Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Post Same old ...

I love reading all these threads with the new hire, and the excitement within the football program. So I started thinking, "How can I contribute to this with my uncreative, general, boring personality." I realized very shortly that I cant.

So, I figure I might try to just do my own thing. Of course, I know that this has even been talked about to some extent to. So to save you the trouble, go read a different thread!

Ok, for those of you who are still reading, your loss.

Not too long ago, ISU athletics were really not in a place that has grabbed a hold and hung on to many of those who have been with us for as many years as they have. The teams were not where our legends would have really been proud of.

Our basketball program gets turned upside down by one coach, and kept under water with another. Nothing against these individuals for the ability to coach, but this was not there time nor place. Team play become more of a term instead of an action. The magic ultimately disappeared.

Iowa is a state about wrestling. We breath, live and die wrestling. We take it as seriously as Texas takes football. State tournaments as more popular than some other high school sports across the state. This sport takes the phrase corn fed to another level. ISU use to compete for the national title. Use to stay competitive at the top of the Big 12 and the other schools in the nation. Now I am not saying that this program wasn't successful in their own way, but again, it wasn't were it once was.

Football has been covered more in this state recently than the war in Iraq. The buzz around who should stay or go divided a very warming cyclone nation. A guy that no one ever thought five years ago would ever leave this state or this school, is not sitting at home watching what was his being taken over. And sure this hurts some, excites others, but I am sure saddens most. This was the toughest decision for someone to make, for someone to watch, and for someone to accept. But according to the gentleman that matters, it was time to move on.

So even after all this, we have some how gotten stronger. Stronger than maybe history would show. Instead of losing fans, we have gained more than ever before. Kids now grow up proud to wear yellow and gold. Alum are anxious to give their money to the university even after all the money they owe them in tuition. People never even attending the school are anxious enough to hand over money that they will never see again. And people show up in masses at Iowa City ready to yell at the top of their lungs, ISU! But why?

Three words will tell you why. McDermott, Sanderson, Chizik.

Fennelly is also a huge contributer to this triumph. This guy has been through it all. He lived through the Mac era and is ready to go through a new one. He has put up with the low recognition that his team steadily deserves, but handles himself with more enthusiasm and class than any AD would ask for. We have probably one of the most successful Womens Basketball coaches in the country and half the state doesn't know it. So in my book, this guy goes on top. He is our Dean of ISU coaches. He now becomes the face of ISU Athletics. Sure this is a stretch, but why not.

So you add the new seeds(McDermott, Sanderson, Chizik) to the Pot (Finely), you now how the ingredients to blossom one of the most successful athletic departments in the country.

All these guys have had their own accomplishments as people before arriving here at ISU. Each has done something to get them where they are today, without becoming egotistic or self absorbed in their own successes. They bring class, charisma, and energy to a family that is all of the above.

Some say we should be lucky to have such a group of people. And maybe we should be. But I think what brought all this our way is what we have had this whole time. But instead of accepting what was, we spoke and asked for more. These group of great guys didn't come here because of the money. They sure as heck didn't come here for the program. They came here because of us, because of the school, the faculty, and the Fans.

Be proud of who you are, who they are, and where we are going. The web site wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for you. And these coaches, wouldn't either.

Today, tomorrow, and the days following are not dream, so dont pinch yourself. The best are yet to come!

Last edited by guitarchitect7; 11-28-2006 at 10:06 AM.
    "You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Re: Same old ...

Was our asistant AD the interim football coach? Guess he retired today again.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 169

I agree. If we as fans don't make our goals and desires known, they will never be achieved. That's my opinion anyways.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Come on, it is Bill Fennelly, not Finely or Finley.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by PolkCityClone View Post
    Come on, it is Bill Fennelly, not Finely or Finley.
    Thats what I have. JK

I appreciate it, I wasn't sure and will admit, Im not the best speller.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks