding more wood every hour or so. With the Traeger I can put a couple racks of ribs on in the morning and LEAVE and go watch my son's play football in the afternoon and come back to perfectly smoked ribs. As a grill, it does an awesome job as well, steaks, chicken burgers, etc.. I've baked pizzas ( frozen and take n bake ), biscuits, baked beans, you name it, and it's all good on there.
    Their customer service is awesome. After five months I had some rust show up on the edge of the lid and all they asked for was a picture and they sent me a new lid at no cost.
    You'll love your Traeger!!!


    Last edited by ISUATC; 10-15-2008 at 04:54 PM.

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 26,066, Level: 49
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,040
    Points
    26,066
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 20

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by BugDoc View Post
    So I am in the market for a new grill/bbq. I have been doing a bit a research online and have also put a call into my aunt that has one of these. She loves it and most of what I have read online has been positive. I would be interested if anyone out there has one and what they think of it. They are a bit spendy, but all models are $100 off at the moment with a free upgrade to the digital controller which seems like a must. I have been using propane for the last 10+ years and also have a charcoal smoker for smoking ribs, pork shoulders and salmon. My current propane grill has bit the dust and a new one that is decent will run me about $500 anyway.
    Who is having the sale? I've seen Traeger's at a local butcher-shop and have heard good things about them, they are pricey though. If I could pick one up at a reasonable price, I might give it a shot.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 53,707, Level: 71
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 343
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    uro cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,398
    Points
    53,707
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 91

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by mplscyclone View Post
    Between 350 and 700 depending on size.... Usually if a website doesn't list a price, you know it's going to be expensive!
    Typically about 700 for the large size, which is the most practical, allows you to cook for the family and larger groups. You can also plan on spending about another 100 bucks to get several "not included" accessories, but they are really necessary.....kind of annoying they aren't included...but after you eat something you have cooked on the BGE, you won't regret the cost



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 53,707, Level: 71
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 343
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    uro cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,398
    Points
    53,707
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 107
    Given: 91

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    My Big Green Egg and I have just celebrated our second anniversary this past August. I've never been happier.

    Pluses:

    • Lights fast
    • Lump Charcoal Rules!
    • Excellent temperature control
    • Can get up around 1000 degrees F for searing meat the way Ruth's Chris does
    • Ceramic construction won't singe you if you brush up against it.
    • Can be used as a smoker, oven and tandoor.
    • Design allows for moister meats, and faster results.
    • It's my favorite toy.
    • Guaranteed for life.

    Minuses:

    • They cost an arm and a leg.
    My egg just celebrated its 4th birthday
    I would echo all of the above sentiments....and to that I would add...

    • You can cook in the dead of winter....I have grilled in below 0 temperatures....try that with a gas grill
    • They last forever...I have heard of people with ceramic cookers that are over 20 years old...the cost will cover itself in the long-run
    • Save a few bucks, and build your own stand for it...there a plenty of plans out there on the inter-tubes

    Also...find someone who has one, and let them cook something for you...the results will speak volumes. I know several people who own BGEs, and everyone loves it



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,718
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

    Re: Traeger Grills - Anyone have one?

    Maybe I just don't understand how the egg works, but if you use good charcoal/wood what is the difference in a $900 egg and cheapo grill/smoker...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM